Forum Terms & Rules Before Register Screen

Lase

I've just bought my board.

From what I can gather this was a function present in the previous versions of IP.Board 3.0.X and 3.1.X but has now been axed in version 3.3

Hopefully I'm wrong, but given that someones selling a mod to restore the function for $5 it looks like I'm not.

I ain't happy about this at all.

In the planning it was one of the essential functions I required. Users have to enter their real name on entry and this has to be specified before registration.

So now I have to fork out cash to some character to get this restored, and even then it won't work if I'm setting skin upgrades as default?

Why on Earth wasn't the option left in admin.cp, and will it be retruned? I can't go live without this.

I've just bought my board.

From what I can gather this was a function present in the previous versions of IP.Board 3.0.X and 3.1.X but has now been axed in version 3.3

Hopefully I'm wrong, but given that someones selling a mod to restore the function for $5 it looks like I'm not.

I ain't happy about this at all.

In the planning it was one of the essential functions I required. Users have to enter their real name on entry and this has to be specified before registration.

So now I have to fork out cash to some character to get this restored, and even then it won't work if I'm setting skin upgrades as default?

Why on Earth wasn't the option left in admin.cp, and will it be retruned? I can't go live without this.

They have to check a box that says they have read the terms and conditions.

They have to check a box that says they have read the terms and conditions.

Yeah I've seen this. Not up to scratch no one'll ever bother reading them (plus they were generic). It's also at the foot of the registry window - After they've entered all their details, the last thing they do is tick the box to say they've read the terms and conditions when they naturally haven't bothered, then they press 'next step'. There's a few things I have to make people aware of before they join.

If you require real names before they can register, you can make a required custom profile field they have to fill out for that.

I need to make it totally clear that if users are found to not register with their real name their account would be disabled. It's a professional network and highlighting the importance of this from the start is essential. It's often peoples instinct to use a pseudonym, without an in your face precedence at registry it's what they'll do.

I've read the bumf on why the changes were made, but I don't know why an option wasn't kept for admin.cp.

Yeah I've seen this. Not up to scratch no one'll ever bother reading them (plus they were generic). It's also at the foot of the registry window - After they've entered all their details, the last thing they do is tick the box to say they've read the terms and conditions when they naturally haven't bothered, then they press 'next step'. There's a few things I have to make people aware of before they join.

I need to make it totally clear that if users are found to not register with their real name their account would be disabled. It's a professional network and highlighting the importance of this from the start is essential. It's often peoples instinct to use a pseudonym, without an in your face precedence at registry it's what they'll do.

I've read the bumf on why the changes were made, but I don't know why an option wasn't kept for admin.cp.

If they checked that box without reading it, it's their problem. They've falsely stated that they read the TOS and I believe you can terminate the account just based on those grounds. You can also probably change the language string for 'Username' to 'Real name' if you want (I am unsure if this will effect other parts of the forum however).

If you want to be really tricky, add a QA with an answer that can only be found in the TOS. That way registration won't proceed unless they've read it. Doing this is probably better than having a reg splash anyway.

I know you are clearly pretty disappointed about this being removed but I would just like to point out that your site is obviously a very unique case.

It sounds as though originally you were using the TOS for a little extra than just TOS.

The process still requires the user to check the box to say they have read the TOS. If people don't read them in this process, they would not have read them in the previous method.

I don't think you can really expect IPS to keep something because a small minority of sites were using the TOS process for something unique.

What I would suggest is making it clear on the register form in a custom profile field that you MUST read the TOS or risk missing important information which could lead to the account being suspended. You can also change the language string to Real Name and make it red or something.

I know you probably won't be happy with this but I feel it's unfair to be so unhappy with IPS over this.

It sounds as though originally you were using the TOS for a little extra than just TOS.

The process still requires the user to check the box to say they have read the TOS. If people don't read them in this process, they would not have read them in the previous method.

This is a new board friend. I haven't opened it yet whilst I'm getting everything ready.

I think this is down to how you word the TOS. What I had in mind :

READ THIS - IT'S NOT LONG.

You must register using your REAL NAME as your account's Display Name.

That means your first name, a space, then your last name. If you don't use your real name, or you register with a name that looks like your real name but we find out is not your real name, your account will be permanently disabled.

Contact Information

Whilst it's your right to maintain your own privacy, the sole purpose of this site is to assist in establishing a networking avenue. It's important to allow users to contact you via your direct email address and have other contact information viewable eg your LinkedIn account. Please consider amending your profile settings accordingly.

The site will uphold and invite or referral only policy.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use xxxxxxxxx.com to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

I think i'd like to downgrade to 3.0.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I don't think going to 3.0 will actually save you any time or money. Support for that will cease eventually so it can cause issues further down the line.

I think you would be better working around the problem, be that by the $5 mod or by implementing your TOS slightly differently than you originally planned. I know this is not ideal but I really don't think going to 3.0 or 3.1 would be a positive move.

Support for 3.0 has already ceased.

Unfortunately the software is not designed to please 100% of the customers 100% of the time, that's not possible. IPS has to decide between making things usable for the most people, while at the same time making it so new people can jump in and start using the software without having to set up 8 jillion things right off the bat. This means that the product you get here isn't necessarily exactly what you personally require.

On the plus side, what you're needing is something that can literally be accomplished with 2 minutes of skinning in a simple message on the registration page.

• 2 years later...

Archived