Topic vs Thread?

Tanax

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

Can we replace the Reply button with a Select of...

"Reply with argument"

"Publicly dismiss this post as unimportant because it makes you a man"

"Troll this topic"

"Other..."

I think a feature that automatically grabbed 10 links from Google backing up your argument would be a time saver too.

• Management

I think that members should organize a 'Topic vs Thread' Bag Day protest and hold it in front of the Invision offices. We could hold Charles ransom until our demands are met. Put Wolfie in charge.

I think kidnapping Charles is an excellent idea. Be warned, the ransom had better be low or we may just.....

I think that members should organize a 'Topic vs Thread' Bag Day protest and hold it in front of the Invision offices. We could hold Charles ransom until our demands are met. Put Wolfie in charge.

You can have him.

Just a little fun. Honestly, though, I really don't think it's worth adding code for settings, etc. You're probably the first person to suggest this. :)

Perhaps not.
But if you've seen, there are people who agree that thread is a more proper word to use, so just because this is the first thread about it doesn't mean that there isn't any demands :)

• Management

On the flipside, after 7 years of calling it a "topic", to rename it a "thread" would confuse all our existing customers and our users.

I see the value in your suggestion, but it's not something we're going to change or add a setting for as you can translate it via the Admin CP easily enough.

On the flipside, after 7 years of calling it a "topic", to rename it a "thread" would confuse all our existing customers and our users.

I see the value in your suggestion, but it's not something we're going to change or add a setting for as you can translate it via the Admin CP easily enough.

I can understand how it would confuse your existing customers(providing that they haven't changed it themselves seeing as there appears to be people who are doing that), but I'm not asking you to change it :)

I do suggest you to consider the setting feature tho. I did try the language pack edit, and it was a hassle to be honest. I searched for topic and got 15 pages+. It does take quite a while to change all that and I mean, if there are people who actually prefer thread over topic, or even discussion over topic, it would be a killer feature since it would save them probably an hour or 2 by just having a setting they can change :)

Poor Charles. So easily Expendable. Now if we kidnap Rikki....... Rikki might give a little leverage.

AND OMG you totally added that image to the skin. *falls over*

Rikki's one of us (a Brit), of course he's worth more. Don't be silly!

I can understand how it would confuse your existing customers(providing that they haven't changed it themselves seeing as there appears to be people who are doing that), but I'm not asking you to change it :)

I do suggest you to consider the setting feature tho. I did try the language pack edit, and it was a hassle to be honest. I searched for topic and got 15 pages+. It does take quite a while to change all that and I mean, if there are people who actually prefer thread over topic, or even discussion over topic, it would be a killer feature since it would save them probably an hour or 2 by just having a setting they can change :)

Is it safe to assume that you converted to IPB from another software package that used "thread" instead? You'll notice here, it's mostly converts that think "it should be thread" and mostly those who started with IPB thinking it should be called "topic". It's just a matter of what you're accustomed to.

One must remember, we have our own way of doing things here. We've called it "topic" since the beginning of time (~2002 really) and we're not going to start adding settings to change a single language string because you believe it should be called something else. That's exactly what the language files are for: so you can change the text/wording to suit your purposes. :)

LOL who changed the start new topic icon at the top. :shifty: anyway start a new topic looks cooler than thread to me.

+1

You have to love a place where the developers can jump in and answer questions, listen to suggestions and even poke fun with a good joke by adding an additional button to the topic.

You guys are great!

Jamie

btw, since Charles isn't needed can I borrow him? I am tweaking a skin and need him to break it for me so I know what not to do... learn by example... :devil:

6) Grab a cup of tea

I'd prefer water, chocolate milk (with tons of extra chocolate syrup added for a very rich flavor), grape/orange soda, kool aid, 7-Up/Sprite, Ginger Ale... Tea is somewhere further down. Coffee isn't even on the list unless it's ice cream.

:D

But I mean.. To take the Wolfie example about school.

The topic can be division. Much like my topic is "Topic vs Thread?". The discussion in the math class would revolve around the topic division. But! The discussion takes place within the classroom. If I were to say it with IPS naming rules, I would have a math class about division in division. The topic is what the discussion is about, but it's not the name for where the discussion takes place.

You are still not seeing it clearly (the example that is). The math class wouldn't revolve around only division. Division would just be one topic. There's also algebra, fractions, percentages, etc. They are all different topics, housed in the math class (which would be only one forum out of several on that same board).

Can we replace the Reply button with a Select of...

"Reply with argument"

"Publicly dismiss this post as unimportant because it makes you a man"

"Troll this topic"

"Other..."

:lol: That's classic.

I think kidnapping Charles is an excellent idea. Be warned, the ransom had better be low or we may just.....

He's not worth that much to be honest, easily replaceable.

I wouldn't kidnap Charles anyway. Matt would be more entertaining to have as a hostage. Grab a few SubWay sandwiches and go terrorize a few vB support sites for some laughs. In the meantime, let Charles grow some grey hairs from stressing out and then he can yank them out when Matt returns unharmed, talking about enjoying the vacation he just had.

Seems like the best solution.

Possible icon idea:

[img]

[/img]

LOL who changed the start new topic icon at the top. :shifty: anyway start a new topic looks cooler than thread to me.

AND OMG you totally added that image to the skin. *falls over*

That is epic.

What really rocks is that it only shows for this topic. %7Boption%7D

Only shows for the top button though, not the one at the bottom??? :huh:

Archived