MaxCDN Integration

gxgEric

+1 for maxcdn.com

A lot cheaper and more user friendly when compared to Amazon Services. But also could be profitable for Invision Power....

It not only could be beneficial to current and possible future customers, but as I understand it Internet Brands (vBulletin) and a few other competitors to Invision Power Services; who have incorporated support for MaxCDN... Have done so in a "referral style" way and thus are collecting a small cut. So adding this feature could also be profitable for Invision Power Services & supportive to its customers.... Win, win ;)

IP.Board 3.2 includes built in support for offloading images, css, javascript, attachments, and uploads to a 3rd party CDN. Is there some reason that makes MaxCDN different than other CDNs in a way that needs special configuration?

How does one do that?

IP.Board 3.2 includes built in support for offloading images, css, javascript, attachments, and uploads to a 3rd party CDN. Is there some reason that makes MaxCDN different than other CDNs in a way that needs special configuration?

Thank you for your reply Collin.

What I am looking for is not a solution for IP.Board alone, but the entire suite. Tight integration would be preferred, that way I know 100% everything is going to work as described. Something as simple as, provide your CDN username and password, and then hit 'Go'.

I believe if you decide to work with a particular provider, such as MaxCDN, your customers will get a better solution.

Thank you for your reply Collin.

What I am looking for is not a solution for IP.Board alone, but the entire suite. Tight integration would be preferred, that way I know 100% everything is going to work as described. Something as simple as, provide your CDN username and password, and then hit 'Go'.

I believe if you decide to work with a particular provider, such as MaxCDN, your customers will get a better solution.

Yes, customers who use MaxCDN would get a better solution. But what about people who want to use provider X? We can't build integration for everyone's CDN provider. That would be best suited for a 3rd party app.
That being said, the CDN features for offloading CSS, Javascript, Images, Attachments, and Uploads in 3.2 is very straight forward. I configured it myself the other day and it took 5 minutes.
I'm attaching some screenshots from the 3.2 beta so you can see just how easy CDN integration is. :thumbsup:

How does one do that?

%7Boption%7D
%7Boption%7D

Hopefully MaxCDN will create something then, as it looks like IPS is not interested. bummer

I'm still confused as to how we "aren't interested" - I previously asked how MaxCDN is different and requires something more than a URL or Path. From what I've seen, I do not see why MadCDN would not work out of the box. :thumbsup:
Eric, If you've got an account with MaxCDN, drop me a PM so that I can see further. Their sales people never got back to me when I tried to contact them.

I created the MaxCDN plugin listed above. Out of the box IPB *will* work with any CDN using a pull style of caching. What will not work out of the box and is dependent on the CDN is the length of time an image is cached. Let's say you upload your profile pic with the CDN enabled. It will show up for everyone just fine.. but if you want to update it you *can* update it so that is saved to your local IPB server, but you won't see the new version for 24 hours (in the case of MaxCDN) because the URL for that profile pic is cached. This is where it becomes largely dependent on CDN APIs to allow you to purge the cache.

IPB has only a few cases of images that users can manipulate and upload that will retain a static filename on the server side and will then be stuck in cache.. (example: /uploads/profile/photo-186849.png) If IPS wanted to make this easy to plug in alternate CDNs they would just have to make a special class with a method called "PurgeURL" that took the fully qualified url to a media resource on the site and use the appropriate CDN API. Each time profile pics are edited call that class method.. then we as writers of hooks could just override that class.

Initially that method could just be a blank method and it could be left up to the hook author to implement it. To be honest though, I don't know if there is anything outside of profile pics that have a static file name.

Everyone jumping on the CDN bandwagon, be careful and understand what these people/companies are doing..... nothing in life is free PERIOD! :smile:

I will not name names, but some are already adding embedded code to links to pick up ad monies, it's just the start of this mess and still getting going, just be safe and read the fine print.

Often times proper hosting will increase site performance rather then moving to a CDN. I can see a pattern here, bad shared host will promote CDN's when you complain in order to sell you more services and in turn take some load off their servers. It's a win win for them and the CDN. :)

I'm guessing you mean Cloudflare? I wouldn't really consider them a CDN.

I tried MaxCDN for a couple of months. Had sketchy performance. They had a DDoS in Virginia, and generally just had downtime on the East coast of the US I would not expect from a CDN. Especially when hosting your CSS/JS files, makes for a poor user experience. Eventually enough complaining got me off their provisioning server, but there were still issues. Also, if you have a global audience you might want to look for a CDN that offers Asia and Oceania (Australia). While the bandwidth there is expensive, coincidentally it's where you'll notice the largest benefit if US based.

I'm currently using Edgecast through a reseller (gogrid.com and speedyrails.com are cheap/good). I've been very impressed with their performance, but I would say overall CDN impact is overrated. After all you're essentially improving on the speed of light, and introducing another point of failure. I have about 50% US / 50% international audience. Only about 10% is Asia and Australia. But the impact there is big. Without CDN about 10 sec for the forum index page. With the CDN about 4 seconds to fully loaded with ads. If you have a mostly regional or non-global audience your time and money is best spent elsewhere.

I thought the MaxCDN plugin was a nice feature, and I purchased it. However, since switching to Edgecast I have yet to have a single complaint about user avatars or images not updating. I'm not a coder, but I doubt IP.Board could accommodate every CDN API.

• Management

Our software supports any CDN service out of the box. In fact we use CDNs for some of our busy clients we host.

It wouldn't be prudent for us to add specific support for a specific CDN provider when there are dozens of CDN services out there.

Our software supports any CDN service out of the box. In fact we use CDNs for some of our busy clients we host.

It wouldn't be prudent for us to add specific support for a specific CDN provider when there are dozens of CDN services out there.

Now your sounding like good ole' George Bush..... "It wouldn't be prudent" I love it..... lol

Archived