Prefixes - an add-on

Bruce_man

-- don't know where this belongs, but here is an idea I think people will want

I just found out that tags and prefixes are practically one in the same. I though prefixes had its own feature like in Vbulletin where you can simply create prefixes and even assign different colors to them

perhaps someone can create an add-on? one where you can create as much prefixes as you want, set which groups can use it and which forums can it be used in, change color and even have its own image

so upon creating a topic, the creator can simply select one of the pre-created prefixes

For example for a gaming forum, one prefix could be PS4 or PS3 or even Sony to cover both PS4 and PS3 for a general, non-specific topic

---

Reason behind separating tags and prefixes is that tags you have to type them in, whereas with prefixes you can simply select from a drop-down menu...so it's a bit quicker

the current setup now is if one wants to create prefixes, they would need to create a defined set of tags, but again the user will still need to type it in

• 1 month later...

I will vote topic prefix if they add this to feature plan.

However, I won't use advanced tags and prefixes, as it is based on tag system, and I will have tags if I add prefix, it's quite weird...

IPS should officially add Prefix feature, so we can define topic types per forum.

​REALLY REALLY don't care much for tags as I don't use it

Prefixes however could increase the appeal of a forum and I find it to be much more important

hope someone makes a strictly prefix add-on

I personally think that the tagging system is a much more powerful framework for identifying content, INCLUDING prefixes.  If you'd like to create a closed-end system of prefixes ... then make a closed-end system of tags from which users will select.  

While I agree that the UIX for tagging can be better (more colors! more formatting!) but to request title prefixes by itself is a very narrow view of content tagging.  

• 2 weeks later...

The prefix system works but the implementation is very confusing. It took me a while to realize how to add prefixes and the system is actually quite powerful, albeit very difficult to use and see at a glance. The truth is that I find that community tagging without limits could be one of the most useless inventions ever created. Forcing prefixes to create focused metadata is where it's at, although I don't think IPS4 is structured to do that more than traditional prefixes.

I will vote topic prefix if they add this to feature plan.

However, I won't use advanced tags and prefixes, as it is based on tag system, and I will have tags if I add prefix, it's quite weird...

IPS should officially add Prefix feature, so we can define topic types per forum.

​For what it's worth, my app allows you to use prefixes with or without tags (on forums). If you want colored prefixes only, you can do that. A 4.0 version will be released soon.

I can't speak for IPS's plans, of course.

I think I was one of Ryan's first customers. Personally I felt it filled a major hole in IPS 3 and the thought process and work going into implementing it made it one of the best addons I had. While I'm loath to replace core items, I'd have to say that I'd be willing to see what Ryan is doing for IPS 4 and consider it an option that may see growth and development even sooner. Glad to hear it's coming.

​For what it's worth, my app allows you to use prefixes with or without tags (on forums). If you want colored prefixes only, you can do that. A 4.0 version will be released soon.

I can't speak for IPS's plans, of course.

​How fantastic news is this! :lol:  I just bought it and will be using it for IPB 4. :smile:

Archived