Forum Cloning

XiuzSu

The Manage Forums should have a "Clone Forum" option so when creating a new forum you don't have to go through all the options.
This can be very tedious work when your making quiet a few new forums.
Vote whether you think this is necessary or not, remember... every vote counts.

Forget making this an option, make it so there's a setting which activates this option immediately upon adding a forum. That way, you wouldn't have to do anything different to copy default permissions, and you could have the button change the forum to allow for custom permissions.

Forget making this an option, make it so there's a setting which activates this option immediately upon adding a forum. That way, you wouldn't have to do anything different to copy default permissions, and you could have the button change the forum to allow for custom permissions.

Yea but this option/button should also clone the settings of the selected forum.

On the one hand, setting up a community is a task you usually only do once (ok, some do it frequently, but they are not the norm). On the other hand, I can see that it is a real pain to set up 20+ forums with all the same permission sets without having the option to just copy those over. If implementing this feature is not too costly, I think it should be added.

On the one hand, setting up a community is a task you usually only do once (ok, some do it frequently, but they are not the norm). On the other hand, I can see that it is a real pain to set up 20+ forums with all the same permission sets without having the option to just copy those over. If implementing this feature is not too costly, I think it should be added.

1) You act like admins set up all their forums at one time. That alone would be daunting for a board that requires a lot of forums, but some boards grow over time.

2) It's easy to set options differently because you don't remember what was set where, then it's a constant back and forth comparison to make sure they match to provide continuity in user experience. Especially annoying when you're adding a new forum to an existing board.

I don't think it would be "too costly" because its just a setting, something that will be run only when needed and ultimately its only copying the settings of a forum for a second and pasting it into the new one.. I don't see how that can be costly at all.

There is a copy permissions option. Set up all the forums in the category (always clicking "next" on the permissions without clicking all of them). Once you set up all the forums in the category, click to edit the permissions in the first forum in that category. There will be a thin green bar at the top to copy permissions you set for another forum. Select the one you already set up permissions for and click "GO". It fills it all in for you, then save and next and it will automatically send you to the next forum to do the same thing until all are done within that category. It took me a little bit to find that option on my own, but finally did it . lol.

And I do like the idea of cloning the categories

I agree, I only have 5 forums, but all of them need to act the same way so the user does not get confused.

What I would like is to setup one forum, sort all the settings and permissions and the be able to copy that forum a set number of times. Would save so much time.

The first I know about a setting being wrong in a forum is usually a PM from a confused user! It's so much needless work to sign in as a normal member, moderator, and other user groups just to check that the forums are behaving correctly.

There is a copy permissions option. Set up all the forums in the category (always clicking "next" on the permissions without clicking all of them). Once you set up all the forums in the category, click to edit the permissions in the first forum in that category. There will be a thin green bar at the top to copy permissions you set for another forum. Select the one you already set up permissions for and click "GO". It fills it all in for you, then save and next and it will automatically send you to the next forum to do the same thing until all are done within that category. It took me a little bit to find that option on my own, but finally did it . lol.

And I do like the idea of cloning the categories

We're not talking about permissions.

1) You act like admins set up all their forums at one time.

Most of them do. They set up the major parts of the forum structure at the very beginning and then just do smaller adjustments later.

That alone would be daunting for a board that requires a lot of forums, but some boards grow over time.

Still, setting up forums is such a tiny part of an active forum admin unless someone frequently adds and removes forums to/from their board. Even if it grows fast, there will only be a certain time period where you will be setting up forums more often than usual but when the grow has come to end end you are more or less done with it. Sorry, but "it's much work" is still a pretty weak argument.

2) It's easy to set options differently because you don't remember what was set where, then it's a constant back and forth comparison to make sure they match to provide continuity in user experience. Especially annoying when you're adding a new forum to an existing board.

This is about comfort and avoiding mistakes, the first of which I refered to as "painful" in my post and then suggested this feature to be (re-)added. Not sure why you just repeat one of my points in a direct reply to me, even considering the descriptive details you added to my more casual wording.

The main reasons why I want this feature (and I guess most people do too according to the poll) is to ensure accuracy when making forums, short the time it takes to make it, and because I just seriously doubt a setting like this would be costly at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived