Pages question regarding fields

CheersnGears

When we upgrade our existing 3.4.x sites to 4.0, will existing fields in our databases be preserved?  The reason I ask is because I notice in the articles system inside of Pages 4.0, the Teaser Paragraph field seems to be absent. I use this field often on my site and don't want to lose it.  I've also added a few other fields to my default articles database that I would like to have preserved.   I don't mind having to redo my blocks and pages, but I do want to keep the data in those fields.

• 1 month later...

That was very useful for article feeds. At least you could show a brief of what is inside instead of a cut text after some characters.

​You can just set up a teaser field in one minute. It not a “special” field, just a text area field. 

But I agree to the upgrade problems. That doesn’t really seem well-thought-out yet. There are even field types missing, e.g. the database relational fields. I also haven’t seen any confirmation that the standard article thumbnail images will automatically end up in the new record image field. Anyone knows?

​You can just set up a teaser field in one minute. It not a “special” field, just a text area field. 

But I agree to the upgrade problems. That doesn’t really seem well-thought-out yet. There are even field types missing, e.g. the database relational fields. I also haven’t seen any confirmation that the standard article thumbnail images will automatically end up in the new record image field. Anyone knows?

​Oh I know it's easy to set up, and that would be fine if I was starting a 4.0 site from scratch... but I want to know what is going to happen when I upgrade multiple years' worth of IP Content 3.4.7 database to 4.0.  Where does that data go?

You know Ralf it was you who had shown me how the thumbnail image could be enabled. It is still unknown ( to me at least )  if the upgrade will both enable that property and convert the old article images to the new one. The same question is also valid for teaser paragraph as well.

I plan to do a few upgrades in a test site before trying it on production..

Ah... there we go... 

@Charles

I wonder if the delay to dropdown is something we can adjust.  That seems a bit longer than most people are used to if they are big facebook users. 

​I think it searchs all the members of the community . If it had an option be limited to friends, followed or some other filters it can be faster I guess..

If you want to type @craigf136 then it should know that is the members username and parse the information. The @mention hook I currently have installed can do this easily, it knows it's a members name and assigns it accordingly.

I think the addition of the drop down is extremely useful but I'm unsure as to whether it is affecting typing @ then members name - it needs a slight tweak imo.

Archived