Download: (PIN) Topic Hover Preview

Peter F.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Version 1.0.7 is now available for purchase/upgrade at [url="http://www.modstation.com"]The Mod Station[/url]

Changes from 1.0.6 -> 1.0.7:

• An installer bug has been fixed which was preventing fresh installs working on 3.1.x
  • Fixed this bug which was causing the Topic Hover Preview to work erratically in Chrome.
  • Updated to be fully 3.1.2 compatible (This version will only work on 3.1.2 and above.
  • Implimented a vB style "Title Hover" option in the settings. Admins can now choose whether the "Title Hover" or the "AJAX Hover" is used. In order to reduce page queries the post data for the hover is cached on topic creation/replies/manipulation when the "Title Hover" option is used.
  • Added an option to allow the admin to choose whether or not the Topic Hover Preview is shown to everyone. If this option is activated then there is no need to set permissions for the hover preview and any permissions already set will be ignored.
  • An option has been added to the Search View to show the post searched as the preview as opposed to the default hover view used in the rest of the forum. By default this option is turned on.
  • If the system is turned on it will now remove the built in "Hover Icon" so as not to confuse users.

I've updated the board here with the new version (1.0.8 now) and I've set it to attach the popup to the topic title (it's controlled by a setting now). You'll need to do a hard refresh to load the proper javascript (as will your members on your forums).

Changes from 1.0.7 -> 1.0.8:

• Fixed a bug which was causing the AJAX Hover to appear incorrectly/not appear.
  • Fixed a bug with the quote stripping routine
  • Quotes, Images, and codeboxes are now replaced by a blank string so as not to take up "hover space"

Excellent mod and thanks from my members who are happy to see this back on the site.

One thing though - is it possible to change the time-out for the TITLE hover behaviour? Some members are complaining it's disappearing before they get a chance to read it.

Cheers,

Shaun

Yeah I'm getting the same thing. When you point to a topic it flashes on and off so fast you can't even read it & I'm also getting the permission issue on my subforums.

Excellent mod and thanks from my members who are happy to see this back on the site.

One thing though - is it possible to change the time-out for the TITLE hover behaviour? Some members are complaining it's disappearing before they get a chance to read it.

Cheers,

Shaun

The title hover flashing out before people being given a chance to read it isn't something I've come across during my testing. What browser version is being used by the users reporting this behaviour?

It's not something directly controlled by the app but I will attempt to find a fix for it.

IE8 for me ... version 8.0.6001.18702 ... :D

I just tested on your forums using IE8 (version 8.0.6001.18904) and the title hover option (both as a member and as a guest) and it's displaying fine for me. The title option stays visible until I move my mouse away from the link. I've also tested it in Firefox v3.6.8 and Chrome v5.0.375.125 (both of which are reporting that they are the most up to date versions) and I'm not able to reproduce the issue.

Maybe try upgrading your browser to the latest version and testing again?

As I mentioned it isn't something that is controlled by the mod but I will look for a solution if upgrading to the latest version of the browser doesn't solve it.

By the by version 1.0.9 released

Changes from 1.0.8 -> 1.0.9:

• Fixed a bug which was causing the AJAX Hover to display a "no permission error".
  • Fixed a bug title hover that was treating the TITLE hover option to be displayed incorrectly in some browsers

Excellent service ... and thanks for looking into it.

Also, I didn't know that users could disable the "hover preview" in their settings and default back to the IPB click preview - that's good to know as some of my members may actually prefer the "new" way of doing it .. lol

Thanks,
Shaun :D

I am using Firefox and just installed the update. Everything works fine now except for the mouse out and pane popup options when used together. The mouse out feature works fine if the pane popup is off but if you turn them on together when you point to a topic it flashes on and off at a rapid pace making it unreadable. As long as you have the pane pop up off everything works fine. This issue is with the Ajax hover only. That's the only issue I've been able to find now since the latest update. Thanks so much for your hard work peaderfi...

I appreciate that there have been a lot of updates over the past few days. This is primarily due to the fact that I rewrote large sections of the app completely for the 3.1 series of IP.B in order to take advantage of some new features that were only available in the 3.1.x series.

Version 1.1.0 available

Changes from 1.0.9 -> 1.1.0:

• Fixed a bug which was causing the AJAX Hover to act incorrectly when used in conjunction with the "show to everyone" setting enabled.

I get the problem as above and still get the no permission error. Have done a hard refresh and checked all permissions.

There was a bug specifically related to the AJAX hover if one had the "show everyone" option enabled at the same time. This has been fixed in the latest version.

I am using Firefox and just installed the update. Everything works fine now except for the mouse out and pane popup options when used together. [color="#FF0000"]The mouse out feature works fine if the pane popup is off but if you turn them on together when you point to a topic it flashes on and off at a rapid pace making it unreadable[/color]. As long as you have the pane pop up off everything works fine. This issue is with the Ajax hover only. That's the only issue I've been able to find now since the latest update. Thanks so much for your hard work peaderfi...

This highlighted issue still exists after 1.10 in the ajax hover....

I'm not able to replicate that on http://www.modstation.com where I have it setup exactly as described by the first part of the red text. I've tested it with the latest versions of Firefox, IE8 and Chrome.

Would you be able to pm me further details on how to replicate the issue including the following information:

• Browser version you are using
  • Operating System used
  • The exact steps you go through to replicate the issue
  • Screen resolution you are using to replicate the issue
  • ACP/FTP details so I can do further investigations

EDIT: I just thought of something. Is the pane popup by any chance appearing in between your mouse cursor and the link you are hovering over? If so that would explain the rapid appear/disappear alternation that you would be experiencing. If this is the case it would mean that every time the pane popup appears between your mouse and the link it is causing the pointer to "mouse out" and so causes the pane to disappear, which in turn then makes the link visible and under the pointer causing it to "mouse in" again and have the hover display again, which repeats ad nauseum.

If that is the case I suspect that there isn't a lot that I can do to "fix" the issue as the pane location is determined by IPS's popup class and the mechanism to handle mouse out events is handled by a combination of your browser and the prototype javascript class. However I will certainly look into it and see if there is anything I can do to solve the issue.

The mouse out feature works fine if the pane popup is off but if you turn them on together when you point to a topic it flashes on and off at a rapid pace making it unreadable.

OK. There is also a HUGE problem. With your mod running in forum display view I use 75 queries with every refresh, without it running only 9. Also on Forum Index when running 52 queries, without it running 6.

Whelp they were both fun to track down and fix... :huh:

I'll be doing some testing on them to ensure that they are indeed fixed. If that goes well a release fixing both of these issues will be uploaded later today.

Version 1.1.1 available

Changes from 1.1.0 -> 1.1.1:

• Fixed a bug which was causing unnecessary queries to be made when the TITLE Hover option was being used in conjunction with the FIRST POST option.
  • Fixed a bug which, if the AJAX Hover option was used in conjunction with the option to display it as a pane, was causing the popup to flicker in and out rapidly if it happened to appear on top of the link that was being "hovered" on

After the latest update it appears to be working flawlessly. Thanks for the great support! I do have one question though. is there a way for the poster's name to show in the popup? Right now their avatar will show but not their name. It'd be nice to be able to see their name included.

Archived