IPB 4.0; Upgrader Apps?

ZakRhyno

• Management

Wow! You mean DISABLED? What about the data on it?

Disabled doesn't mean that we'll delete all the data. The hook format has been completely overhauled in 4, so they're not compatible. This is why we want to work with modification authors as early as possible so you're all up to speed and have a chance to get your mods updated before the stable version is released.

Disabled doesn't mean that we'll delete all the data. The hook format has been completely overhauled in 4, so they're not compatible. This is why we want to work with modification authors as early as possible so you're all up to speed and have a chance to get your mods updated before the stable version is released.

Well Brandon said uninstall and I think the concern is that when hooks are uninstalled from IPB currently any database tables that were added by the hook are removed and deleted completely. So I think they're asking if the upgrade to 4.0 will remove that data/how will this be handled? I guess you already said it won't be though...how's it work then? Are we preserving hook keys?

Brandon said "uninstalled"... maybe the double quotes means actually disable it. We all know they won't be compatible...

If he meant really UNINSTALL, what if any contributor for any reason in the world could not update his resources, the user will lost all the data ? Why not just to disable it ? Or really uninstall it and keep the tables/columns ? Even if the DB structure changes, I'm sure it won't be a HUGE change.

I predict it will be a real pain.... Users will keep using 3.4.6 for a long time yet.

I predict it will be a real pain.... Users will keep using 3.4.6 for a long time yet.

That is the plan until all the apps and hooks "especially the paid ones" are updated I currently use and the guys at IPB have worked out all the bugs for a stable release not requiring patches or additional upgrades constantly to keep the site stable and secure.

I am predicting 4.0.6 to 4.1.0 series the guys will have all the kinks worked out with the 4 series software and the coders like you, Mike John, Marcher, and Raw will be caught up to date on applications / hooks will be back active again.

Yeah, I would like at least 10% of users to be patient as you seem to be.

If you remember I was the dummy that would not upgrade for years since 2.3.6 was operating so well, then I went from 2.3.6 to 3.4 and talk about scrambling to get my forum ironed out, but when IPB gets the 4.x.x software golden, then you guys get the apps / mods done and operating then it is time for me to upgrade. :thumbsup:

Mike John is over at my place now getting the last remaining errors from the community seo devil software removed from my forum, I had thousands of broken links that were posted back to topics, posts, images from the gallery, etc at my place from the community seo "changing the forum urls" and I really messed up monkeying with that crap.

Then I read that long topic about some people wanting IPB to change their url system to something like those goofy wordpress urls and I just shake me head, especially after what I have been through and currently going through now getting my place ironed out.

• Management

To clarify, Brandon meant 'disabled'. Any existing hooks won't be copied across into the new plug-ins database table BUT the data the plug maintains will not be deleted assuming the data is stored in non default tables (by this I mean tables IPB 3 created as some of the schematic is being overhauled in 4).

• Management

You mean hook that adds new columns in members table, for example, those columns will be dropped ?

It depends on the table and such that you added the custom column to. For example, some tables in the 3.x to 4.0 upgrade process will see their data converted to a new format in a new table and the old table dropped. We cannot say for certain if your custom addition falls into that area. When we release betas you will have to confirm that for yourself. Of course Contributors like you will get early access so you can make plans.

• Management

As Charles said, we'll be giving modification authors ample time and instruction before IPS 4 drops publicly. It's hard to give you a broad statement about what may or may not be changed in 4, so the best we can do is make sure you have the code and documentation so you can make ready things you need to make ready.

Yes, I'm sorry if specific words I used caused panic. I would caution against reading too much into words like disabled vs uninstalled.

We will not go around deleting all of your custom hook/application data, no. We have no interest in doing so. It is potentially possible that the way a specific hook has stored data will cause it to be lost in the 4.0 upgrade, but it is not something we are out to do intentionally and you will be able to find this out for yourself early on before release.

When I said uninstalled, I meant basically:

• The database table that holds the hook records themselves is different. There will be no hook record in the database that a hook was installed.
  • The location on disk where hook files are installed is different. Any hook files created from installing a hook you submitted will not be read.
  • The way hooks are installed and stored has changed entirely. If a hook were installed on 3.x it would not show up as installed on 4.0 upon upgrading.

Archived