IE6 bugs, do we get to report them?

Enkidu

OK

I give up, I just give up call me whatever you want but every time I fix something in IE6 it messes up another in IE7. These bugs are mostly RTL related.

hence my question: are we allowed to report IE6 bugs?

if no, I would suggest to start a work group (a topic would be nice) where we,as customers, can discuss, share, and come up with hacks and solutions for Internet Buglorer :P

cheers :D

and happy new year

But why fix things for an obsolete browser that no one should be using anymore?

3DKiwi

obsolete? really? yesterday I got 75 visits by people using IE6, with bounce rate of almost 100%, no wonder why, my board looks like sh%$ under IE virgin sex.

They all should upgrade to IE8. Not as though it's going to cost them anything is it? Better still use Firefox 3.5.

I would be concerned if people running current browsers had problems with your site. I've had people report issues with my site. In most cases suggesting that they update their browser version has resolved the problem.

3DKiwi

They all should upgrade to IE8. Not as though it's going to cost them anything is it? Better still use Firefox 3.5.

I would be concerned if people running current browsers had problems with your site. I've had people report issues with my site. In most cases suggesting that they update their browser version has resolved the problem.

3DKiwi

I have installed IE6 detector, send them a newsletter about the virtue of upgrading, and started a campaign talking about how cool facebook looks under FF but yet some of them are still using the damn thing.

I guess it is not always possible to upgrade. I've worked with this company that still use Window$ 2000 to say the least. :hairy:

IE 6 support 1-800-Who-Cares

I have given up on those people... Although I bought the web 2.0 skin and it seems to stop 95% of the 'Barneys Girlfriend'ing.. :) I just make them use that skin.. simple and clean..

what skin? link please :unsure:

The official stance with IE6 is that if the bug breaks functionality, we will fix it, but if it's just a small oddity, we will not.
Reason being, as you seem to have noticed - it tends to cause problems in other, more frequently used browsers ;)

If it's something that'd affect all customers, you can post it to the bug tracker - we can assess whether it's a problem worth spending development time on or not. If you're making changes on your own site though, I'd recommend you put IE6 fixes in a conditional comment block so that IE6 is the only browser to see them - that way other browsers won't break :)

The official stance with IE6 is that if the bug breaks functionality, we will fix it, but if it's just a small oddity, we will not.

Reason being, as you seem to have noticed - it tends to cause problems in other, more frequently used browsers ;)

the only one I could think of is the slowness of the boar under IE6, I have already opened a ticket regarding IE7 quick reply slowness and I might do the same for IE6

cheers Mark

If it's something that'd affect all customers, you can post it to the bug tracker - we can assess whether it's a problem worth spending development time on or not. If you're making changes on your own site though, I'd recommend you put IE6 fixes in a [url=http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html]conditional comment block[/url] so that IE6 is the only browser to see them - that way other browsers won't break :)

yeah I know that but now I prefer making a special skin for IE6 :)

cheers Rikki

obsolete? really? yesterday I got 75 visits by people using IE6, with bounce rate of almost 100%, no wonder why, my board looks like sh%$ under IE virgin sex.

Really. IE6 is 9 years old browser. Who uses IE6 is obsolete as well. But have to say IE7 or IE8 is not any big win :D

Allright so I managed to find the reason for the 1st issue and it's because of this line:

/* remove background images from annoying places */

.maintitle, #footer_utilities, #ipboard_body .ips_editor .toolbar, #admin_bar {	_background-image: none !important; }

annoying places? :unsure:

Archived