H1 and H2 tags as style elements in the editor

KentT

Since the SEO tools available are pointing out the shortage of H1 and H2 tags, I recommend that the default IPS editor setup have these tags available, controlled via persmissions (I don't want the users tagging the heck out of everything) and displayed in the default style sheets and templates....

Shouldn't be a big thing to do, and would improve SEO for the output of the entire suite...

If this capability is already there, out of the box, then please point out where I can enable it...

I understand I can create custom buttons, but:

1. Must I create one for each Heading level of H1, H2, etc?  

2.  How will those styles be rendered in the default style sheets and templates? Will it impact font, size, bold, or other attributes?  It should...

I'm accustomed to an editor that allows me to select from the available styles supported in the specific style sheet from a list...  then each element has it's own settings of font, size, and attributes (bold, italics, etc.)  That's how I am accustomed to using style sheets.  

There seems to be inconsistencies also in how all the plug-ins and add-on Marketplace applications handle these tags and where they are used, if at all.  I'm not sure how much is defined and provided there by the IPS defaults.  I certainly don't see options in those add-ons and plug-ins to choose  which, if any, Heading tags are used. Some don't seem to use them at all, some use H3, etc.  Perhaps more definition of defaults by IPS would improve consistency overall.    

That's what I was suggesting as an "out of the box" experience...  

12 minutes ago, KentT said:

I understand I can create custom buttons, but:

1. Must I create one for each Heading level of H1, H2, etc?  

Depends on how many you want to offer/use. I guess you could also use the option tag to give the user the choice to select H1 to H6 with one button. 

2.  How will those styles be rendered in the default style sheets and templates? Will it impact font, size, bold, or other attributes?  It should...

They would inherit the theme’s styling for those headings. If you wanted more control you could also add CSS classes. 

There seems to be inconsistencies also in how all the plug-ins and add-on Marketplace applications handle these tags and where they are used, if at all.  … Perhaps more definition of defaults by IPS would improve consistency overall.    

I certainly agree to that. There should be style guide which shows for example which HTML tags widgets should use when showing entries, categories, user names and so on. 

5 minutes ago, opentype said:

They would inherit the theme’s styling for those headings. If you wanted more control you could also add CSS classes. 

Exactly -- you must understand CSS and dig into the themes and templates to see all this.  If they came predefined in the GUI and corresponding style sheet(s), it would make it so much easier for a new, non-techie to experiment and see the result...

11 minutes ago, Rikki said:

I'm not sure most users would need the h1-h6 options, but I could certainly get behind "Heading" and "Subheading" buttons by default. That would be nice for formatting posts, I think.

If using Pages, you need at least some of them... I think H1 may be page title, but all the lower levels are missing.

On 2/14/2017 at 7:29 AM, KentT said:

I recommend that the default IPS editor setup have these tags available, controlled via persmissions (I don't want the users tagging the heck out of everything)

Is this possible ATM? I'd add H1/H2 buttons to the editor if I could also limit their use to moderators and admins.

18 minutes ago, David T. Cole said:

Is this possible ATM? I'd add H1/H2 buttons to the editor if I could also limit their use to moderators and admins.

You should be able to, following the example ;from  @opentype above, though I have not tried it. I think you can control a "custom editor setup" via permissions. I do not know what it would look like with default style sheets, nor where you would need to add/edit those style sheets to define or change the style..  That's why I suggest that IPS be installed with those by default.  It should be an easy thing to do for the base configuration. Then it would simply be a matter of enabling/disabling them or changing permissions, as desired.

11 minutes ago, David T. Cole said:

The CSS part isn't the issue for me but that any buttons added are then available for all groups. I don't see that addressed above.

If you click on any button it the Toolbar Setup in the ACP it will bring up this dialogue:

toolbar-setup.thumb.jpg.053b8a795ae575de22ab4e4f2c827c95.jpg

Archived