Beta 6 worse than Beta 5

steve00

Afraid for me Beta 6 is worse than Beta 5

As a 'skinner' it is now more confusing and am disappointed with it.

No idea what is happening at IPS but now themes are getting confusing

There is a Themes folder with theme id and all files/folders within (including html & css files)

But you also have an uploads folder with a css_built_id_number and a set_resources_id_number folder, the css file here also has a string of hex numbers before and after the filename (where ID_number is ID number of theme)

Trying to read the custom.css files and it has removed all spacing and line breaks etc and everything is all jumbled together making it difficult to read.

Why not use resources folder for images and scripts etc not for css

This is really confusing, why not leave the css files where they were in the themes folder area

Really hope this is going to change, as for me this is a backward step.

Afraid for me Beta 6 is worse than Beta 5

As a 'skinner' it is now more confusing and am disappointed with it.

No idea what is happening at IPS but now themes are getting confusing

There is a Themes folder with theme id and all files/folders within (including html & css files)

But you also have an uploads folder with a css_built_id_number and a set_resources_id_number folder, the css file here also has a string of hex numbers before and after the filename (where ID_number is ID number of theme)

Trying to read the custom.css files and it has removed all spacing and line breaks etc and everything is all jumbled together making it difficult to read.

Why not use resources folder for images and scripts etc not for css

This is really confusing, why not leave the css files where they were in the themes folder area

Really hope this is going to change, as for me this is a backward step.

​You shouldn't be editing anything inside the 'uploads' folder. Enable designers_mode and edit your theme inside the 'themes' folder.

Nope, am not even using designers mode anymore as appears can do same by using the 'Edit HTML/CSS' button .... unless that is for something else ... this is why am saying confusing ... there is Designers Mode and there is 'Edit HTML/CSS' ... which is the one to use ?

am just pointing out it is confusing, where do I upload my images to out of all those places ???

Nope, am not even using designers mode anymore as appears can do same by using the 'Edit HTML/CSS' button .... unless that is for something else ... this is why am saying confusing ... there is Designers Mode and there is 'Edit HTML/CSS' ... which is the one to use ?

am just pointing out it is confusing, where do I upload my images to out of all those places ???

​It's really not that confusing :)

Edit HTML/CSS

This is if you want to build your theme within the admin panel like in IPB3.

Designers Mode

This is if you want to build your theme through your computers file system using a code editor / IDE.

----------

You can't use both methods simultaneously so if you want to edit within the admin cp (I don't know why anyone would want this unless it was a 2 second small code change) then you must have designers mode disabled. 

only issue having like few others is designer mode is continues to fail and has error that been posted in bug tracker but terms of making a theme hard to test to error been fixed.

​What error? Can I see the bug report?

I've made fresh installs for every beta and it's been working fine for me. Did you upgrade between betas?

​What error? Can I see the bug report?

I've made fresh installs for every beta and it's been working fine for me. Did you upgrade between betas?

​Fatal error: Call to undefined method IPS\Theme\Dev\Theme::getDelayedCss() in /home3/invfocus/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(3513) : eval()'d code on line 31 and upgrade every version was fine in beta 5b.

• Management

​Fatal error: Call to undefined method IPS\Theme\Dev\Theme::getDelayedCss() in /home3/invfocus/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(3513) : eval()'d code on line 31 and upgrade every version was fine in beta 5b.

​Can you link us to the bug you reported about that?

​It's really not that confusing :)

Edit HTML/CSS

This is if you want to build your theme within the admin panel like in IPB3.

Designers Mode

This is if you want to build your theme through your computers file system using a code editor / IDE.

----------

You can't use both methods simultaneously so if you want to edit within the admin cp (I don't know why anyone would want this unless it was a 2 second small code change) then you must have designers mode disabled. 

​Not trying to use both ... tried Designers Mode in previous beta's and could not find anyway to change css other than through the actual custom.css file found in themes/x/css/core/front/custom/custom.css (where x = theme id number) which is where I made my changes and the changes were applied, then when finished come out of Designers Mode and then it sync the css files

So now as cannot find the custom.css file I have to use the Edit HTML/CSS

​Not trying to use both ... tried Designers Mode in previous beta's and could not find anyway to change css other than through the actual custom.css file found in themes/x/css/core/front/custom/custom.css (where x = theme id number) which is where I made my changes and the changes were applied, then when finished come out of Designers Mode and then it sync the css files

So now as cannot find the custom.css file I have to use the Edit HTML/CSS

​Once you disable designers_mode it will write those files to the database and you will not be able to edit them unless editing through the ACP. Just re-enable designers_mode if you want to edit the actual files again.

​I like how people think because it works for them it should work for everyone else..... That;s why this bugs been there since day 1 at the test site
http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/6-designers-mode-removes-css-r2001/

And ​
that's just one.... 

Unfortunately we've never had a designers mode work correct since day 1 so what that's meant is running it wipes out the work that's done for some. This of course causes frustration, costs time and money for someone developing and reporting bugs and sometimes the same ones over and over and over...

This is just the beginning, there's no clear cut way to run this through ACP directives and even some of the pros here are having a hard time with it, wait till the General Public gets to using it.

Some future issues that will be asked daily that could be resolved by directives
Do I start Designers mode before I upload a theme?
Do I start Designers mode before or after I edit a theme?
I just purchased a theme, do I need to be in designers mode to edit it?
and on and on and on.......

​I like how people think because it works for them it should work for everyone else..... That;s why this bugs been there since day 1 at the test sitehttp://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/6-designers-mode-removes-css-r2001/

And ​
that's just one.... 

Unfortunately we've never had a designers mode work correct since day 1 so what that's meant is running it wipes out the work that's done for some. This of course causes frustration, costs time and money for someone developing and reporting bugs and sometimes the same ones over and over and over...

This is just the beginning, there's no clear cut way to run this through ACP directives and even some of the pros here are having a hard time with it, wait till the General Public gets to using it.

Some future issues that will be asked daily that could be resolved by directives
Do I start Designers mode before I upload a theme?
Do I start Designers mode before or after I edit a theme?
I just purchased a theme, do I need to be in designers mode to edit it?
and on and on and on.......

I have been testing since the pre-release so I'm aware of many of the issues. If you re-read what I wrote I asked if he was testing on a fresh installation because that's where I've had the most success. It was on my upgraded installations where I had issues.

Fair enough you want to help test the software but why would you get frustrated and lose money over testing it? That's ridiculous. I do this in my free time or when I'm not doing anything in my day job.

Those are some good questions and some which I've mentioned in bug reports. Answers to these questions should be in a FAQ of some sort :)

Fair enough you want to help test the software but why would you get frustrated and lose money over testing it? That's ridiculous. I do this in my free time or when I'm not doing anything in my day job.

Frustrated - Just like others here - designers mode, sites crashing, not being able to move forward or have multiple themes in development for fear all will get lost as it has in the past. Plus more but ya know if you couldn't get what I was getting to earlier without a explanation I can't really say much more here.

Again, common sense here says you can't move forward in development you can't make money when it comes time for release. :)

This how i see designer mode works, first turn on designer mode as official would need the files/folders to build your theme, while in designer mode add tweaks and images if like add images to the theme once you happy turn off and sync that theme and your done.

This how i see designer mode works, first turn on designer mode as official would need the files/folders to build your theme, while in designer mode add tweaks and images if like add images to the theme once you happy turn off and sync that theme and your done.

​You only really need to have designers_mode off when it's time to export the theme. Otherwise, just leave it on and develop your themes through the file system.

@csm - I'd say it's pretty common knowledge that developing multiple themes on early BETAs (with known issues) is a waste of time. It's no surprise you're frustrated. Even if you were successfully able to develop multiple themes on an early beta, the time spent upgrading templates between betas would cost you just as much time and money.

​You only really need to have designers_mode off when it's time to export the theme. Otherwise, just leave it on and develop your themes through the file system.

@csm - I'd say it's pretty common knowledge that developing multiple themes on early BETAs (with known issues) is a waste of time. It's no surprise you're frustrated. Even if you were successfully able to develop multiple themes on an early beta, the time spent upgrading templates between betas would cost you just as much time and money.

​Right, that's why I didn't development multiple themes yet because you haven't been able to up to this point as I stated above... As far as early beta,... we're past that and into late betas now.

Pete's yet another great example here btw. Tom has this way, pete has this way w/sync, this person this way. I'm sure there will be some kind of docs but docs are not the whole answer here but a small part instead of large. Some kind of ACP directives for uniform use without question how to do it from where you are. Just my opinion. Not everyone is a developer which brings into play colorizer, that's a whole other discussion

Pete's yet another great example here btw. Tom has this way, pete has this way w/sync, this person this way. I'm sure there will be some kind of docs but docs are not the whole answer here but a small part instead of large. Some kind of ACP directives for uniform use without question how to do it from where you are. Just my opinion. Not everyone is a developer which brings into play colorizer, that's a whole other discussion

The intended use is exactly how I described a few posts above. I do agree with you though, this probably isn't clear for a lot of people and ​I'm sure there will be further documentation soon enough (they have this category ready). We'd all love to see it now but I think it's realistic to say that any further documentation won't happen until after 4.0 is released. If people aren't comfortable customizing beta sfotware without documentation, they should wait until 4.0.0 is final and documentation is made available :).

There's not really any debate here on how to use designers_mode. The intended use is exactly how I described a few posts above :).

You keep pulling things out of thin air here. No one said your way was wrong. However, others are using this function in other ways which proves a point which was the meaning of most of my posts! I'm glad you agree with me it isn't clear enough however for some. :)

others are using this function in other ways which proves a point which was the meaning of most of my posts! I'm glad you agree with me it isn't clear enough however for some. :)

I was just clarifying how it works, it was more targeted at Pete's confusion over the feature. Ultimately, I think if people aren't comfortable with the new functionality and aren't able to decipher how it works by themselves they should just hold off for a while until something more substantial is available. It's pretty unreasonable for any of us to expect a plethora of documentation at this stage...although it would be nice. The best we can do is make suggestions over the kind of stuff we would like to see after launch :)

Tom no idea how I am confused with designer mode ! I been testing from day one and been work fine to now so again no idea where confusing coming from I design few themes already 4.0.x if people need step by step guide then I do that trust me but when down if know how use software for 4.0.x answer is yes I do thanks end topic.

Tom no idea how I am confused with designer mode ! I been testing from day one and been work fine to now so again no idea where confusing coming from I design few themes already 4.0.x if people need step by step guide then I do that trust me but when down if know how use software for 4.0.x answer is yes I do thanks end topic.

Sorry, I meant Steve :)

Beta 7a now worse than Beta 6

So far found one old bug from way back now re-appearing

cannot use images in css files as seems the url is not being found

Am  really starting to hate this new version of IPB

Yes, I know beta's are bound to have bugs but now at Beta 7a then most should have gone but just seems with every new release it gets worse than previous release instead of better

Archived