New Device Notification

Dave58

Six days in with 4.2 (beta) and I like the device notifications and it seems like a good thing. However, for some reason one of my members is getting the same notification every day - same O/S, same browser, same location. He's forwarding them to me via email as proof and it's getting a bit irritating. I've asked him to just delete them and stop forwarding them, but he just says "stop sending them to me then." None of the other members are complaining about anything similar, but checking around it seems that there's nothing I can do to turn it off for an individual. It would be handy if members could toggle this on and off in the notification settings. 

8 hours ago, MADMAN32395 said:

is he one of those super paranoid people and deletes cookies and disabled cookies as well? thats what its checking for.

A good possibility. I'd ask him but he'd probably call me a nosey $%&^.

It sounds like he might be using private browsing or otherwise clearing his cookies which makes the system think it's a new device (because of course, it's not consistently identifying itself as the user has set it to). If you submit a ticket though we'd be happy to take a look and see if we can figure out exactly what's happening.

Thoughts that spring to mind are a shared login on a family computer with one browser and wanting to erase the possibility of someone in the household finding out what sites are being used (plus not having the sense to maybe use an incognito window for some sites). Still paranoia though. :D

Well, just state to him:

"This is how the community works. If it doesn't suit your needs, you can search for another one. From now on, i will ignore your messages. Bye"

Sometimes its easier and healthier to kick out some problematic individuals than keep constantly losing time and patience trying to please them (which usually doesn't happen anyway) while you could be doing other more productive things.

6 hours ago, Dave58 said:

Thoughts that spring to mind are a shared login on a family computer with one browser and wanting to erase the possibility of someone in the household finding out what sites are being used (plus not having the sense to maybe use an incognito window for some sites). Still paranoia though. :D

Windows or Linux you just build a separate user account and password it. That way no one can see what your doing then and has to have the password to see any of your files or stored data. Like this laptop I've got my account for business but also got MoparMom's account too so she can use my laptop when we travel. She can't damage my business data and/or web site work.

5 hours ago, xtech said:

Well, just state to him:

"This is how the community works. If it doesn't suit your needs, you can search for another one. From now on, i will ignore your messages. Bye"

Sometimes its easier and healthier to kick out some problematic individuals than keep constantly losing time and patience trying to please them (which usually doesn't happen anyway) while you could be doing other more productive things.

Sometimes you bend over backward help people to be happy at your site and the ones that non-productive then you do just like you said above. Like I had a single user having a problem with registering a new user account knowing I want him on the site for my purposes I went the extra mile and built his account for him. If it was anyone else I would blame his PC or software. As for my website, I know the new user registration is working just fine.

Still funny to see paranoid people and what they do to keep "big brother" or "family members" from tracking their usage of the internet. Again still you have to be popular or famous enough for someone what to take start tracking your internet usage. 

The user isn't any sort of newbie though. He's been a registered member since 2003. Some just see any sorts of change as a crisis. Anyway, I told him how to put a delete filter into his gmail for 'New Device Login'. :)

On 6/28/2017 at 4:34 PM, xtech said:

Well, just state to him:

I like how the avatar of @xtech is a picture of Jesus.  You know, the whole "patience" and "forgiveness" thing.

Apparently even Jesus has limits when running his IPS community :lol:

Archived