App image dependencies using CSS background-image

bikedorkseattle

I'm working on my first application that is using jQuery DataTables. I've figured out how to load the JS and CSS files by putting them in the execute method in the controller, however I'm a bit stumped on how to properly add the images that come bundled with DataTables and are called in the CSS. The apps CSS is here: 

forum/applications/core/interface/css/css.php?css=applications/tripreport/dev/css/front/datatables.css&v=18dfebd6d5

and it's looking for the images here which is throwing a 404:

forum/applications/core/interface/css/DataTables-1.10.16/images/sort_both.png

My question is if you are bundling images in an app how do you properly call these? I'm under the impression I need to change the DataTables CSS to call them in a similar manner as documented here?

@Stuart Silvester I appreciate the reply. I do think your table solution is pretty great, in this instance I need the features of DataTables because this data is not coming from IPB. Forget for a moment I'm doing this for tables, is my assumption correct that I'll need to add something like the following code in the CSS url argument to get this to work?

url('{resource="example.jpg" app="yourapp" location="front"}')

2 hours ago, bikedorkseattle said:

@Stuart Silvester I appreciate the reply. I do think your table solution is pretty great, in this instance I need the features of DataTables because this data is not coming from IPB. Forget for a moment I'm doing this for tables, is my assumption correct that I'll need to add something like the following code in the CSS url argument to get this to work?

url('{resource="example.jpg" app="yourapp" location="front"}')

20 hours ago, bikedorkseattle said:

I'm working on my first application that is using jQuery DataTables. I've figured out how to load the JS and CSS files by putting them in the execute method in the controller, however I'm a bit stumped on how to properly add the images that come bundled with DataTables and are called in the CSS. The apps CSS is here: 

forum/applications/core/interface/css/css.php?css=applications/tripreport/dev/css/front/datatables.css&v=18dfebd6d5

and it's looking for the images here which is throwing a 404:

forum/applications/core/interface/css/DataTables-1.10.16/images/sort_both.png

My question is if you are bundling images in an app how do you properly call these? I'm under the impression I need to change the DataTables CSS to call them in a similar manner as documented here?

I can't see what's in datatables.css, but as a general guideline any third party code should indeed be located under the interface directory (but for your application, not the core application). You should be able to use the resource tag for this like:

url('{resource="css/DataTables-1.10.16/images/sort_both.png" app="tripreport" location="interface"}')

Archived