How can i measure the performance on my server before and after using APC cache?

One easy method would be to enable level 1 debugging on your forum before and after.

I generally always leave this enabled on my forums. You can enable it by going to System Settings > General Configuration in your ACP.

Look for this setting, and set it accordingly,

post-260850-0-05216500-1383187215_thumb.

Keep APC disabled after enabling this and browse around your forum a bit. View a few threads, profile pages, and make note of the page execution times for any other IPS applications you have installed.

post-260850-0-19790900-1383187939_thumb.

(All of this information will be displayed in your sites footer after enabling level 1 debugging)

Then enable APC and repeat the process. Then just compare the execution times for the pages.

For what it's worth, I use Nginx and PHP-FPM on my server. To ensure accurate results, I disable use_apc from conf_global and disable APC entirely in my PHP configuration before restarting PHP-FPM when testing. This ensures it really is disabled when you're comparing results.

(The execution time of the board index on my development forum seems to average around ~0.07 seconds without APC and ~0.03 seconds with, to provide a very loose example.)

Archived