Users locked accounts

Genestoy

Can you narrow this down at all , By this I mean are those effected all using the same browser perhaps ? 🙂

Custom theme ? If so a quick check to see if the author offers an upgraded one. Does not seem that likely for a minor point upgrade to cause this though.

Did it appear to start after the upgrade ? The only thing that springs to mind here is cached browser data but that does not seem too likely, but although not terribly practical you could maybe suggest:

1. They temporarily try another browser to see if they can login OK or not

2. Or they could clear their browser cache out*** and try.

***Unfortunately I have found asking people to do (2) is not always that successful, in that they say they have but they have not.

Were you at one time using version 3 of the IPS software, and these users are ones who have not changed their password in a very long time?

If so, it may be due to a security enhancement regarding password values which changed in a recent version, and the solution is for them to simply change their password via the password recovery feature (click the "Forgot your password?" link in the login box).

But if the above conditions do not apply to your install, please open a ticket to Support so we can take a look.

7 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Were you at one time using version 3 of the IPS software, and these users are ones who have not changed their password in a very long time?

If so, it may be due to a security enhancement regarding password values which changed in a recent version, and the solution is for them to simply change their password via the password recovery feature (click the "Forgot your password?" link in the login box).

But if the above conditions do not apply to your install, please open a ticket to Support so we can take a look.

Mark,

Yes these members have been on the forum for many years using version 3, I have asked them to change their passwords and we will see of that cures it.

Thanks

17 hours ago, Mark H said:

Well, that would explain it for my forum too, having recently upgraded from v.3 to 4... I had a number of contact messages from members who hadn't visited in a long time, saying they couldn't log in, and the Login Logs app also kept showing me repeated failed logins from old members after I sent a bulk email announcing the upgrade. Some of my older members go back to IPB v.1!

Maybe I'll send another bulk email, this time to advise them of this.

I don't know offhand if you ever used what was 'IP.Converge' on the 2x series and early 3x series perhaps if that would have any effect on this, I doubt it *unless* the member initially created their account via Converge and not via the board 'register' page itself, but given what I can recall (without digging it out, installing it, probably sorting Ioncube out as well etc, upgrading a few times, testing etc) I cannot be sure.

No, I didn't use IP.Converge, not to my memory anyway. I initially had v.1 (free at the time) installed via cPanel's Fantastico as I hadn't the first clue in those days about manual installations. IPS did most major upgrades for me, right up to v.4 (as I wasn't able to do the latter myself due to a problem).

try to run this into mysql toolbox:

SELECT member_id, name, members_pass_hash, members_pass_salt
FROM core_members
WHERE members_pass_hash <> '' and members_pass_salt = ''

and check there are not row fetched, if you have then you have same issue I have reported on clientarea for another client.

edit \system\Login\Handler\Standard\Standard.php as follow and try to inform user to retry login

image.thumb.png.8af47483bff5cb6694b7eeadd0df8065.png

Archived