Ability to add Youtube and equivalent videos to gallery?

Gimpymoo

• 2 weeks later...

I struggled to include an example in my original post, but I have now came across a situation which explains it well I feel.

I have created a thread on a specific product.

As youtube videos are released for this product, I have to link each one to the op in the thread, this can end in a beastly post as more videos are added.

It would be much more organised if I could create an "Album" and place such youtube videos via embeds in this album and just link that album in the op.

Adding Youtube and other streaming links to gallery would enhance it to the next level I feel.

IP.Gallery is an image gallery, not a media gallery.  

You'll need to create a custom IP.Pages database with a custom display template, but you could essentially create your own media system from scratch with a variety of media embeds.

Then why does Gallery natively support and allow Videos to be inserted and viewable within the community?

​I'm not sure what you mean, you'll need to explain more?  IP.Gallery doesn't control the media embeds for the rest of the community.  IP.Gallery only allows uploads of gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, and png.  

​I'm not sure what you mean, you'll need to explain more?  IP.Gallery doesn't control the media embeds for the rest of the community.  IP.Gallery only allows uploads of gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, and png.  

​I have added a screenshot to the above post.

I assume you have not used Gallery in 4.0 yet?

Oh I see, I was basing the file types upon the IPS installation here in the company forums.  

It's not a bad suggestion.  IP.Downloads in 3.x allows third-party hosted files, so it would make sense to offer referenced video files hosted elsewhere.   

• 1 month later...

Not sure how this isn't a part of Gallery yet, here is my quote from another topic. 

Also right now you have the group setting: Can upload movies? 

Then there should also be a category setting (to allow images/videos or both) so we can separate photo and video galleries, and so members don't end up uploading images to a video gallery and vice versa, unless we want them to. And when video is enabled it allows links, and only uploads if the group setting is on.

Thanks

​We shouldn't have to buy Pages just to create a new Gallery that accepts video links.

I want Gallery to do it. All they have to do is add the field, then we can create special video categories and allow direct uploads or video embeds or both. It's just logical. They already allow video, just not links.

I want to use Gallery's ratings and features. Not an app or Pages etc.

• 2 months later...

I have many event photos and few videos, so it's no sense for me to setup 3rd party Video modules.

Videos uploaded on customers servers make a lot of headaches: bandwidth, space on the server, need to convert and compress videos before uploading (which reduces the quality). YouTube embedding is much more useful then current video uploading function in general.

Archived