Download: MaxCDN Integration Accelerator for IPB 3.1 / 3.2

mat206

File Name: MaxCDN Integration Accelerator for IPB 3.1 / 3.2
File Submitter: mat206
File Submitted: 30 Dec 2010
File Updated: 05 Jan 2012
File Category: Hooks and Plugins

Version 2.0.1 BETA now compatible with 3.2 has been released - This should resolve most issues centered around my initial release. CSS file changes still need to be purged through your MaxCDN control panel . IMPORTANT NOTE: Please fully uninstall and remove the 3.1.4 hook prior to installing this version!

This hook enables your site to work with the MaxCDN content delivery network. Certain files on your site may need to change quickly from time to time, especially your photos and avatar images. Right now if you JUST do the MaxCDN integration, your users may be confused as to why their avatar/profile photos don't update when THEY update them. It may take up to 24 hours for their pictures to be purged from the MaxCDN cache. My hook cuts that time down to about a minute at most by contacting the MaxCDN servers directly and telling them to purge your visitors avatar or profile photo from their servers and re-download the new version.

This allows you to take FULL advantage of the MaxCDN content delivery network and still provide an excellent user experience.

Version 1.1 adds the ability for your CSS and Javascript to be distributed through the MaxCDN as well by dynamically modifying your skins to redirect to your configured MaxCDN link.

What is a CDN?

CDN is a Content Delivery Network of highly-optimized servers all around the world working together to distribute your content (CSS and Javascript files, downloadable objects, applications, real-time media streams, and much more) through hundreds of servers instead of a single host. This "smart route" technology makes sure each visitor to your site gets their data from the city closest to them.

Why do you need a CDN?

By bringing your content closer to the user's connection point, the CDN provider MaxCDN unleashes the potential of your site with much faster load times, superior scalability, and guaranteed uptime. A faster loading site not only makes your visitors happy, it can also earn you a few extra points toward a higher ranking on the major search engines – and what business owner or webmaster wouldn't want that!

Setting Up MaxCDN with IPS

Follow this link to review basic setup instructions for MaxCDN and IP.Board: http://community.inv...mal-effort-r510

Click here to download this file

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using your setup instructions there are a number of things that will not be cached by the CDN. Most notably images in CSS, team icons, CSS and Javascript files. Does this hook help with them?

That sort of stuff requires CSS edits. You can always modify your CSS files to point to your public or uploads directory, which is what I did. I'll look into what it would take to make this hook also automatically do that for you. That could be a cool feature!

Good question Blair. BTW did you find any way to cache those images in CSS, team icons, etc.?

Yes, you have to edit the CSS file for each skin, find/replace the default image location with your CDN location. Not real difficult, but a PITA. Also, team icons require editing each usergroup, again appending the CDN domain (or subdomain). Would be easier with an htaccess rewrite to catch all, but for my needs it seemed easier than messing with regex. I haven't figured out a solution to mirror the CSS and JS files with the CDN, but I haven't tried too hard. It's the holiday season, I've been too busy doing nothing. :whistle:

.htaccess and regex is likely the best and easiest solution to all. Albeit with a small performance hit.

I don't understand all of this... Do I need to buy "Bandwidth - 1TB" + "Storage (Only for push zones) - 10GB"? I guess if I want my content spread on their servers on different locations, I'll have to buy storage as well, or am I missing something here ^^? Please explain. Thanks in advance.

I don't understand all of this... Do I need to buy "Bandwidth - 1TB" + "Storage (Only for push zones) - 10GB"? I guess if I want my content spread on their servers on different locations, I'll have to buy storage as well, or am I missing something here ^^? Please explain. Thanks in advance.

No, you would not buy storage for a push zone. A push zone requires YOU to upload all your files to their server.. instead, their pull zone capability which is $39.95 for 1000 GB (which lasts a year) requires no additional fees. A pull zone will actually download requested files from your website on an as-needed basis. That is what you want. =)

On another note, I have updated the hook to now redirect your javascript and CSS files to the MaxCDN network as well. However, you are going to need to purge your public cache manually through the MaxCDN control panel if you make changes to the CSS/Javascript after it is cached. I'll look into eliminating this requirement in a future version.

No, you would not buy storage for a push zone. A push zone requires YOU to upload all your files to their server.. instead, their pull zone capability which is $39.95 for 1000 GB (which lasts a year) requires no additional fees. A pull zone will actually download requested files from your website on an as-needed basis. That is what you want. =)

On another note, I have updated the hook to now redirect your javascript and CSS files to the MaxCDN network as well. However, you are going to need to purge your public cache manually through the MaxCDN control panel if you make changes to the CSS/Javascript after it is cached. I'll look into eliminating this requirement in a future version.

Thank you very much for your answer. I do have another question though. Will 1000GB be enough? I mean if you got a lot of pictures/icons/uploads etc wouldn't this eat up those 1000GB pretty fast with an active, large site? Thanks in advance.

Well if you're pushing 10gb/month, 100gb will last you ten months... 1000gb 100 months. It'd end up being longer than that, as not everything would be served by the CDN.

I don't get through that much really, Dec was 70gb, Nov was 80gb. So even the basic MaxCDN would last me most of the year, it's pretty much a bargain to me :)

Archived