4.1 Navigation (single bar) should have no hover delay

ehren.

The tabbed navigation in 4.1 applies the .ipsNavBar_active class to <li>'s once the mouse has hovered over the top and stopped moving. For tabbed navigation, this is fine.

But if the navigation has been merged into one line (ie. if there is no secondary bar present), the delayed .ipsNavBar_active class should not be applied to hovered navigation links, and it also shouldn't be removed from the actual active page.

An example of this can be seen in the announcement video at 8:35. When "Browse" is hovered, the .ipsNavBar_active class is applied to that link and removed from the "View New Content" link. Instead of this behaviour, "View New Content" should always stay active and "Browse" should simply adopt the :hover style (just like the 4.0 navigation). The .ipsNavBar_active class should not be applied after a split second, since that page isn't the "active" page.. May not seem like a huge issue for most people, but it's terrible from a designer and UX perspective.. I know many of my customers will come to me asking for a solution which I obviously won't have! :)

8 minutes ago, Ken Johnson said:

I think the delay is nice to have because it'd be annoying if it'd instantly switch to each tab when you skim your mouse over the nav bars, but I do think there should be an easy way to change or remove it for custom themes.

I think the title of this topic is a bit misleading when actually reading the post.

The active tab shouldn't change at all when mosuing over a different tab, when there's no second-level menu.

23 minutes ago, Ken Johnson said:

I think the delay is nice to have because it'd be annoying if it'd instantly switch to each tab when you skim your mouse over the nav bars, but I do think there should be an easy way to change or remove it for custom themes.

You may not have read my entire first post.. I agree that the delay is fine for tabbed navigation when there is a second row, but that's not what my post is about. A delay is not needed when the second bar has been removed. From a UX perspective, it makes no sense for tabs to become "active" when they are simply being hovered over, not to mention the faux lag which is experienced.

13 minutes ago, Vikestart said:

I think the title of this topic is a bit misleading when actually reading the post.

The active tab shouldn't change at all when mosuing over a different tab, when there's no second-level menu.

Correct. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been unable to test this in 4.1 beta since I already have a 4.0 test install (which I cannot upgrade currently). For those of you with a 4.1 installation, is the .ipsNavBar_active class still incorrectly applied to "hovered links" if there is only one line of navigation?

3 hours ago, Rikki said:

The class is still applied, but there's no delay.

I appreciate the no delay, but adding the class is still incorrect. This really needs to be fixed before shipping the final version of 4.1.0

The "single" navigation bar should behave exactly the same as 4.0. The .ipsNavBar_active class should only be used on the active link. It shouldn't be added to links when they are simply hovered over.. that's what the :hover property is for ;)

I tend to agree with ehren. Yes, it's arguably minor, but there is really no point to adding a class with js when the css :hover selector is more efficient, and faster. Even with no delay, i still see the styling for :hover before the js adds the .ipsNavBar_active class. Not really seeing the point of the js, if you want it to look like that on hover, style it that way?

Archived