Ban Evaders

Towal Moore

Hello! We are having a problem with people coming back after they are banned, or having multiple accounts in violation of our TOU. We have the CJ Duplicate Member logger running already, but it's not catching everyone (from what I can tell, it doesn't work cross browser or after a cache / cookie clear). Does anyone have any good sql queries or tools or tips they are using to combat this problem?

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, Optic14 said:

Sorry to bump this but I have similar concerns.

Members possibly making alter ego accounts, any way to better detect them (e.g via a cookie + cross-check user agent) ?

I had an addon on XenForo that could help detect "alter ego" accounts.

Have a look at this app. 

But again, their IP doesn't change.  If you suspect someone is using an evasion account you can use IPS' built in IP address tools to verify.  That obviously doesn't help if they are using a VPN or have changed their IP, but it does address those that think incognito will protect them.

2 hours ago, Aiwa said:

But again, their IP doesn't change.  If you suspect someone is using an evasion account you can use IPS' built in IP address tools to verify.  That obviously doesn't help if they are using a VPN or have changed their IP, but it does address those that think incognito will protect them.

I understand but my argument was about the app not being effective. I already know about IP address tools but it would be nice to have something else that does the work automatically and presents the duplicate accounts to the admin.

23 minutes ago, David.. said:

I understand but my argument was about the app not being effective. I already know about IP address tools but it would be nice to have something else that does the work automatically and presents the duplicate accounts to the admin.

Have you considered to post your suggestions at the app 's support topic to make it working to your likings? 

Or alternatively, you can put in a request for a new app to be developed for you.

11 hours ago, David.. said:
15 hours ago, Faqole said:

Have a look at this app. 

Thanks, cookie check looks promising.

As others have stated IP check for duplicate accounts is very unreliable. And of course there are so many disposable email services out there - it's impossible to blacklist them all.

Yes, going incognitio does bypass cookie check but it's better than nothing.

Archived