Google Authorship and GooglePlus Tags

Ian was instrumental in figuring out this next part.

Pointing your website content to your IPS user profile.

1. In Manage Skin sets & Templates, find the template userHoverCard under Global Templates
  2. Find
    <a hovercard-ref="member" hovercard-id="{$member['member_id']
  3. Modify to
    <a rel="author" hovercard-ref="member" hovercard-id="{$member['member_id']}
  4. Save the template

While this will add the "rel=author" to every user profile rendered on the page, Google only looks at the first author tag and ignores all subsequent ones.

Next Up - Publisher Tags

Verifying Authorship with Google

After all of those steps, we want to make sure that it worked of course!

1. Go to the Structured Data Testing Tool
  2. Select a Content or Blog article written by someone who has their GooglePlus profile information set in their profile on your website.
  3. Paste the article into the structured data testing tool.
  4. Your results should look like this:

post-35845-0-97492800-1389039541_thumb.p

If you added the Publisher tag, scroll down a bit to see those results also:

post-35845-0-50742200-1389039630_thumb.p

If both of your results are green, you are all set to go and should start seeing better results from Google searches.

Note: If you have completed all of these steps, you shouldn't need to complete the Email verification. It's as an either/or step. Coding it the way we have in this guide makes the email verification un-needed.

I hope this helps you. I am not a coder; if anyone has any suggestions on how to go about this in a better way, I am excited to hear it.

But how did users enter their GooglePlus id? Did it pass the verification test?

That was the drawback , since i do almost all of the articles I just used this a a crude method to get by.

Note: Yes it passes the verification test for articles at least ;)

That was the drawback , since i do almost all of the articles I just used this a a crude method to get by.

Note: Yes it passes the verification test for articles at least ;)

Ah ok. You may want to back that out because you could eventually have things attributed to you that you didn't write... and Google might think that was bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Actually it is a matter of simplifying and clean up the design , the feature still exist

But the reason most people implemented it, was that the picture clearly stood out from the rest of the search results and you could easily recognize a familiar author.

Having just an additional name in grey letters doesn’t do very much. I already removed it from my site. No sense in advertising Google+ without getting anything in return.

• 6 months later...

Archived