View New Content design suggestion: Menu should be following along

Maxxius

Wouldn't it be cool to have this filter menu to slide down together as you scroll down to see remaining new content just as Facebook's top line is always 'following' you. Because once you scroll down to see the list it disappears and you have to go back up to change it. Just my initial idea. Its up to you whether to use it or not.

1b0eee34270c35c05282adda196071a8861.PNG

Problem with any sort of sliding content like that is accomodating small resolutions. If it is too big for the page, and you have it scrolling with the page, suddenly the bottom links are totally inaccessible...

yeah, that's a possibility I thought about it too. I just had the initial idea, I leave it all to IPB gurus to figure the details out :)

Problem with any sort of sliding content like that is accomodating small resolutions. If it is too big for the page, and you have it scrolling with the page, suddenly the bottom links are totally inaccessible...

Couldn't you just use javascript on the page load to determine the window height and then give the container a max-height and overflow-y to make sure all links are accessible.

Couldn't you just use javascript on the page load to determine the window height and then give the container a max-height and overflow-y to make sure all links are accessible.

wait, does that mean that perhaps a vertical scrollbar may appear next to the menu? I dont get it.

no, you use javascript to determine the box height and the window height, and allow the contents of said box to scroll to the bottom and top of the box when moused inside it(without a scrollbar), sticking to the edge when reached.
normal scrolling behaviour occurs outside said box. The most usable presentation I have seen.... not easy to whip out though, usually easier to stick a specific height with overflow:auto;.

wait, does that mean that perhaps a vertical scrollbar may appear next to the menu? I dont get it.

It could, depends on how it was implemented. If you really didn't' want a scroll bar you could use javascript to make the container scrollable or you could make the inner container scrollable but wider than the outer container so the scroll bar would be 'hidden' just outside of the view. There are a bunch of different ways it could be done, just depends on complicated you wanted to get.

Archived