More indepth profile customisation

cheatmaster30

Guest CallieJo

Regarding the trend of forums adopting more social networking type features... Does facebook allow you make a custom background?

I think it's a bad idea. :no:

1) It's tacky, and 2)ultimately, as a previous poster mentioned, it takes away from the discussion.

IPB already allows custom backgrounds:

Including Twitter backgrounds:

It would be nice if IPB went one step further and let the end users customize the rest of the colors/backgrounds so they actually match their custom backgrounds. It makes sense and helps make the profiles less tacky looking when users can match the rest with the background they already chose. We have partial custom profiles atm....the OP was suggesting to take it a bit further. I support the OP's suggestion 100%.

Guest CallieJo

I don't have a picture to show of IPB profiles. However, I can give a few examples of how this works elsewhere:

• Here's a nice example for customizing Twitter (you can change all colors on everything and use preset color combos): http://web1.colourlo...emeleon/twitter
  • Twitter. Changes the background and all other colors to "match". With IPB you cannot change any of the content areas, or header, footer, etc. to match the background used.
  • VB3.8 profiles came the closest. You can change all areas of the profile with a color, font, background image, borders, etc. Not just the main background, but also everything else like: blocks, comment area, editor, etc. Where this fails is that unless you hack the templates you are stuck with your forum's header and footer to clash. Many, including myself, hacked the template to change the whole profile page styling to that of the users css chosen.
  • VB4 is adding them back in another release.
  • Myspace. Self-explanatory. Notice how Myspace profiles don't have the Myspace color combination for the header, footer, blocks, etc after a user changes their profile? The profiles inherit the users custom colors and backgrounds, etc. Unlike IPB (background only) or VB3.8 (does not include header and footer).
  • Another discussion on this very same topic (added because VB & IPB users are discussing this same topic here): http://xenforo.com/c...r-profiles.306/

On another note...Not directed at anyone....More like my venting, I suppose...Only read if you want to hear me complain & explain where I come from...

I really like IPB and was looking forward to Nexus. But, the profiles...no. Because I need custom profiles for our business community and I'm having second thoughts on sticking with IPB for our online community to re-open. I had thought there would be a hack somewhere to do this but there isn't and I run an actual business offline (and have a fam) and don't have time to learn how to code or I would do it myself. Don't tell me to hire someone and pray it won't go wrong, either. I'd be better off going back to VB when custom profiles are back in their next release, instead. And, I'm not the only one wanting more custom profile options in IPB, VB, XF, etc.

Having custom backgrounds was a start for IPB...but, it's not enough for some. One of my communities is not a hobby site. It's a community online for our business we run offline. Using the right script for our re-open is a must. One of the most requested features right now is profile styling. I tried to get around it, but cannot. Therefor, I'm at a stand still on re-opening atm after buying the whole IPB suite for it and paid skins and mods. And pissing people off because I should have had it re-opened already.

We need custom profiles similar to what we had up in VB3.8. Going back to VB3.8 is not an option...The bottom line is that we need a script that is updated and moving forward like IPB, but with more custom profile options.

I'm tired of arguing why custom profiles are needed for some communities like my own. It's like a losing battle and I'm losing time & money every time! Why do I need to argue this and explain why we need it? I'm not the only one who needs it! Look around at the other forum community script businesses! I am...watching all of them to see if theirs is better for our needs atm.

Sorry to go on and on...This is a tireless subject anymore...

Have a splendid weekend...

This is the same exact attitude that kept me from participating at vbulletin.com forums for [u]years[/u]. Apparently, there are people here that don't want to hear other peoples suggestions either. Maybe you don't mean to sound offensive...but that's how some of us will take it. And that's why you won't see others reply with their support or suggestions, too. They don't want your kind of responses on their opinions.

It would be different if you replied once. I already read that you don't support this idea. But, replying to anyone who supports the idea is a bit much and comes off offensive to some.

Just trying to explain my view...and going off the topic (ugh!) to do so....Sorry...maybe I should just keep quiet or look for other solutions elsewhere....or go back to using my vbulletin licenses.

Thank you and have a splendid week*

If someone finds him responding stating this isn't a good idea as being offensive, the internet is surely no place for them..

Personally, BB Code in profiles is pointless.. Oh goody another place to spam emoticons or post images...There's good places for BB Code and bad places, profiles/comments/status updates are bad places because it can so quickly break the flow of the board experience all together

And yes, we DO enjoy hearing new ideas... but hearing the same ones over and over that were declines is tiresome, there are some things that IP.Board will never have in it that VB does and vise versa...

If you really need it, you can get it in a mod or custom code block which Im fairly sure several people would be glad to help you with doing..

Guest CallieJo

If someone finds him responding stating this isn't a good idea as being offensive, the internet is surely no place for them..

Saying someone's suggestion is "not something good or useful" is offensive & pointless. Just because it's not to you doesn't mean it's not to others.

Personally, BB Code in profiles is pointless.. Oh goody another place to spam emoticons or post images...There's good places for BB Code and bad places, profiles/comments/status updates are bad places because it can so quickly break the flow of the board experience all together

That's your opinion. Others disagree. There is already a post somewhere here to fix the issue for those who need it or converted from VB and were left with BB code messes. Maybe VB users shouldn't convert? Especially since some of the features they need or liked and suggested here are shot down by anyone who thinks it's just pushing IPB into a VB clone. When reality shows that some features are used by many other scripts & social network sites...it's not just about what VB has. That includes the bb code and smilies in profile comments.

And yes, we DO enjoy hearing new ideas... but hearing the same ones over and over that were declines is tiresome, there are some things that IP.Board will never have in it that VB does and vise versa...

Declines? So, somewhere it was said that this suggestion is declined? Well, then...I suppose I'm wasting my time here with IPB...aren't I? Maybe someone should post a list of suggestions that were declined so others like myself don't waste their time here...

If you are hearing the same ones over and over...well, you'd think it is something many people need or want. Otherwise, they would not suggest it over and over. Both VB & IPB users are discussing the custom profile suggestion on XF. Yet, I don't see the same posting here. Why? I already see why. Yet, the same VB users are posting there that had posted at VB. Makes ya wonder why they don't speak up here...at least it makes ME wonder. But it's not hard to see why.

If you really need it, you can get it in a mod or custom code block which Im fairly sure several people would be glad to help you with doing..

There are no mods for a fully functional custom profile addon. I've been here for months and have searched all the resource sites and have googled...nada! This thread is a suggestion for IPB to add it. I didn't realize it was already "declined" as you pointed out. Therefor I wasted my time, what little patience I had left, and money....wow!

Have a splendid weekend*

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived