uploading photos from iphone

kar3n2

is there any way  when adding a topic to choose files directly from my iphone which is connected to my laptop?

It doesnt seem to recognise the connection else i would be able to go insde my photos and click to add the image.  hmmm  Its a pity really because its a lot of work having to upload them to desktop first etc.

Due to the file storage apple use I doubt that will ever happen. Although you can simply connect the phone to the computer and access the pictures through my computer, highlight which ones you want and copy them to a folder of your choice on the PC (Windows). If using the photos app you can right click the picture (if on a MAC) and show contents, it will show where the photos are stored.

For me, the easiest way is to connect to PC/MAC and copy the files directly from the phone and store elsewhere.

it always has to get complicated eh?  been researching all sorts to import my photos but thats another story for another day and not really the fault of the forums...  :cry:

it wants me to upload to icloud storage but as ive got so many I have to start paying   duh

I decided to give this a try when accessing my forums from iphone.  It appeared to be ok (found the camera roll ok and let me select the photo) until I came to "upload" a photo when it simply decided to fail the upload. "there was a problem uploading the file"

I checked the allowances for photo sizes and Ive got them set at unlimited. Is anyone else accessing their forums on iphone and still unable to upload a photo from your iphone camera roll?   I mean as attachments below a post ie   "choose files"

7 minutes ago, opentype said:

Most likely reason: the (iPhone camera?) image is just too large to be processed on the server. I don’t mean the file upload size you set, but the processing of the pixels itself. Try with a smaller image and see if it works then. If so, that’s the problem. 

ohh I never knew we could make iphone images smaller. I just thought they all the same size :cry:

OMG i see what you mean now. I went to edit in iphone and cropped the image so it must've reduced the size of it.  Now its uploaded ok to a post  

8 minutes ago, opentype said:

Most likely reason: the (iPhone camera?) image is just too large to be processed on the server. I don’t mean the file upload size you set, but the processing of the pixels itself. Try with a smaller image and see if it works then. If so, that’s the problem. 

Yep.  I've had a couple iPhone users report the same issue.  The solution it so drop the resolution on the photos stored. 

so let me get my head around this. What to say to my members. 

To upload photos from your iphone when you are logged into the site from your iphone, make sure to reduce the size of the photo by editing and cropping first. ( they are bound to ask me why and reduce to what size :cry: )

There should be resolution settings on the phone for the camera itself -- likely High, Medium and Low (with corresponding dimensions/pixel count).  Just have them set their camera to Medium resolution. Else, they need to edit and crop or resize them.  I'm not sure what the resolution limits are -- on my site 4-6mb pics get processed routinely.  It likely depends on the server your site is on, also. So, one size does not fit all....

38 minutes ago, KentT said:

There should be resolution settings on the phone for the camera itself -- likely High, Medium and Low (with corresponding dimensions/pixel count).  Just have them set their camera to Medium resolution. Else, they need to edit and crop or resize them.  I'm not sure what the resolution limits are -- on my site 4-6mb pics get processed routinely.  It likely depends on the server your site is on, also. So, one size does not fit all....

Ill ask my web host what sizes he allows on my server then

says server allows 128mb.  Not that im any the wiser

Hi Karen,

You could try this, it's linked to what Opentype was talking about (a server resource/processing issue not an actual iOS compatibility issue)....

I used to have problems with IP.Gallery (back on 3.1) with it running out of memory (displaying a blank screen) when resizing very large uploaded images taken from member's digital cameras (huge files!). Today cameras produce even larger images, I don't know about you but I still currently limit photos to 1920x1080, 4K resolution on another site, so the PHP scripts/server have to do some work to resize larger/huge images.

The problem at the time was down to the Memory Limit setting in PHP. Mine was set to 128MB which was the minimum requirement for 3.1 at the time, changing it to 512MB fixed it (thanks to Jim's response in a support ticket) and I've never had a problem since, even though modern smartphone images are now much bigger.

It would take the pressure off your server if the user resizes an image first, especially if uploading large batches, but they shouldn't really have too from a convenience perspective just because they have a modern phone, or if they are only uploading a few images it shouldn't be a huge deal your server.

To check your current PHP Memory Limit setting, go to Support in AdminCP and click on PHP Info (it's over on the right side), then scroll down the page a little and it's listed under the Core section.

If it's set too low such as 128MB, perhaps if your on Shared Hosting, you can increase it for your requirements by editing your conf_global file in your IPS root folder by carefully adding the following line to say 512MB, or editing it to a higher value if it's already there...

ini_set( 'memory_limit', '512M' );

(Note the B is missing from 512MB, leave the B off!)

Save the changes and check your PHP info again, it should show the amended higher memory limit.

IPS will have more room to breathe in terms of memory limit.

It may help, I don't know, but I'm having no problems resizing 16MB smartphone photos these days with that 512M setting.

Today's IPS4.1 may actually require or benefit from more than 512, I don't know.

2 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Hi Karen,

You could try this, it's linked to what Opentype was talking about (a server resource/processing issue not an actual iOS compatibility issue)....

I used to have problems with IP.Gallery (back on 3.1) with it running out of memory (displaying a blank screen) when resizing very large uploaded images taken from member's digital cameras (huge files!). Today cameras produce even larger images, I don't know about you but I still currently limit photos to 1920x1080, 4K resolution on another site, so the PHP scripts/server have to do some work to resize larger/huge images.

The problem at the time was down to the Memory Limit setting in PHP. Mine was set to 128MB which was the minimum requirement for 3.1 at the time, changing it to 512MB fixed it (thanks to Jim's response in a support ticket) and I've never had a problem since, even though modern smartphone images are now much bigger.

It would take the pressure off your server if the user resizes an image first, especially if uploading large batches, but they shouldn't really have too from a convenience perspective just because they have a modern phone, or if they are only uploading a few images it shouldn't be a huge deal your server.

To check your current PHP Memory Limit setting, go to Support in AdminCP and click on PHP Info (it's over on the right side), then scroll down the page a little and it's listed under the Core section.

If it's set too low such as 128MB, perhaps if your on Shared Hosting, you can increase it for your requirements by editing your conf_global file in your IPS root folder by carefully adding the following line to say 512MB, or editing it to a higher value if it's already there...

ini_set( 'memory_limit', '512M' );

(Note the B is missing from 512MB, leave the B off!)

Save the changes and check your PHP info again, it should show the amended higher memory limit.

IPS will have more room to breathe in terms of memory limit.

It may help, I don't know, but I'm having no problems resizing 16MB smartphone photos these days with that 512M setting.

Today's IPS4.1 may actually require or benefit from more than 512, I don't know.

WOW. I'm on my iPhone at the moment so I'll pass all this onto my web host on Skype later see that he gets it done.  

I wasn't gonna be happy telling folks to resize first but now I can just mention it if they care to save on my server load that it's a nice thing to do if they have the time maybe ?

Archived