4.2.1 Upgrade Error

oogrmick

I followed the automatic upgrade from with AdminCP, logged in to my account and the files downloaded and began extracting. When I next glanced at the screen the update had failed with an error of 'too many redirects'. I can no longer access my website or gain access to the AdminCP.

I've been advised by support that it's a server error but I've not had any problems before using the auto update method from within the AdminCP. I've never had problems with 'too many redirects' either and my website was performing perfectly just prior to the attempted update. 

Not sure what to do right now but just a warning to others as to what can and might happen.

1 hour ago, oogrmick said:

I followed the automatic upgrade from with AdminCP, logged in to my account and the files downloaded and began extracting. When I next glanced at the screen the update had failed with an error of 'too many redirects'. I can no longer access my website or gain access to the AdminCP.

I've been advised by support that it's a server error but I've not had any problems before using the auto update method from within the AdminCP. I've never had problems with 'too many redirects' either and my website was performing perfectly just prior to the attempted update. 

Not sure what to do right now but just a warning to others as to what can and might happen.

Have you tried to run the upgrade from url (url_to_your_forum/admin/upgrade)

Had to try that once and it carried on upgrading from where left off

Yes I tried that too. No luck I'm afraid. I am unable to access the admin/upgrade/ folder - all I get is the "too many redirects" problem. I can however access admin/install/ (without the redirects problem but of course locked to prevent reinstallation) and also the admin/convertutf8/ folder (again process locked, but no redirect problems).

I've had to revert back to my previous version 4.1.19 in order to get a functioning website - not good

3 hours ago, oogrmick said:

Yes I tried that too. No luck I'm afraid. I am unable to access the admin/upgrade/ folder - all I get is the "too many redirects" problem. I can however access admin/install/ (without the redirects problem but of course locked to prevent reinstallation) and also the admin/convertutf8/ folder (again process locked, but no redirect problems).

I've had to revert back to my previous version 4.1.19 in order to get a functioning website - not good

1. Download the full package from the Client Area and upload.

2.  Ask IPS Support for an error message that you can actually pass on to your server admin.  Ask for it to be escalated to @Rhett for him to help you diagnose.  

9 hours ago, oogrmick said:

The upgrades between major versions are best done manually. i.e. the way described in the posts above.

I've just attempted a manual upgrade. Uploaded the complete download overwriting all current files but the redirect problem occurs almost immediately and when the upload completes I still have no access to the admin/upgrade folder in order to upgrade the forum.

Just out of interest, are there any specific tasks required before attempting the upgrade, ie. file permissions? Are the files within the admin folder uploaded as is, or to the location of your 'renamed' admin folder? I've tried both ways without luck but just thought I'd ask as it isn't made clear anywhere.

3 hours ago, oogrmick said:

I've just attempted a manual upgrade. Uploaded the complete download overwriting all current files but the redirect problem occurs almost immediately and when the upload completes I still have no access to the admin/upgrade folder in order to upgrade the forum.

Just out of interest, are there any specific tasks required before attempting the upgrade, ie. file permissions? Are the files within the admin folder uploaded as is, or to the location of your 'renamed' admin folder? I've tried both ways without luck but just thought I'd ask as it isn't made clear anywhere.

The only task required before an upgrade is a backup of the database. If you have renamed your admin folder, then you must upload there the contents of the admin folder from the Ipb package. 

I have no plugins installed and no customisations to any files - everything is bog standard running the default theme.

Invision support have attempted to upgrade for me but still without any success. I can revert to 4.1.19.4 through my backups but clearly at the moment I can go no further. I'm told that nothing has changed with V4.2 but something must be amiss somewhere.

After all the expenditure, is this the end of the road?

On 7/31/2017 at 9:41 PM, Joel R said:

1. Download the full package from the Client Area and upload.

2.  Ask IPS Support for an error message that you can actually pass on to your server admin.  Ask for it to be escalated to @Rhett for him to help you diagnose.  

Why is the going assumption that most IPB clients aren't server Admins? Quite frankly I find it disrespectful. Even server Admin's run into problems from time to time and need to ask for support, particularly when the problem has to do with software packages that they are unfamiliar with.  Does it not occur to people that server Admins might use this forum for support as well? Or that the people who but the software might actually be Administrators of the server that they put it on?

Hi, we're also getting an error upgrading...

1 - upgrade went to a "Setup in progress" page, stuck there.

2 - Tried upgrade from url (url_to_your_forum/admin/upgrade), brings up login but then goes to blank page after completing details.

Any other ideas how to bump this along?

==

Okay, started a fresh upgrade via the upgrade specific URL but now we're stuck on step 7:

Table 'ibf_core_member_history' already exists 
/home/user/public_html/forum/applications/core/setup/upg_101100/upgrade.php::362

Both "Retry" and "Continue" just loop back to that message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Archived