IPB & IE9

Gaffney

The new notification feature, is there anyway that in IPB 3.2.x that they can intergrate with IE9 so users could possibly be notified when they either get eg a notification or when there is a new post on the site. Or could someone show me how I could possibly go about doing this ?

linky

Causing the Taskbar Button to Flash, Indicating That User Interaction Is Required

At times, you will want to notify users that your site requires interaction to advance or complete a task. Use the msSiteModeActivate method to start the flashing of the pinned site icon on the taskbar. For example, use this interaction when a user needs to enter their credentials, when a download is completed, or when another user is trying to communicate with a user.

To activate the state, call the msSiteModeActivate method.

window.external.msSiteModeActivate();

The icon flashes a maximum 20 times before the taskbar button stays permanently lit. After the user interacts with the site, Windows resets the taskbar button to the non-flashing state.

I'm currently using the recent topic hook which updates via ajax, I'm looking at that to see if the code could be integrated with it.

Notifications aren't sent to a user via AJAX/Comet style fashion. They are checked when a page loads and shown at that time. In such a case, there's no need to flash a taskbar icon - you already have the browser window open in front of you.

But couldn't it be attached to eg recent topics which updates via ajax. Or the shoutbox ? Many of my users open a browser and go watch a video in windows media player or talk on windows live messenger.

But couldn't it be attached to eg recent topics which updates via ajax. Or the shoutbox ? Many of my users open a browser and go watch a video in windows media player or talk on windows live messenger.

Recent topics does not update via AJAX.

Shoutbox is not part of a default IP.Board installation.

The board index (no pages, really, unless you take into account IP.Chat) does not make recurring AJAX requests to the server.

Archived