File Name: (PIN) Topic Hover Preview
File Submitter: peaderfi
File Submitted: 03 Feb 2010
File Updated: 26 Oct 2010
File Category: Applications

(PIN) Topic Hover Preview Info
Description
(PIN) Topic Hover Preview
This Application allows an admin to offer their users a "Topic Hover Preview" facility both in the forums and the forum search results. It allows for restriction of the Topic Hover Preview to specific forums and specific permission masks. Further to this the admin can decide that only topics from a certain forum/group of forums will have the Topic Hover Preview facility in the search view, which can also be restricted on a per mask basis. A screen capture of the app in action can be found here.

Screenshot: %7Boption%7D

Terms of Purchase
Any and all Applications & Hooks purchased from (PIN) Modifications (ie peaderfi) come with the following terms and conditions: All purchases made are final once the product has been delivered. This is due to the fact that I am unable to ensure, if given a refund after delivery, that you will not continue to use the product. Prior to product delivery should a buyer not wish to continue with a transaction they should contact the author via personal conversation quoting the transaction ID and requesting a refund.

1. Refund Policy
    here
  2. The product will have deemed to have been delivered once the product has been downloaded from the facility provided on .
The Mod Station

For reference a new version is deemed to be a major point release of IP.Board. If the product stops working between minor point releases a fix shall be provided free of charge.

Mod Stationhere

[*]Updates/Upgrades When a new version of IP.Board comes out I will endeavour to ensure that the paid products work with the new version and produce an update/upgrade for the product. For those who have already purchased the product this upgrade will cost as follows: Initial Cost $10 and under: Half Initial Purchase Price Initial Cost between $10 and $20: $7.50 Initial Cost over $20: $10.00 Wish to Purchase? You may purchase this application by using the following purchase button: %7Boption%7D . There is a clickable field on the form which allows for the entry of your username. This field must be filled out otherwise I will be unable to deliver the mod. If you have sent payment but forgotten to fill out this field you can send me a personal conversation to verify the purchase by including the transaction ID of the purchase. Any purchases which do not have a method of contact that is not email will be refunded 3 days after the purchase. You will be able to download the app via the Download system on http://www.modstation.com once you have been promoted to the Customers Group. I will endeavour to promote people as soon as a receive the payment, however as I am manually verifying each purchase there may be a delay if I am away from my computer when the purchase is made. Click here to download this file
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It uses IPB's built in display parser so all bbcodes should be parsed (I'm somewhat surprised myself that that particular one didn't parse). I'll need to look into the code a bit deeper to see why that one didn't parse. Should have a fix for it soon.

So will it then display big images or videos if that is displayed a bbcode?

It uses IPB's built in display parser so all bbcodes should be parsed (I'm somewhat surprised myself that that particular one didn't parse). I'll need to look into the code a bit deeper to see why that one didn't parse. Should have a fix for it soon.

Sounds good! Great work.

As Ian has pointed out, is there any way to get it to restrict what BBcode is parsed to prevent things like images etc?

Sounds awesome, will definitely consider buying it. Just a quick suggestion, if it's possible, can you make it so that it removes bbcodes in the preview rather than just not parsing them?

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Would be nice if you could make it remove everything in the [ ]. :D

Otherwise it looks great!

I've fixed this particular issue.

very nice - thank you.

You're welcome.

If this resource intensive for users?

The majority of the work is done by the server. There is some javascript which is used to "pop" the Topic Hover Preview into its nicely formatted box.

That being said I've made significant attempts to optimize the resources it does use as much as possible.

also can it be turned on for all users (so they can disable) rather than them discovering it and enabling it.

By default it is turned on for all users. Users can then turn it off themselves using the setting in the UCP.

So will it then display big images or videos if that is displayed a bbcode?

Currently yes. However if a member has chosen not to view images in topics then it will strip those out (again using IPB's built in methods.

Sounds good! Great work.

As Ian has pointed out, is there any way to get it to restrict what BBcode is parsed to prevent things like images etc?

Currently no. However it is something I will look into adding.

Thanks for the answers - would be nice to see it live action on a forum.

Can the 'topic hover preview' part be removed? Looks a bit pointless to have it.

My main forum is being used as a gaming clan so I can't open that up for previews. I'll be cleaning up the dev forum in the next week as its currently "IN_DEV" and not really in any shape to be shown as a test forum. (A number of other apps are being devloped on it right now which aren't finished, and are thus causing some errors in the unfinished places.)

Right now there isn't a facility beyond manual edits of the hooks. However again its something that I will look into adding.

Can the 'topic hover preview' part be removed? Looks a bit pointless to have it.

Just a quick note, this feature is now added in. Admins now have the option to choose whether or not the "Hover Header" is shown on the Topic Hovers as well as the ability to change the text of the "Hover Header" itself.

Mind you - people miss things if there is too much on a page - tabs are probably a good idea (after all they are used to tabs in browsers now)

And trust me, it will be a feature people either love or hate - I used to run a similar version on my last forum software - but had to turn it off as it was not user controllable. Many liked it, but to others it was annoying.

This looks nice and I may purchase it for my forum. However, I don't feel the UserCP setting should have its own tab with just a single option. This should probably get added to one of the existing tabs, such as the "Settings" tab (its own side tab there would be fine).

..Al

Mind you - people miss things if there is too much on a page - tabs are probably a good idea (after all they are used to tabs in browsers now)

And trust me, it will be a feature people either love or hate - I used to run a similar version on my last forum software - but had to turn it off as it was not user controllable. Many liked it, but to others it was annoying.

Well I do plan to add a couple more user controllable settings down the line so a new tab makes the most sense. Additionally, adding settings to an already existing tab would require file edits, which isn't something I want to do.

Imagine if all modifications created their own tabs for settings--it'd be a complete mess. Even if a few more settings for this one modification are added, I feel they really should go under "Settings->Topic Hover Preview" or "Forums->Topic Hover Preview" in a side tab, rather than creating a global UserCP tab.

..Al

Imagine if all modifications created their own tabs for settings--it'd be a complete mess. Even if a few more settings for this one modification are added, I feel they really should go under "Settings->Topic Hover Preview" or "Forums->Topic Hover Preview" in a side tab, rather than creating a global UserCP tab.

..Al

True, but as mentioned it would require file edits of core IP.Board files to do so. I've done up an extras html file (which will be included in the package) that details the necessary file edits required to add the setting to the Forums tab of the UserCP as that would be the logical place to put it after its own tab. However the default behaviour of the mod, having its own tab in the UserCP, will not be changing as I feel that the app having its own tab is warranted given it's nature.

True, but as mentioned it would require file edits of core IP.Board files to do so. I've done up an extras html file (which will be included in the package) that details the necessary file edits required to add the setting to the Forums tab of the UserCP as that would be the logical place to put it after its own tab. However the default behaviour of the mod, having its own tab in the UserCP, will not be changing.

I don't mind making file edits (I already have a ton in my forum) so I appreciate your describing how to place the settings elsewhere. If this is already available, I'll purchase the mod today. :)

Thanks,

..Al

I am not aware of any other user controllable features installed currently as mods - however one solution to this would be if anyone else released such mods for the admin to be able to control as to which tab the choices came under and have the option to rename that tab.

So instead of having 5 tabs, they have one extra tab with 5 options on it.

Not sure how it would work or whether it would need a change from IPS core code - but it is just a thought.

I prefer zero edits - as it is a pain when a new version of IPB is released - after all that is the point of hooks :)

I am not aware of any other user controllable features installed currently as mods - however one solution to this would be if anyone else released such mods for the admin to be able to control as to which tab the choices came under and have the option to rename that tab.

Not sure how it would work or whether it would need a change from IPS core code - but it is just a thought.

This would, of course, be ideal. :)

I prefer zero edits - as it is a pain when a new version of IPB is released - after all that is the point of hooks :)

Zero edits is nice, I agree. I'm a bit surprised that it's not possible to use hooks to add settings to existing UserCP locations. I already have a lot of mods on my forum (most created by myself and I haven't taken the time to see which I can convert into hooks), so upgrading is already a big, hairy pain in the butt. I'd personally rather deal with the edits (and merging) than having oddball options floating out by themselves.

..Al

I don't mind making file edits (I already have a ton in my forum) so I appreciate your describing how to place the settings elsewhere. If this is already available, I'll purchase the mod today. :)

Thanks,

..Al

I've just done it up there and it will be included in the package.

The way in which application settings can be added to the UserCP is:
  • Set up file called usercpForms.php so that it contains the required methods
  • Place it into the extensions folder of the application for which you are adding the settings
  • IPB does the rest

Currently there isn't a way to hook into any files that are not in the modules_admin or modules_public folder of an app. Which means that the only way to add it to another applications UserCP is via file edits of that file in the application whose tab you wish to add it to.

Depending on how one of the new hooks works in IP.Board 3.1 it may be possible to do what you are proposing then. That being said, the idea is definitely a good one, and one which would I would absolutely recommend suggesting to IPB.

This would, of course, be ideal. :)

Zero edits is nice, I agree. I'm a bit surprised that it's not possible to use hooks to add settings to existing UserCP locations. I already have a lot of mods on my forum (most created by myself and I haven't taken the time to see which I can convert into hooks), so upgrading is already a big, hairy pain in the butt. I'd personally rather deal with the edits (and merging) than having oddball options floating out by themselves.

..Al

Aye no edits is definitely the way to go imo and its something that I've tried to hold true to in all of my mods (for example "out of the box" this mod currently works with 0 file edits).

As mentioned above, currently the hook which might be able to do what is being suggested isn't available yet, and I won't be sure if it is capable of doing so until the 3.1 beta comes out.

Archived