5x Increased disc usage (in comparison to before ips4)

Hello, 

new database size is 15gb whereas the vbulletin db size was 3gb

it seems the difference is due to the existence of full text indexes files for some of the tables
 we're using the innodb mysql engine for the new database
  is there any way we can claim back the disk used for the full text indices ?

any tips? 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, marklcfc said:

So if i change from myisam to innodb is my database going to go from 5gb to 15gb?

Yes this is true. It creates a problem when gou migrate and have all the backups and suddenly no space because you never expected it.

I posted a ticket for it and researched it, nothing can be done. 

It creates a problem when gou migrate and have all the backups and suddenly no space because you never expected it.

You should know how big is your database before you transfer to another server and get a server with enough disk space for it :)

I posted a ticket for it and researched it, nothing can be done.

That's how it works and that's normal.There is nothing broken to get a fix....

Whether the trade-off between storage use and the features offered by InnoDB (crash-safety, transactions, and foreign keys) favours InnoDB is something you will have to decide on.

@ASTRAPI in our case, we had little margin of time,   and had to go from  vbulletin 3.8,   to IPB 3.4  then to UTF8   then Upgrade from IPB 3.4 to IPB 4.1 

imagine if you have a 80 gb  disk and a 5 gb database, you might think it will be enough, but then ,some of these stages /backup  / step is tripled in size   ;-)  

i am not talking at all about the trade-off. just about the planning beforehead and knowing WHY your database is tripling,  my IT didnt know and we lost a lot of time trying to figure out if something was wrong.  (something is/might be wrong = you dont go ahead with the next step of the procedure......!!!!)

So i think it would be good if the next somebody tries that, he knows what to expect - no time lost, no worries, just extra GB. 

For me it sounds that something old/not needed anymore left there ?

Don't know but you may open a support ticket so IPB support will check it.

It is normal to get around triple size only if you was using MyISAM and you convert the tables to InnoDB .....

Archived