Anyone experienced with optimizing a VPS?

I have a Cpanel WHM VPS with PHP, MySQL, Apache, Sphinx, Eaccellerator and Zend Optimizer. All is great except PHP generation times such as my IP.Content page take over 1 second, 1.8 seconds to be exact. I'm looking to lower that under 1 second with a bit of optimizing of PHP/MySQL and Apache.

So this includes installing anything that will enhance performance, tweaking the existing my.cnf, php.conf, httpd.conf for low resource usage and faster page loads and lower page generation times. I forgot to mention tweaking and optimizing FastCGI.

I don't have a lot of money, so a person that can do this for free or a nominal fee is a plus.

According to server/vps information the vps has 16 cpu's and 1024 MB guaranteed ram.

I contacted my host, not much help..

I have checked the domain xtemu.com and could see that currently it is using 15 external objects.

I have also checked the server and could see that the php processes running under the user removed are continuously running and causing load on the server.

---

15626 removed 15 0 69076 31m 8272 R 10.9 3.1 0:13.38 /usr/bin/php

14112 removed 15 0 64500 27m 8616 S 0.0 2.7 0:52.41 /usr/bin/php

15628 removed 16 0 64344 26m 8192 S 12.1 2.6 0:09.16 /usr/bin/php

---

Upon further checking, I found that the php processes running for the Invision Power Service forum were causing this issue. Please optimize the forum.

Please check it and let me know your updates.

I don't know what they expect me to optimize considering I know nothing about PHP/MySQL. On a vps php generation is taking longer than it should, on shared hosting with Hostgator this wasn't a problem. My IP.Content page is taking 1 - 2 seconds for php to generate and my site doesn't seem as snappy as it should be, likely because of php loading the server.

Btw, all my other pages seem to load fairly fast with php generation times between 0.2 - 0.5 except my IP.Content page.

I can only guess your running apache DSO, Or maybe even FAST_cgi but there not closing.

I can do this for you and guarentee that the VPS will run at it's very best with little resources, Now I'm not saying I can provide a miricle but you must note when you ask for someone to optimize a VPS for you they can but you must know other users on the VPS can cause issues which can affect you, Even though it may not be a fault of your own or your setup so thats one small factor you must understand.

If interested just drop me a message and we can see whats best for you and your server / community.

I would normally help you if you had a rough idea but when you say "PHP/MySQL" There is no point me trying to help you even by SSH as it would take way to long and you may have other issues, Its impossible to say without looking deeply to the cause.

Many thanks.

Gary.

Will you charge me and if so, how much? I just used what money I had on IP.Content blocks and won't have any money again until next month.

Yeah it's FastCGI, I can drop you a message of what has been done so far.

A brief outline so far..

Install Sphinx

The VPS is using eAccellerator, Zend Optimizer. Enabled some Apache modules and PHP extensions, I don't really know what I am doing so I tried to match the configuration the best I could to my previous shared host. Latest Apache, MySQL and PHP 5.2.17. Haven't digged into tweaking my.cnf, mysql.conf, php.conf. FastCGI and PHP can probably be tweaked, again no idea what I am doing. My host increased FastCGI max request size and timeout because I couldn't upload files larger than some kb in size and save css in the AdminCP.

I've been wanting to install Xcache, but I could never configure it correctly. According to information in Cpanel WHM the VPS has 16 cpu's and 1024 MB ram.

Will you charge me and if so, how much? I just used what money I had on IP.Content blocks and won't have any money again until next month.

Yeah it's FastCGI, I can drop you a message of what has been done so far.

A brief outline so far..

Install Sphinx

The VPS is using eAccellerator, Zend Optimizer. Enabled some Apache modules and PHP extensions, I don't really know what I am doing so I tried to match the configuration the best I could to my previous shared host. Latest Apache, MySQL and PHP 5.2.17. Haven't digged into tweaking my.cnf, mysql.conf, php.conf. FastCGI and PHP can probably be tweaked, again no idea what I am doing. My host increased FastCGI max request size and timeout because I couldn't upload files larger than some kb in size and save css in the AdminCP.

I've been wanting to install Xcache, but I could never configure it correctly. According to information in Cpanel WHM the VPS has 16 cpu's and 1024 MB ram.

Gary works on a donation basis

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also like to pay someone (gary or otherwise) for optimization for my board. Feel free to PM me. I'll send the details you need.

Brand new vps, transferred site/DNS over just fine. but currently have 5+ second page load times. there has to be a reason for it.

http://www.webpagete...10824_NG_1D965/
www.teamlegacy.net
www.teamlegacy.net/index

A better look at the results.

Apache server status for s1.teamlegacy.net
Server Version: Apache/2.2.19 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.19 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.3.8 Server Built: Aug 23 2011 23:26:31 Current Time: Wednesday, 24-Aug-2011 14:48:57 PDT Restart Time: Tuesday, 23-Aug-2011 23:43:19 PDT Parent Server Generation: 8 Server uptime: 15 hours 5 minutes 37 seconds Total accesses: 12107 - Total Traffic: 159.7 MB CPU Usage: u107.7 s5.74 cu0 cs0 - .209% CPU load .223 requests/sec - 3082 B/second - 13.5 kB/request 2 requests currently being processed, 8 idle workers

Apache server status for s1.teamlegacy.net

Server Version: Apache/2.2.19 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.19 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.3.8 Server Built: Aug 23 2011 23:26:31 Current Time: Wednesday, 24-Aug-2011 14:48:57 PDT Restart Time: Tuesday, 23-Aug-2011 23:43:19 PDT Parent Server Generation: 8 Server uptime: 15 hours 5 minutes 37 seconds Total accesses: 12107 - Total Traffic: 159.7 MB CPU Usage: u107.7 s5.74 cu0 cs0 - .209% CPU load .223 requests/sec - 3082 B/second - 13.5 kB/request 2 requests currently being processed, 8 idle workers

As a note... As was suspected by myself... the Global sidebar IPC(12 or so?) blocks were killing loads considerably... we've taken to a member only swap/toggle to the sidebar skin with defaults to none (toggle "Advanced")....
The Sidebar-less does load AOENS quicker... definitely need a SQL tune here.
Oh. and these are Topic Blocks, as a note.

Well I thought I would say there is some good news that I likely got a job. Went for an interview on Monday and they seemed to like me, gave me a description of the job, asked if I was interested, they called my references which gave glowing feedback about me. Once I know for sure I can send that donation your way. I've also been considering leasing Lightspeed web server as an alternative to Apache to hopfully bring down loads as well as tweaking my IP.Content page.

As a note... As was suspected by myself... the Global sidebar IPC(12 or so?) blocks were killing loads considerably... we've taken to a member only swap/toggle to the sidebar skin with defaults to none (toggle "Advanced")....

The Sidebar-less does load [u]AOENS[/u] quicker... definitely need a SQL tune here.

Oh. and these are Topic Blocks, as a note.

I am new to lot of this so please forgive what may sound foolish, but can you explain this to me?
is there a manner to have these blocks default to collapsed is that what you are saying?
thanks

I am new to lot of this so please forgive what may sound foolish, but can you explain this to me?

is there a manner to have these blocks default to collapsed is that what you are saying?

thanks

what we did as these are site global sidebars is use 2 completely separate skins.
Public is Sidebarless
Members see a toggle to the sidebar skin.

its this 1 topic isnt it? i get it too... but only here?

nothing in my sig could cause that... :logik:

thought I had seen it in others but maybe I am wrong.

its this:

A username and password are being requested by http://184.154.20.188:2086. The site says: "Web Host Manager"

I think your problem lies with having only 1 GB of ram. Depending on how many records your DB has.... your server specs are just not enough.

I have an Eight Core with 18 gigs of ddr3. Almost all my IPB's are loaded within 0.01 - 1.0 seconds (excluding those that have thousands of records... especially one of them with 8k forums).

Archived