Download: (PIN) Topic Hover Preview

Peter F.

Im still getting the same issues i had before where IE8 users report that the skin changer dissapears and the navbar tabs dissapear.

I can only assume now its clashing with another mod.

This is with version 1.03

just to reiterate that I am looking into this issue.

All installed and working, however, I note that it works with lofi on mobiles...is there any way to stop this from being applied to the lofi skin ?

It shouldn't have been applied to the lofi skin at all...I'll look into the lofi issue asap.

I'm interested just hoping all the bugs have been worked out!

I'm working as hard as I can to find and eliminate any issues that are brought up.

FYI, I have several Skinbox skins and the community skins installed on my site. I'm not having any issues with Firefox or IE8 on my site. So it may be other mods causing issues for others. I highly recommend this mod.

i do too, just the wee issue with the lofi displaying the hover...

The mod is good, i havent disputed that and i did also state that it MAYBE clashing with other mods installed.

There are some things missing in the app itself such as calling images that arent there but im sure peaderfi will find and fix them as his support is excellant.

However just because you dont have issues doesnt mean the mods 100% perfect! If its clashing with other mods then we need to collaborate and figure out which mods might be causing the issues.

If you are experiencing a missing image on some skins you need to redo this line of the installation:

/upload/public/style_images/master/  	→  	/public/style_images/other-skin-image-folders/

That line is essentially saying that for any other skins you have installed you need to upload the contents of /upload/public/style_images/master/ to the image folder on your site for that specific skin. For example with the cleancut skin there is a folder called clean in /upload/public/ which holds all of the images for that skin. In order for the images to display on cleancut you must upload the images contained in the master folder to the clean folder. There is only one image that this mod calls, so that is the only possible image problem I can think of.

Woah... On my forum - this has added 30+ queries to the index page. Going to have limit which forums it's allowed on !

Edit - I've looked at the queries and it looks like the query

SELECT i.* FROM permission_index i WHERE i.app='topichover' AND i.perm_type='forum' AND i.perm_type_id=XX

runs for every visible forum & subforum that is displayed on the index page (and subsequent pages).

This looks like it applies on forum pages with respect to threads...

So whilst you can de-assign permissions to particular forums, it still runs the query against "live" forums.

Can this be "tidied" up so that it's using the ACP permissions as opposed to what I assume, is live topics ?

It is using the ACP permissions. You need to query the permissions table to get the permissions allowed. This is how IPB's built in permissions work. However I will see what can be done in terms of reducing the number of queries it uses.

What it does is grabs all of the viewable topics, as supplied to the template by IPB, it then checks if those active topics, by checking if the forum they are in, are permitted to show topic hovers. If they are it adds the forums to an array of "allowed forums".

For the topics that are contained in allowed forums it needs to grab the text of the post it is to display. It needs to do that for each topic that its going to display the topic hover for as the text of the post is not provided by IPB in the data they do have.

As I said I will look into reducing the number of queries it makes and try to reduce them as much as I can.
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks for that..

I've reduced some of the queries by tidying up redundant forums, but if you can reduce that again even further, that would be perfect.

All that aside though, I've got to admit that it's an amazing mod, certainly streets ahead of anything I had when I was on vbulletin.

Keep up the outstanding work mate !

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to purchase this for my board, but when I click on download, it doesn't give me the option to download or purchase....any help would greatly be appreciated!

Make sure to read the OP in full so that you are completely aware of the T&Cs. Then at the bottom of the OP click on this image %7Boption%7D and it will bring you to the payment page.
  • 2 weeks later...

I just installed this mod and unfortunately I don't think I will be able to leave it enabled in my forum. I run an art forum, and having giant images popping up in the hover preview of quite literally every other post won't fly. It does operate very smoothly though. I think there are a couple of features that should be implemented in the future. The first of course being able to disable images, or perhaps scale the image down to a manageable size just for the preview. Also, an optional 'delay' that can be set in the AdminCP or on each individual user's settings. I would prefer it if the topic hover did not appear for a half second or so. Anyways, pretty great mod overall, but the pictures issue definitely needs to be addressed.

*Edit* Unfortunately I have to take that back. This mod has really given my forum the once over for IE viewers, and worse yet uninstalling the mod does not fix the problem. I am in real trouble now and have no idea how to fix my forums.

Here is what it looks like in IE now:

post-148249-126779218476_thumb.jpg

It most definitely did not look like this before I installed the mod. You can visit this link with any other browser to see how it should look.

Alright it actually looks messed up in Opera as well. I tried reimporting my skin as I exported it recently, but the new import still looks messed up. What is this mod changing that it isn't removing when you uninstall it? I really need to get it back to where it was before I ever installed.

I just installed this mod and unfortunately I don't think I will be able to leave it enabled in my forum. I run an art forum, and having giant images popping up in the hover preview of quite literally every other post won't fly. It does operate very smoothly though. I think there are a couple of features that should be implemented in the future. The first of course being able to disable images, or perhaps scale the image down to a manageable size just for the preview. Also, an optional 'delay' that can be set in the AdminCP or on each individual user's settings. I would prefer it if the topic hover did not appear for a half second or so. Anyways, pretty great mod overall, but the pictures issue definitely needs to be addressed.

The ability to remove images on a per user basis is something that I am adding to the app.

*Edit* Unfortunately I have to take that back. This mod has really given my forum the once over for IE viewers, and worse yet uninstalling the mod does not fix the problem. I am in real trouble now and have no idea how to fix my forums.

Here is what it looks like in IE now:

post-148249-126779218476_thumb.jpg

It most definitely did not look like this before I installed the mod. You can visit [url="http://www.theillustrationboard.com/index.php?/forum/4-artwork/"]this link[/url] with any other browser to see how it should look.

Thats very odd since I tested it in IE and Opera extensively.

The app adds in two templates and a couple of hooks. Thats it. Uninstalling the app should uninstall both the templates and the hooks as IPB keeps track of what is installed by what app.

Did you perform the extra template edits? If so did you remove them after uninstalling the mod?
Check and see if the hooks were uninstalled when you uninstalled the mod.

If after all of that your templates are still messed up pm me ACP details for your forums and I'll see what is happening. However given what it does it should not be behaving like that at all...

Alright it actually looks messed up in Opera as well. I tried reimporting my skin as I exported it recently, but the new import still looks messed up. What is this mod changing that it isn't removing when you uninstall it? I really need to get it back to where it was before I ever installed.

The app doesn't change *anything* in your default templates. It adds in two hooks, a usercp form, and some settings to your ACP. If you performed the optional edits ensure that you uninstall the edits after uninstalling the app.

Yeah I am sure it is not the fault of the mod. I just have so many little modifications going on that it's finally caught up with me. I have managed to narrow down the problem quite a bit though in the last 20 minutes or so now that I have calmed down. Hopefully I will be able to figure it out shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed the Mod and everything seems to be working properly. I did notice that it seemed to add a "Topic Hover Preview" option to the main menu at the top of the page. (Under the Forum Logo) When you click on it, it doesn't seem to do anything. Any idea how I can remove that from the upper menu?

post-149506-126902828198_thumb.png

Aside from that one little quirk, I really like the Mod and my users are raving about it.

Thanks!

I've installed the Mod and everything seems to be working properly. I did notice that it seemed to add a "Topic Hover Preview" option to the main menu at the top of the page. (Under the Forum Logo) When you click on it, it doesn't seem to do anything. Any idea how I can remove that from the upper menu?

post-149506-126902828198_thumb.png

Aside from that one little quirk, I really like the Mod and my users are raving about it.

Thanks!

That was mistakenly activated in the install file. You can edit that out by, in your ACP, going to Manage Applications & Modules and choose to Edit the Application Details for the Topic Hover Preview app. There is a setting called hide tab which allows you to hide the tab.

I am having two issues with this mod. One when I disable the view on board index and subforums feature it still drives my queries from 6 to 90 on a board index load, it also doesn't disable it. i also have the pop up that says "view topic, start" then it goes away after 5 seconds.

I am having two issues with this mod. One when I disable the view on board index and subforums feature it still drives my queries from 6 to 90 on a board index load, it also doesn't disable it. i also have the pop up that says "view topic, start" then it goes away after 5 seconds.

Support is provided via the tickets system & support forum for this product on The Mod Station where it is downloaded from. If you open a ticket specifying the precise problem, including a link to your site. so I can debug I will get to it as soon as I can (I've got a meeting that I'm already running late for that is going to take up my time for the next few hours).

Archived