Developers selling default options

Ramsesx

Now after I bought a second plugin offering something not necessary if using the latest IPS release, it would be really nice to place a big bold notification in the product description at the marketplace.

Something like this:

Hey, this application is only needed if you are below 4.3 because then it was implemented by default. 

Thank you.

I understand your concerns and just saw your reviewe. Althought I do it in my resources (example), IPS uses a compatibility field in the marketplace. In your case:

o77N48y.jpg

Unless this is not updated (it will be empty so you should see the last date the file was updated), that's the proper way to do it.

Actually, it wasn't a "default option" when released... IPS added it later.

27 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

I understand your concerns and just saw your reviewe. Althought I do it in my resources (example), IPS uses a compatibility field in the marketplace. In your case:

o77N48y.jpg

Unless this is not updated (it will be empty so you should see the last date the file was updated), that's the proper way to do it.

Actually, it wasn't a "default option" when released... IPS added it later.

Thanks Adriano, sure, it was basically my fault. But it would be fair if a developer makes it more clear (like you are doing it, thankfully) than just adding the compatibility version . Unless the dev is strongly dependent receiving some pocket money from some users buying it by accident.

This is really more feedback for the developers who participate in our marketplace than it is for us - we don't have the capability to review and tag all resources in this manner, but third party developers are certainly free to use the compatibility field and/or edit their file description to make things like this clear.

Why would you 'retire' an addon just because IPS baked it into core?  Not all clients update right away, just because IPS put a feature into 4.3, doesn't mean the addon isn't still of value for those that are using 4.2 or older... 

Sure, the developer needs to be honest in their listing about their app / plugin not being needed for IPS x.x, but that's only if it's been tested against the updated version.  As Adriano mentioned, if the compatibility box isn't shown for the IPS version you're using you should contact the developer first. I see this as being a client issue beyond that.  It's up to the client to make sure they understand if the IPS core can handle what they are trying to achieve... If not, understand not only the compatibility of any application they purchase, or asking the developer beforehand, but also exactly what that file will help them achieve.

Frankly, it's a bit presumptuous to put the onus entirely on developers for this problem because the client either didn't read, nor understand, what it is they were purchasing and why.

54 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

Frankly, it's a bit presumptuous to put the onus entirely on developers for this problem because the client either didn't read, nor understand, what it is they were purchasing and why.

It was just a kind request to all developers adding an informational line into their marketplace item descriptions. Shouldn't be hard to do so. Thanks.

Sorry @Ramsesx.  We love you bro, but you gotta admit, this was a dumb purchase on your part (and only your part).  You know it, we know it, and now it's time for some peppermint mocha  for everyone. 

Also, I'm sure if you realized your honest mistake, then you can contact the developer who will refund and / or update the file description for other users.  It's a reasonable request that should be fulfilled.  

Just now, Joel R said:

Sorry @Ramsesx.  We love you bro, but you gotta admit, this was a dumb purchase on your part (and only your part).  You know it, we know it, and now it's time for some peppermint mocha  for everyone. 

Sure, it was dumb from my side, no doubt about this. But to avoid future purchases by mistake from idiots like me, it would be sweet to have an additional information in the descriptions.

By the way, I love you too Joel.  :biggrin:

Archived