Lifetime License

ZakRhyno

Will IPB offer Lifetime Licenses again?

Probably not, but only a member of management can say for sure. I think IPS offers licenses with custom terms for businesses who need special accommodations, but I'd expect the cost to be quite high if you want to get a lifetime license. :hmm:

Will IPB offer Lifetime Licenses again?

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say... NO!

I'd wager that if IPS held a sale for one weekend, where someone could buy a Lifetime license (with an optional renewal feel of $10/6 months for the add-on services), that the sales department would be swamped with orders. Even if the cost was $500 per license and no discounts.

How are IPS's licenses not "lifetime"? When your member account expires, you can still use your board.

A Lifetime license used to be offered and what you get with it is a lifetime of support and downloads. It's like the Standard license, except it never expires and also you don't get the extra services (spam, etc)

They wont. When they changed to the renewal structure, they explained their reasoning quite soundly - lifetime support licenses are very good value for the purchaser, but they're not really conducive to the long term solvency of a company. There's a point where you've sold to every customer you can, and at that point without a renewal structure in place, you've reached the end of the revenue possibilities too, and it's only a matter of time before you run out of cash reserves and have to shut up shop. And that's bad for everyone.

Amusingly though, a Lifetime license holder with all plugins actually pays more in renewals than a community suite holder each year.

It's very unlikely the Lifetime licenses will ever return - iBotPeaches is spot on: there was a time when it made sense, but nowadays the costs of actually continuing to provide support for them is more than we ever made - we have people who submit tickets every few days who haven't paid a cent in over 5 years (and of course, the technician dealing with that ticket has to be paid).

Of course, we will honour the promises we made to the people who purchased them, but I don't think they will ever be sold again.

It's very unlikely the Lifetime licenses will ever return - iBotPeaches is spot on: there was a time when it made sense, but nowadays the costs of actually continuing to provide support for them is more than we ever made - we have people who submit tickets every few days who haven't paid a cent in over 5 years (and of course, the technician dealing with that ticket has to be paid).

Of course, we will honour the promises we made to the people who purchased them, but I don't think they will ever be sold again.

One should not exaggerate the support.
I needed in 7 years one technical support.
Much can be done yourself, you have to support not exploit to the utmost.
They enjoy the lifetime license, but not overdo it with the support.
Do they appreciate it, but do not overdo it, i think thats not OK, even if IPS this promise fulfilled.

So Mat - stop putting in tickets every few days ;)

Hardly. Most of my tickets are actually directed at sales. So far, I've established "no matter how soon you have to quote your client, we still don't know what we're charging for IP.Nexus" and "no, you can't run multiple copies of IP.Content for different sites with only one IP.Board license". The others are maybe once every few months because I've discovered some new Windows incompatibility. Almost always ends up with a bug being raised :P.

It's very unlikely the Lifetime licenses will ever return

Understatement of the decade.

I still have my Lifetime License account. :P But...err...I don't remember my details. :(

You should try contacting IPS via a ticket, maybe they can help find it for you.

One should not exaggerate the support.

I needed in 7 years one technical support.

Much can be done yourself, you have to support not exploit to the utmost.

They enjoy the lifetime license, but not overdo it with the support.

Do they appreciate it, but do not overdo it, i think thats not OK, even if IPS this promise fulfilled.

Huh? :blink:

Hardly. Most of my tickets are actually directed at sales.

In all the time that I've used IPB, I believe I have needed their support 0 times (for resolving an issue on my board). I've opened tickets with regards to merging accounts, paying an invoice, etc. But so far, never to fix an issue I've been having. This doesn't include new/beta releases where there are bugs that someone (like Matt/bfarber) take a look to try to figure out the issue, but then they do that with many people that are more than glad to let them tinker around to get something working correctly. :)

• 7 years later...

one of my licenses is a lifetime license and it's listed as expired.

xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxxxxxxx-LIFE

Status

Expired

Purchased

04/01/2005

Expires

01/01/2016

so are you going to live up to your promise, or not ?

can I install IPB 4.21 on this site ?

Archived