More indepth profile customisation

cheatmaster30

I posted it here because this isn't specific to 3.1 beta and it's likely not going to be something added before 3.1's final release, but could future versions let you customise your profile a bit more? Background colour and image are nice and all, but I think we should be able to edit all the possible colours and backgrounds, like how vBulletin 3.7/3.8 did so. Bit more like Myspace and such like, less like merely Twitter.

No thanks. It'll be another thing that will have to be moderated, unused on less active forums, and possible very annoying. Doesn't support discussion.

Well, you could always have an option to allow only members within a certain group(s) to use it. I think the boards are heading more towards a social networking type community and further features such as this make some users feel more at "home." It even says "Community" Forum Software by IPB instead of Powered by IPB now. Enhancing the features for profile customisation doesn't support discussion (technically it can, people can talk about how their profiles look lol), but neither does the basic profile customisation in the first place, so according to that theory it should be removed completely. :P

The main problem with really enhanced profile customisations I see is that users who often use these features don't really have much of a sense for which colours go well together. You often get blinding eye colours, too high or too low opacity, or illegible fonts and colouring on their profiles. I guess you'll have to accept that it's "their" profile.

In the end, I think it just depends on the kind of board you run. Some might find even the basic profile customisation unnecessary whereas other boards find it a must have feature. :unsure:

IPS has done a ton to cater to formal vB users, but I for one wish they literally won't turn IPB into vB. There are reasons why people originally picked IPB over vB without having vB first.

People hate shout-boxes because they take forum discussion away from the forum. Changing a ton of colors won't help users find topics of their interests, etc.

IPS has done a ton to cater to formal vB users, but I for one wish they literally won't turn IPB into vB. There are reasons why people originally picked IPB over vB without having vB first.

People hate shout-boxes because they take forum discussion away from the forum. Changing a ton of colors won't help users find topics of their interests, etc.

But it's not turning IPB into vB. It's a feature more software will likely have in the future, that a fair amount of people request, that can be disabled on a board wide or likely user permission type basis if disliked. Sure, some sites won't use it, but some people like shoutboxes and fancy profiles. Who's to say those people have a less important opinion?

On this topic, I think there should be an option in the ACP to disable the ability to post comments to profiles... :)

There isn't? I'm kinda shocked by that.

IPS has done a ton to cater to formal vB users, but I for one wish they literally won't turn IPB into vB.

We have no intention of turning IPB into vB :)

As to the topic at hand, it's too early to say what, if any, new profile customization features will appear in later versions.

• 2 months later...
Guest CallieJo

I posted it here because this isn't specific to 3.1 beta and it's likely not going to be something added before 3.1's final release, but could future versions let you customise your profile a bit more? Background colour and image are nice and all, but I think we should be able to edit all the possible colours and backgrounds, like how vBulletin 3.7/3.8 did so. Bit more like Myspace and such like, less like merely Twitter.

I'd like to see this happen in the very near future as well. It's one of the features that my members missed the most from a previous script version. And one of the questions I asked about here in pre-sales...because it does matter to my communities.

Think about it this way. When a user uploads a background to their profile, it doesn't always match the style of the forum. Infact, most backgrounds clash with the forum style (including the default style).

What if profiles could be customized completely. Backgrounds, colors, fonts...etc..You could go further and take off the default header and footer, and replace with a custom one just for profiles (I've done this with other forum scripts & it was a hit). This would make the end user feel like the profile was more their own instead of more of the forum's. Give them freedom to colorized and decorate, and they will promote it to show it off to others. Just like Myspace users did.

No, we don't want to be VB or Myspace or whatever. This isn't about copying. It's about keeping end users in mind. There are many forums using IPB that include members who would love this option. Catering to end users is what makes big forums and social networks popular. Giving end users a sense of belonging with the freedom to decorate and show off profiles can only help promote your community that much more.

There are many types of forums and end users to consider here. Some do not need this option while others would love this option. It would be great to have the option to choose, at least. No one has to use it...but for those who want to, at least give them the option to do so.

And for those who don't want it, please don't shoot down our suggestions just because you don't want it. I don't do that to other suggestions I'm not interested in...I just try to support those I support.

My users weren't complaining when we switched from vb about profile customization, but they are complaining about the lack of BB code in profile comments, which I have already requested a couple times.

My profile messages look great with all the unparsed bbcode throughout them that were imported from vb. NOT.

People aren't just shooting it down because they don't want it, they're shooting it down because it's not something good or useful.

Then why are so many people here requesting the useless Social Group feature (which, by the way, my community could care less about when I used vb)?

Before you answer that--

You'll probably say people think they will be able to use them, etc, etc.

But what cheat and CallieJo are requesting has been a feature set that has been used at their sites in the past and it was successful.

My point is--just because there is a request out there, the feature may not work for you, but may work for others.

No need to have an elitist attitude.

Guest CallieJo

People aren't just shooting it down because they don't want it, they're shooting it down because it's not something good or useful.

This is the same exact attitude that kept me from participating at vbulletin.com forums for years. Apparently, there are people here that don't want to hear other peoples suggestions either. Maybe you don't mean to sound offensive...but that's how some of us will take it. And that's why you won't see others reply with their support or suggestions, too. They don't want your kind of responses on their opinions.

It would be different if you replied once. I already read that you don't support this idea. But, replying to anyone who supports the idea is a bit much and comes off offensive to some.

Just trying to explain my view...and going off the topic (ugh!) to do so....Sorry...maybe I should just keep quiet or look for other solutions elsewhere....or go back to using my vbulletin licenses.

My users weren't complaining when we switched from vb about profile customization, but they are complaining about the lack of BB code in profile comments, which I have already requested a couple times.

My profile messages look great with all the unparsed bbcode throughout them that were imported from vb. [size="3"]NOT[/size].

Then why are so many people here requesting the useless Social Group feature (which, by the way, my community could care less about when I used vb)?

Before you answer that--

You'll probably say people think they will be able to use them, etc, etc.

But what cheat and CallieJo are requesting has been a feature set that has been used at their sites in the past and it was successful.

My point is--just because there is a request out there, the feature may not work for you, but may work for others.

No need to have an elitist attitude.

Thank you and have a splendid week*

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CallieJo

I added my suggestions relating to and supporting the OP's suggestions. You replied with the same "Don't want it" opinion I already read from your previous replies...and I replied back.

Nowhere did I say or hint at not wanting to hear anyone's opinions. Having a reply of a different view doesn't prevent others from sharing theirs.

You don't have to say it out. You only have to reply to any supporters with the same "don't want it" opinion your first several replies already expressed. You don't support the idea. We get it. Thank you for your same opinion.

In any case, it doesn't matter. You have your opinion and I have mine. How about we agree that we just disagree...

Regarding the trend of forums adopting more social networking type features... Does facebook allow you make a custom background?

I think it's a bad idea. :no:

1) It's tacky, and 2)ultimately, as a previous poster mentioned, it takes away from the discussion.

Archived