Addon Suggestion: Video "Gallery"

Makoto

Hello everyone,

I have a suggestion for a new IP.Board addon. I run many communities that could make great use of this, a video addon!

People can upload videos, which your server can convert using standard of custom/advanced settings with the use of FFMPEG. Maybe even a custom jQuery/HTML5 video player designed by the IPB team, that can be customized or replaced entirely.

You can rate and comment on these videos of course. Add to favorites, send/e-mail to friends (if public access is enabled.)

What do you all think?

Are you talking about something like this? http://www.vbtube.com/Community (another link: http://www.vbtube.com/BuyNow )
I would like to see the gallery extended, so I can combine videos from various sources (local, youtube ...) and pictures together in albums and maybe play lists. There should be an option to chose whether I like my videos converted or just stored as it is done in the gallery now.

• 4 weeks later...

I think for the vast majority of customers, allowing members (or even staff) to upload videos would not be required (due to hosting and bandwidth limitations, limited encoding options and server CPU resources, etc).

YouTube seems to be the big leader in online video streaming. Try to compete with that, and I think you'll fail, or forever be fighting an uphill battle against a much bigger competitor.

YouTube will host gigabytes of videos for you, process all the encoding on their own servers, and promote your videos to millions of users. So I would rather see better integration with YouTube, Vimeo, etc with IP.Gallery.

Let us easily add your own playlists, favourites, and even pull live search results into IP.Gallery.

Also, incase you weren't aware. Michael has made a "Video System" which lets you easily link to YouTube/Video/etc videos and add them into a Video Gallery (with your own descriptions, thumbnails, etc). He hasn't really added support for uploading and encoding videos for good reasons (mostly what I mentioned above).

For the majority of the videos you are right, but what about videos you could not upload to youtube or what ever due to copyrights? Encoding is a nice to have feature but for me it's not necessary, cause I only want to host the videos I couldn't upload anywhere else. So I never had the target to do what you described. The video system you linked to is OK, but I'm still missing some features, such as playlists and it would be cool to retrieve the video description+tags of the video pages.

• 2 weeks later...

For the majority of the videos you are right, but what about videos you could not upload to youtube or what ever due to copyrights? Encoding is a nice to have feature but for me it's not necessary, cause I only want to host the videos I couldn't upload anywhere else. So I never had the target to do what you described. The video system you linked to is OK, but I'm still missing some features, such as playlists and it would be cool to retrieve the video description+tags of the video pages.

:logik: If its illegal due to copyright infringement to place it on youtube..... by hosting it yourself you are asking for trouble.

Archived