Unpublish urls (when deleting topics) with a 301 redirect

Hello,

i read somewhere that this

Unpublish urls (when deleting topics) with a 301 redirect or another kind of redirect

is a must  . 

Is it, and if yes how can this be done? 

we have certain sections that are used as diaries for pregnant moms (and other daily chatforums), that get deleted every 3 months.  they gather up aprox 300.000 posts, which generate ofcourse many links. 

The whole forum has about 1.700.000 posts, so those 300.000 -400.000 posts everytime are a large sum/percentage.

for seo reasons i would like to know if this is possible, if anyone has done it, if you think this would make a difference  and if yes if you know anyone who would do this for me

(plugin? )

I have 2 sites and both have issues like this with frequent need to delete things so i would need it for both. 

thank you very much. 

(i read it in a seo audit to do list)

the content that i mean, is deleted, not moved. unpublish is the same as you delete something,   or am i wrong?    In general, if you take as a fact that those posts need to be deleted every 3 months, and they take up a big percentage of the whole site, is  there in your knowledge a seo specific /google procedure that should be done - ?  thank you for your input!

i will describe in case this helps you to see if they are valuable or not  =  the moms use one link that produces 100s posts per day/week, and use that link for couple months. this link becomes their bookmark for at least 2-3 months and this involves +-1.000 users.  who visit that certain link over that time.   they are called "coffee topics" where each one writes the procedure of how the pregnancy is developing, current medical advice their doctor gives and any pain or whatever symptom they get during the day :-) . this is how its used. ist kind of like psychotherapy for hormone crazed (they do make you crazy sometimes) women.   so, its valuable for that time,  and later on because this certain link has many hits on it ofcourse. 

I wouldnt be deleting them if they were not too many to sustain.  but they have to go, be renewed every x months.   for example this, opened in november, and has 5.254 posts.     

topicthousand.thumb.png.8557b3648045b880512bd8de496fba9a.png

there are topics like this,  in many subjects   (navy/naval wives-moms,  diet moms, moms in ivf procedure etc etc  ) which each produce those topics,  and once in a while they get renewed, we close the old ones and put them in a garbage bin section and open new topics in their places- the garbage bin, gathers +-200.000 posts in maybe 6 months of time.  

so its rather view important links with tons of posts on them everytime.

Since there always is  a replacement topic  for every deleted  topic of that kind,

if i would decide to do a 301 , is there a way for me to do it via ips or should i just give the topic links  to my system admin,  everytime sending him

the old link   and the new topic  that has been made in its place? 

the best ofcourse would be  a plugin  for me since if I would do it, its a repetitive procedure.  

and if we are talking about it then i would also have to ask this:

is there a best maximum post number  per topic, which it shouldnt  exceed - in order to not dare the systems/server resources . ?????

the best for me would be an automated procedure that closes x topic when it exceeds given  number of posts, and then opens a new one with the same title! (wow that would make my life easier, and i kind of suspect that might be possible..?)

9 minutes ago, MeMaBlue said:

is there a best maximum post number  per topic, which it shouldnt  exceed - in order to not dare the systems/server resources . ?????

the best for me would be an automated procedure that closes x topic when it exceeds given  number of posts, and then opens a new one with the same title! (wow that would make my life easier, and i kind of suspect that might be possible..?)

You don't need to - I have topics with >80 000 posts in, and they work fine.

Archived