Uploads to Amazon S3 option

KT Walrus

I'm thinking of using Amazon S3 storage for all attachments uploaded to my forum.

Amazon makes it fairly easy (I think) to upload files to your bucket from PHP (there is an AWS PHP SDK provided).

Please consider implementing uploading attachments directly to an AWS S3 bucket as an admin option in IPB.

I think this feature would be of use for more people than just me since Amazon storage is "pay as you go" and very cheap given that it is highly available and is backed up much better than most hosting packages that people use to host their forums.

Problem with stuff like that, is if the company decides to cancel it, then IPboard is stuck with a useless feature that just takes up space,

Likely, this would have to be a 3rd party addition. I don't think IPS is in the habit of relying on 3rd party tools/websites that might go down.

AJAX served from Google APIs. Bing Maps in Gallery. These things and more are third party tools/websites that probably go down less than the hosting account your forum is hosted on, and are less likely to be shut down than the host you are hosting your forum with, and are already relied upon in IP.Board. I would consider it stunningly unlikely that Amazon would ever axe an AWS service, relied upon by companies the likes of Netflix and more.

• 5 months later...

I have the hosted version of IPB. I would like my members to be able to upload attachments to posts but have those hosted and served from Amazon S3. I also would like them to still have the thumbnail and light-box functionality that exists with attachments now.

I don't think there is a 3rd party solution for this already which I think is odd given how many people would probably pay to get it. Does anyone know why that might be - is there a technical issue or difficulty with implementing this? Maybe people have tried and come up against problems? I ask because I need this and will fund the development of a plugin or hook for the hosted IPB version at least. But would like to know that I am not asking for something that is inherently impossible or in some way is made impossible due to the way the hosted version works.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm thinking of using Amazon S3 storage for all attachments uploaded to my forum.

Amazon makes it fairly easy (I think) to upload files to your bucket from PHP (there is an AWS PHP SDK provided).

Please consider implementing uploading attachments directly to an AWS S3 bucket as an admin option in IPB.

I think this feature would be of use for more people than just me since Amazon storage is "pay as you go" and very cheap given that it is highly available and is backed up much better than most hosting packages that people use to host their forums.

Hi Did you get this sorted? I want to host my videos on Amazone sc and then have them play in the forum (Ip Board) Any idea how to do this?

• Management

Hi Did you get this sorted? I want to host my videos on Amazone sc and then have them play in the forum (Ip Board) Any idea how to do this?

This is available in IPS4, but I'm afraid is not an option in IPB 3.x unless you use something like s3fs.

Archived