"View New Content" - Search with IPB 3.1

Noles

I've been thinking about this post all day.

The two options are intended to

1) Show me all topics I have not read (there is a hard timeframe cut off in the ACP as well, so this could be limited to all topics in the last 90 days, for instance)

2) Show me all topics since my last visit (both read and unread will show in the results, however as soon as you leave/come back the list will be refreshed)

The thing I keep getting hung up on is the concept of 'last visit'. I specifically do not go to forums powered by vb that use a certain thread marking system that marks everything read if I stop clicking on the key board for 15-30 minutes, unless I have a certain amount of time to allocate. Which to me, discourages use of that forum... but maybe that is just me.

Would it be possible to simply have 2 buttons 'content' and 'new content'? Content = everything read or unread going back a long long time, 'New Content' would be 'show me all content I have not read', but also going back a long long time?

If I could find some one to code it, would it be difficult?

If you would like to view all content posted within a specific timeframe, then 'Active Content' is the best bet.

Do you mean 'show me all new content since my last visit'?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That already exists. :)

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active

(On board index scroll down to the stats area, and it's "Today's active content" on the black bar above the stats).

You'll notice in the bottom right you can change the time period. This page shows all content over a certain time period, new or otherwise.

That already exists. :)

(On board index scroll down to the stats area, and it's "Today's active content" on the black bar above the stats).

You'll notice in the bottom right you can change the time period. This page shows all content over a certain time period, new or otherwise.

Thanks! What Matt posted now makes sense.

I'll spend some time with that feature.

EDIT: at first it appears that all content, read or unread, shows up. But this topic is not listed in the Active content even though it is the last to be posted to? Is there a cron/task that needs to run? I'll keep testing.

edit2: this topic just showed up in the list. I'll make some test posts in the proper area.

I vaguely remember there is a setting in the admincp to exclude certain forums from Active content, or it may be in the members settings. I cannot find the option in my account on this forum, and my Hosted Community we are renting has been down for many hours (I will send a ticket).

To summarize: forgive me for making this 'test post'.

edit: this thread showed up in the list of Active content right away. Next step will be the coffee pot. >_<

The View New Content and Active topics link at the bottom SHOULD be merged into one feature...

The second is ONLY found way at the bottom of the page on the main forum. and i just clicked new topic when viewing it in the mobile skin, and now when i click on it it says there is nothing new.

PLEASE Consider this...

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/298374-cant-migrate-my-forums-till-i-can-add-this-feature/page__p__1918497#entry1918497

I have paid for a license last year but have not moved my forum over YET until i can put this feature IN.

The View New Content and Active topics link at the bottom SHOULD be merged into one feature...

The second is ONLY found way at the bottom of the page on the main forum. and i just clicked new topic when viewing it in the mobile skin, and now when i click on it it says there is nothing new.

PLEASE Consider this...

[url="http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/298374-cant-migrate-my-forums-till-i-can-add-this-feature/page__p__1918497#entry1918497"]http://community.inv...97#entry1918497[/url]

I have paid for a license last year but have not moved my forum over YET until i can put this feature IN.

Why should they be merged into one feature? They have two different purposes and they function differently.

If you want a link at the top of the page, you can certainly alter your skin to add it next to view new content.

I humbly disagree that they indeed are the 'same' in terms of the results generated (format & presentation) are the same only the scope of the results differ ( records / range / status )

From my perspective people like to LIVE in the STREAM of time and this is the best way to view the 'stream of active content' however because the 'View New Content (VNC) will only display content for TODAY stuff that I haven't read.

But as soon as i read it and then it disappears from that list - its not obvious that there is a method to restore or at least view the NEW stuff in the same context.

The problem is the link of the Todays Active Content (TAC) is that its scope is limited too the only option is increase the set of results by increasing the scope of range. So if I am on '24 Hours' and at the LAST page but remember that it perhaps was further back in time. I'd have to change the range to WEEK and my result is thrown back to the beginning of the results i just waded thru. I have seen this filter propagated over and over again by many forums but the usefulness leaves much to be desired. And because its only increasing the range the server load takes a hit. Forcing the user to return a larger set of records just to step thru them again. Lets move that link to a more prominent position (all pages) as part of this site and part of the distribution!

My proposal is a WIN-WIN for everyone a way to step back in time and catch up on the content - typically I KNOW when i was last on a site and this would allow me to step back to that point and then move forward in time to catch up. The VNC assumes to show me everything i haven't seen but in my experience i feel like i am missing something. No fault to IPB but others are flakey and rely on cookies or sessions or some other method to track when i was last on and i've had inconsistent results.

If you viewed my link http://www.screencast.com/users/oceanwest/folders/Jing/media/017e87dd-062c-4f03-bc8c-bc968bf74ab5 in my prior post you'd see what it is I am after.

In my mind the View New Content would be just an option to the results to filter it to items that i have NOT read. but allow me to toggle them off to return the list for today / yesterday the day b4 that / day / by day / and or by weeks at at time.

Think of it this way - forums in nature are competing with Social networks like Twitter / Facebook. where the 'STREAM' is king. And the hierarchal nature of forums is sadly taking a back seat to them.

• Management

I don't disagree actually. We'd need to implement any merging with respect to how its currently used. It's not something for 3.1 but I do want to make improvements in this area in a future release.

• 3 months later...

In my mind the View New Content would be just an option to the results to filter it to items that i have NOT read. but allow me to toggle them off to return the list for today / yesterday the day b4 that / day / by day / and or by weeks at at time.

[snip] [/snip]

Think of it this way - forums in nature are competing with Social networks like Twitter / Facebook. where the 'STREAM' is king. And the hierarchal nature of forums is sadly taking a back seat to them.

For me this is a huge issue since the upgrade from 2.something to 3.1 - sorry if I missed something along the way but if I did, its not reflected in this thread....

(off this topic) a [snip (I cut your post into bits (and posted in between the snips) /snip] would be sweet too.

Brian (irishbikerforum.com)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived