Who's Online cut off time

Will Munny

• 4 years later...

This who was online plug in does not allow anonymous users to remain anonymous.

All I want to do is change the time setting so my board doesn't look like a ghost town, but at the same time allow the few who want to remain anonymous to do so.

Why isn't the time frame an adjustable setting? 

3 hours ago, Lisa~ said:

All I want to do is change the time setting so my board doesn't look like a ghost town, but at the same time allow the few who want to remain anonymous to do so.

Users online since 4.0 (2015) uses php sessions, which have a default session length of 1440 seconds (24 minutes). This isn't something the software can edit and is a server side setting that can not likely be adjusted for many other reasons. What some users have done to overcome this is use one of the third party item (linked above) that show the number of active users in the last 24 hours on the bottom of the site instead of the current logged in users.  

21 hours ago, Lisa~ said:

One trick to not look like a ghost town:

Instead of using the block for Online Users, use the Members block.  

Show the last X users, sorted by Last Activity.  Then simply name the block as Online Users or Recent Members or whatever you want.  

On 5/18/2020 at 12:07 AM, Rhett said:

Users online since 4.0 (2015) uses php sessions, which have a default session length of 1440 seconds (24 minutes). This isn't something the software can edit and is a server side setting that can not likely be adjusted for many other reasons. What some users have done to overcome this is use one of the third party item (linked above) that show the number of active users in the last 24 hours on the bottom of the site instead of the current logged in users.  

19 hours ago, Joel R said:

One trick to not look like a ghost town:

Instead of using the block for Online Users, use the Members block.  

Show the last X users, sorted by Last Activity.  Then simply name the block as Online Users or Recent Members or whatever you want.  

This must be THE very patient Rhett reminding me I'd have known this if I had upgraded the software even once between 2011 and now?  :p  Yes, I've learned my lesson! 

Since that plug in shows anon users, my paying users did not like it. So, I use it on Pages to entice Guests to register with a 6 hour cut off and in ascending order, which shows a ton of users and makes it confusing enough (listing and time wise) for paying users to be okay with it.  I use the Who's Online on the Forum because it's accurate and they want to know who's online and how many anon, etc.. I did have to explain and literally demonstrate to the anon users that they can see themselves on the Forum lists, but are anon to everyone else. This wasn't an issue with the Who's Online from years ago.

Now I'm working on why my Google Ads are not working. Javascript disabled...?