my site's data has rolled back 1 year

Hoping for some help here, as I'm totally lost. I'm running an older version of IPB (3.2.3) which I intend to update with 4.0 at a later date.

Yesterday (9/10) my current host was experiencing downtime (not an uncommon occurrence for them - can't really recommend Host4Geeks) and I was speaking with a new hosting site about migrating, but my cpanel credentials were not working, so I requested a temp password. after a few failed ones, it finally took, and my new host returned to say that my site was too large for a free transfer, so nothing was done.
Around this time my site came back online, but the most recent posts showed from early 10/13, almost an entire year back. No one can figure out why this happened, and according to my current host, restoring the mySQL (or possibly a full site restore, still sorting this) from 9/9/14 - a full day before said incident - also seems to bring the board back to this date. Do you have any idea what could be causing this? I've never had this happen before, and my current host's technical support does not seem knowledgeable about the matter either. I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys can provide here. it's been a terrible day.

that's my best guess too. i asked about their backups, and said mine would appear like:

backup-9.10.2014_23-03-50_hondosbar.tar

they said theirs were in a different format. I'm still waiting on a copy of an older backup, hoping that can resolve things but again, can't wrap my head around what's happening.

Dodgy Host - Old Backup

And the new one you spoke to - Too big to do a free transfer - total joke - Find someone decent that does proper backups and doesn't charge for a large transfer !

Ask them what there backup looks like as it should be time and date stamped

A newer cpanel type backup is the cpanel username (8 characters) followed by .tar.gz

• 4 weeks later...

just get better hosting an VPS which is also better than a share hosting .. and make an configuration for an autobackup daily.

Make sure you have a backup system setup that does offsite backups.
Too many times I've seen servers take a dump and take your site AND local backups with it.

Get a second CHEAP low power VPS to push your backups to and download them from the backup server every so often.

Make sure you have a backup system setup that does offsite backups.
Too many times I've seen servers take a dump and take your site AND local backups with it.

Get a second CHEAP low power VPS to push your backups to and download them from the backup server every so often.

Your idea is right, but normaly i store backup on an remote server which is well protected lol... with directory protection or anykinda of else protection...

Yes you can automate backup on the server and then using ssh transfer on a remote server :smile:

Remember to transfer the files from the backup server and not from the main server to the backup for security reasons :smile:

You can use also ssh keys so there is no password at all on both servers :)

• 1 month later...

The easiest thing to do is setup your cpanel (or whm) to back up nightly and send the backups via FTP to a remote server. Setup a FTP server on your home PC to accept the backups automatically, or buy a NAS (such as a Synology) and you can have a 24/7 FTP server running with extremely low power consumption. You can never have enough backups. Never trust your host. 

Archived