Test Site (Can toss this in the bin!)

ahc

I know a lot of IPS clients have test versions of their website.  I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to be able to do that myself?  I'm confused a little bit about "test install" keys and the like, or where I'd find this information.  I found an old topic about it but the links within are broken.

@GASR

As per the documentation, you just add -TESTINSTALL parameter after your license key during installation to make it a test install:

Make sure you choose a decent location for your test install, because once you activate it as a test install, the URL will be added to your license as a "test URL". You won't be able to change it later easily so make sure it's a folder you always have access to in case you need to setup another test install later.

• 4 weeks later...

I do have a question about the test install site.  I realize it doesn't have to be "local" but DOES have to be restricted from public access... 

Let's say I put it out on my VPS, get it all set up like I want is it a simple matter of of changing my URL for it in the Customer panel here and then moving the test site into my root location where the script was that I'm replacing and then removing the -TESTINSTALL?

I should add this would be a site that was a conversion from another script that is currently running in root location.

10 hours ago, Tracy Perry said:

I do have a question about the test install site.  I realize it doesn't have to be "local" but DOES have to be restricted from public access... 

Let's say I put it out on my VPS, get it all set up like I want is it a simple matter of of changing my URL for it in the Customer panel here and then moving the test site into my root location where the script was that I'm replacing and then removing the -TESTINSTALL?

I should add this would be a site that was a conversion from another script that is currently running in root location.

Still requires the -TESTINSTALL

Need to setup the new test url in Client Area (or notify IPS) and if change more than once within 6 months there is a charge (so be certain of the url and that you want it at that url for at least 6 months)

50 minutes ago, steve00 said:

Still requires the -TESTINSTALL

Need to setup the new test url in Client Area (or notify IPS) and if change more than once within 6 months there is a charge (so be certain of the url and that you want it at that url for at least 6 months)

Didn't see anywhere to set up a URL for a test install... assumed that their checking software was smart enough to see the -TESTINSTALL and realize what it was.
I realize that for the developers copy you need the -TESTINSTALL, but if a decision to go live with it is made, doesn't that have to be removed?   Otherwise what happenswhen you are already using it on your development site.

It looks like (to me) that it does honor the -TESTINSTALL on an actual domain that is available on a VPS as a different install - which I don't mind it doing.  I can set up my server with VMWare and do localhost here at the house but really don't need more than development install.

I guess my other main question had to do with if I do decide to go live with it since it's on a different domain do I change that domain up to point at the new site in the ACP then export the DB and copy the files over and then import into a new DB, setting the config file up to reflect the new credentials.

1 hour ago, Tracy Perry said:

Didn't see anywhere to set up a URL for a test install... assumed that their checking software was smart enough to see the -TESTINSTALL and realize what it was.
I realize that for the developers copy you need the -TESTINSTALL, but if a decision to go live with it is made, doesn't that have to be removed?   Otherwise what happenswhen you are already using it on your development site.

It looks like (to me) that it does honor the -TESTINSTALL on an actual domain that is available on a VPS as a different install - which I don't mind it doing.  I can set up my server with VMWare and do localhost here at the house but really don't need more than development install.

I guess my other main question had to do with if I do decide to go live with it since it's on a different domain do I change that domain up to point at the new site in the ACP then export the DB and copy the files over and then import into a new DB, setting the config file up to reflect the new credentials.

-TESTINSTALL is for that purpose only.

If you already have a live site the  you would export from test install to import to live site

If you change your testinstall to a live site then you would have to change the url of live site in Client Area (which then starts to get confusing) so you may as well use the testinstall as a forum for testing only and live site for exactly that (as mentioned can export themes, apps etc from testinstall to live site)

Should find url's in the Manage Purchase >> Licensed url's (if never set up test forum before then you will probably need to contact IPS to add to your list of Licensed url's)

7 minutes ago, steve00 said:

If you change your testinstall to a live site then you would have to change the url of live site in Client Area (which then starts to get confusing) so you may as well use the testinstall as a forum for testing only and live site for exactly that (as mentioned can export themes, apps etc from testinstall to live site)

Which is exactly what i'm doing... I have a live site running and a test site walled off from public access by password and IP restriction.  On said test site I'm testing import issues and styling issues.  That -TESTINSTALL site is tied to an actual domain which it will be for 6 months unless I pay to change it (which I don't see a need to do as if I do transfer from where my life site is to the XF site it will remain a devel site for that one.

46 minutes ago, Tracy Perry said:

Which is exactly what i'm doing... I have a live site running and a test site walled off from public access by password and IP restriction.  On said test site I'm testing import issues and styling issues.  That -TESTINSTALL site is tied to an actual domain which it will be for 6 months unless I pay to change it (which I don't see a need to do as if I do transfer from where my life site is to the XF site it will remain a devel site for that one.

which is what I mentioned previously,

thought you were asking how to set up testinstall with an actual domain (not that you already had testinstall already set for a url) and were trying to work out best way to do it

3 hours ago, steve00 said:

thought you were asking how to set up testinstall with an actual domain (not that you already had testinstall already set for a url) and were trying to work out best way to do it

No - main thing is the moving from the test install to the live site (Entire DB).  I'm wondering if doing a IPS -> IPS import would work, that is if IPS is capable of that.  If not it's a DB, copy files over and then change the URL(s) hopefully.

I believe you're able to convert an IPS into another IPS site. I've read of other users who have done that to combine IPS installations, so I don't see why it can't be imported into a blank one.  

Submit a ticket if you need to change your test install url.  They won't charge if they know its a legitimate move.  

Archived