4.0 with memcache, APC, xcache?

ctrlbrk

ACP -> System -> Advanced Configuration -> Data Storage 

By default IPS have file cached enabled but you can chose Mysql and any cache method you want 

The data storage method is used by various systems to save arbitrary data. If caching is enabled, using the MySQL Database provides the best performance for most environments, otherwise using the File System is usually best.

E3-1275 v2, 32GB, 2x1TB Samsung 850 Pro R1, Debian 8, kernel 4.0.4, MariaDB 10.0, IPB 4.0.  Dedicated server.  Zero activity on this box except for my test.  Brand new IPB 4.0 installation, there is one post on the forum, default skin.  All tests used the same source server config with webpagetest site.  All caches are local (127.0.0.1).  On each new config, the services were restarted so that the 'first view' would be an accurate representation of an uncached thread being viewed.

No cache:

Document CompleteFully Loaded
 Load TimeFirst ByteStart RenderSpeed IndexDOM ElementsTimeRequestsBytes InTimeRequestsBytes InCost
First View2.482s0.321s2.395s24013822.482s211,020 KB2.537s211,022 KB$$$--
Repeat View0.722s0.287s0.724s7013820.722s112 KB0.722s112 KB 

Redis cache:

Load TimeFirst ByteStart RenderSpeed IndexDOM ElementsTimeRequestsBytes InTimeRequestsBytes InCost
First View2.890s0.693s2.891s29023822.890s211,020 KB2.945s211,022 KB$$$--
Repeat View1.295s0.586s1.279s13023821.295s112 KB1.295s112 KB 

APC cache:

First View2.920s0.611s2.795s28013822.920s211,103 KB2.983s211,104 KB$$$--
Repeat View0.960s0.559s0.962s10013820.960s112 KB0.960s112 KB 

Memcached:

First View2.929s0.662s2.894s29003822.929s211,020 KB2.989s211,022 KB$$$--
Repeat View0.653s0.236s0.655s7003820.653s112 KB0.653s112 KB

These results are interesting.  Aside from the disappointing performance, I also noticed the APC test version generated an extra 83kb of traffic for reasons unknown.  I re-ran it a few more times and couldn't duplicate that behavior.

In ACP, just search for memcache. Its always the easiest way to find something.

​I like the search feature.  But even though I have minimum 2 char length, the search box requires 4 characters before it starts producing results.

show variables like 'ft_min_word_len';
+-----------------+-------+
| Variable_name   | Value |
| ft_min_word_len | 2     |

Thanks, I found it.  Anyone have comments on using Redis vs Memcache vs APC?  I am a fan of Redis in my own development projects, but not sure about IPB performance.

​Memcache is the only one where you can enable cache pages for guests. So in the end, is the best one for IPS.

​Memcache is the only one where you can enable cache pages for guests. So in the end, is the best one for IPS.

​The option for guest caching is present on Redis and APC as well, according to my admin cp.

Interesting test results. I was just setting up a redis container and enabled caching. Less scientific, but it felt slower, maybe I'm getting old. It's only me using it between a couple of incognito sessions...

I've also got a memcache container waiting. Once I've sorted another issue, I'll probably get to throw some load testing on and see. I suspect, the non-cache response time & load will rocket as we head up the RPS chart.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have results that contradict mine?  As it stands, it seems "no cache" produces the fastest consistent load times.  Which is beyond reason... ??

@ctrlbrk What did you use to test/produce report?  I can run it against my test setup as well and see how it compares to yours.

Hi, with my 4.0.8.1 and a 6gb database of a forum since 2005 the memcache performance is awful while apcu is pretty fast.

Interesting...what are you using for opcache?  Are you running php-fpm too?  In my testing, memcached was the fastest option, it blew away Redis too.  I'm using Zend Opcace, MySQL for "data storage method', and memcached for Caching Method.

Interesting...what are you using for opcache?  Are you running php-fpm too?  In my testing, memcached was the fastest option, it blew away Redis too.  I'm using Zend Opcace, MySQL for "data storage method', and memcached for Caching Method.

php-fpm with 5.6.9's built in opcache on debian 8 with nginx.

What version of memcached are you using? And what memcache extention for php?

Running on Ubuntu 14.04.2 with the following stock packages:

apt-cache showpkg memcached
Package: memcached
Versions:
1.4.14-0ubuntu9 (/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)

apt-cache showpkg php5-memcached
Package: php5-memcached
Versions:
2.1.0-6build1 (/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)

php-fpm with 5.6.9's built in opcache on debian 8 with nginx.

Would you mind sharing how you are doing your testing?  I can run it against my test install and test the various caching methods, and we can compare apples to apples then!

Thanks!

Running on Ubuntu 14.04.2 with the following stock packages:

apt-cache showpkg memcached
Package: memcached
Versions:
1.4.14-0ubuntu9 (/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)

apt-cache showpkg php5-memcached
Package: php5-memcached
Versions:
2.1.0-6build1 (/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)

You are using a Memcached build that is 3 years old. Maybe its the cause of being slow.

You are using a Memcached build that is 3 years old. Maybe its the cause of being slow.

2 things...

1. I have watched this thread, and have not received emails on any of the updates, sounds like a bug if any IPS admins are watching.

2. I'm not complaining of slowness, quite the opposite, I'm able to get over 700 RPS using apache bench.  As for memcached I've looked for someone packaging newer releases for 14.04 but haven't found them, any pointers here would be appreciated.

Archived