Facebook and Twitter to Profile

TrekkiemonsterUK

Hi There,

Apologies if this has already been suggested - I've done a quick search but not found anything at the moment.

My suggestion is the ability to add our Facebook and Twitter links to our profile - where AIM, Jabber, Skype etc is listed so people can click on them to visit them.

It would also be nice if those links could appear as small T and F logo buttons on the members post avatar sidebar... probably got the name wrong for that, but you know what I mean I'm sure, the area to the left of this post which has my wee Trekkie Monster animation in it. Somewhere in there would be darned handy. :D

Anyways, thats my suggestion. Love 3.1.2, got it installed yesterday. Did myself for the first time too! :D

Well, I made it so the logos show up on mine, but they are only clickable when viewing a thread (they aren't clickable when viewing the member's profile - haven't been able to figure that out yet). I agree though, you would think it'd be something they'd include the option for out of the box.

Guys, there are so many different sites we just can't guess all the possible ones you will want. That's why they are CUSTOM fields and you are able to add and remove from them at will. :)

Someone might think MySpace is more important than Twitter, or that LinkedIn is the most important, etc. It's all subjective.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried to set up one for Twitter and it works pretty well. But when the person puts in their twitter name, of course it just displays their Twitter name in the profile. How do I get it to display as a link? I tried to model it after the other custom fields but can't seem to find a way to turn the name into a twitter page link.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just tried to set up one for Twitter and it works pretty well. But when the person puts in their twitter name, of course it just displays their Twitter name in the profile. How do I get it to display as a link? I tried to model it after the other custom fields but can't seem to find a way to turn the name into a twitter page link.

I am also looking for a solution to this. I want to make it possible for users to add their Google+ and Twitter usernames, for example, and make them clickable in the profile (and not just on the topic view). Is this possible?

You have to modify the skin template skin_profile -> customFieldGroup__contact to link additional custom contact fields.

I feel a bit billy silly but would you be kind enough to give a path to where i find that / looked but not tripping over it ?
thanks

• 4 weeks later...

When editing a skin in the ACP, it's under "Profiles" -> customFieldGroup__contact

I am muddle fussing here trying to get one of these to work, and I have copied the url one and renamed it for youtube (only because i have no ideas fr the different codes that would be needed, but they are still coming up as dead links ? is there something else i need to do ? re cache something ?

also if people know the codes needed for other options / skype youtube etc that would be great
thanks
Pete

Would be nice if there were more guides for these kind of things.

for you and those that follow

first go to your acp / members / custom profile and you can one or more of the following fields

field title > facebook > fieldkey = facebookfk
field title > youtube > fieldkey = youtubefk

and i also ran a email / message connection as well

field title > email > fieldkey = emailfk

once that is sorted follow the guide above to edit the ACP / "Profiles" -> customFieldGroup__contact once there you can add the following

<if test="cf_youtubefk:|:$f->raw_data['pf_key'] == 'youtubefk'">
<a class='url' href='hxxp://www.youtube.com/{$f->parsed}'>{$f->parsed}</a>
<else />

<if test="cf_facebookfk:|:$f->raw_data['pf_key'] == 'facebookfk'">
<a class='url' href='hxxp://www.facebook.com/{$f->parsed}'>{$f->parsed}</a>
<else />

<if test="cf_emailfk:|:$f->raw_data['pf_key'] == 'emailfk'">
<a class='url' href=' hxxp://yoururl.com/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=form&from{$f->parsed}'>{$f->parsed}</a>
<else />

* note with the email url replace yoururl.com with your url

** it is also important to add 3 ( or the required amount depemdant an how many fields were placed ) end if statements below (just add them before the others there)

</if>
</if>
</if>

then save and your done.

lastly you can go into your cpanel and upload the images (supplied below) to this path > public_html/public/style_extra/cprofile_icons (check your image path and adjust if need be)

go back into your ACP members / custom profile fields and add these image lines to profile icon field

style_extra/cprofile_icons/facebook.gif
style_extra/cprofile_icons/youtube.gif

style_extra/cprofile_icons/Email.png

save and yur done. (if you change the image name then edit the image path to match

* NOTE with the email / message option this runs straight from the built in message / mail system that if thier alerts are set correct they will get an email and or message. to stop a long url being diplayed all they need to do is add thier Member ID number which is shown in the url bar at the top when they are logged into their profile and would be entered like this example > MemberID=21 This option keeps email / contact details private.

you can visit an example here > ok enjoy.

edit, will add a twitter one later tonight / sorry missed that one

Just adding the twiiter options as above

field title > Twitter > fieldkey = twitterfk

<if test="cf_twitterfk:|:$f->raw_data['pf_key'] == 'twitterfk'">
<a class='url' href='hxxp://twitter.com/#!/{$f->parsed}'>{$f->parsed}</a>
<else />

</if>

style_extra/cprofile_icons/twitter.gif

-

Much appreciated for the tutorials. However I'm for some reason having a little issue here. (see pic)

Could you explain a little more the ic really does not tell me what or where any problem is

do you have a link as i am not really following this ? where is it showing the url twice ? are you adding just the name or the full url to the input field / it should be just the name / or extension so to speak ?

update for people reading the above

< a class='url' href='hxxp://www.facebook.com/{$f->parsed}'>{$f->parsed}</a>
< else />

* note the xx is just to remove the live link so please replace it with tt

when adding the updates / locate this line in the middel ( before the </if> )

{$f->parsed}

then add the update above and the end if below for the end if for each additional new contact you wish to add

example

< a class='url' href='hxxp://www.facebook.com/{$f->parsed}'>{$f->parsed}</a>
< else />
{$f->parsed}
</if>

• 9 months later...

Archived