High volume of guests from similar IP

Tom S.

I can see in my online users list a lot of guests (15+) coming from the same/similar IP.

guests.thumb.png.8fc74d3e918f5d9b41228ca00c597835.png

What do you guys think this might be? Should I be concerned? Should I block the IP?

Has anyone come across this type of situation before?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup, amongst other tools. 🙂

Most of those appear to originate from France, I'd not (personally) be massively concerned about that unless it gets out of hand.

Do you have a robots.txt present ? I'm thinking of something like a crawl-delay parameter here:

User-agent: *

crawl-delay: 30

(or 60 perhaps) its seconds

I think some bots ignore it though, but it may help if you don't have one at all...

If they don't slow down my site I do no action. Some weeks ago there were bots causing heavy impact on my server load and I blocked the IP's in ACP.

2 hours ago, AndyF said:

I'm thinking of something like a crawl-delay parameter here:

Thanks for the suggestion, didn't know you can add delay parameters. I just read some sites regarding this and this can slow down site indexing if you have a lot of pages to index. And not all bots will follow this parameter.

57 minutes ago, Ramsesx said:

And not all bots will follow this parameter.

True.

I think from memory GoogleBot does not (or did not) but that was quite a long time ago I looked. You'd need to use their webmaster tool set to introduce a delay to slow this one down although its not usually a cause of concern I found. 🙂 

On 11/17/2018 at 6:46 AM, Tom S. said:

I can see in my online users list a lot of guests (15+) coming from the same/similar IP.

guests.thumb.png.8fc74d3e918f5d9b41228ca00c597835.png

What do you guys think this might be? Should I be concerned? Should I block the IP?

Has anyone come across this type of situation before?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

That block of IP's resolve to OVH hosting in France. Though interestingly, they show as being a block of "Failover IP's".

Not certain what that phrase means, but personally I'd just block the range of 54.36.148.0 to 54.36.151.255 if that happens again. (It may be a rogue search engine.)

In CIDR format that would be: 54.36.148.0/22

I don't believe CIDR format can be used in the software ban settings, however you can use 4 separate entries with wildcards.

54.36.148.*
54.36.149.*
54.36.150.*
54.36.151.*

But this really should be done on the server level, in the server Firewall, so that they don't even see a "You aren't permitted to visit" error.

An .htaccess file can be used as well, but the firewall is preferred.

Archived