Did new IPB 3 skin kill your forum?

Strike X

When I upgraded from IPB 2 to IPB 3 couples months ago, I am not getting many new members much anymore and even some active members stop using it.. my forum died pretty badly.

When I got some feedback from the users, I realise the new default skin put them off.

Most of them felt the new skin is commercial/business style and it does not suit the celebrity (sport) fans community.

So which Skin do you recommend (something similar to IPB 2 Skin) as long its regular updated.

We got the same reaction on our board and the traffic to the board nearly died. It took about 2-3 weeks before it was back to 70-75% of it´s usual traffic, but it´s still not back to normal after 2 months.
Had I realized how much it changed I would not have done the upgrade. My hope is now that the Classic Blue skin soon will appear again ;)

[quote name='Strike X' date='14 October 2009 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1255541570' post='1866512']
When I upgraded from IPB 2 to IPB 3 couples months ago, I am not getting many new members much anymore and even some active members stop using it.. my forum died pretty badly.

When I got some feedback from the users, I realise the new default skin put them off.

Most of them felt the new skin is commercial/business style and it does not suit the celebrity (sport) fans community.

So which Skin do you recommend (something similar to IPB 2 Skin) as long its regular updated.

Skinning up your forum is pretty much on you. If you dig around you will find a few very nice skins you can use for free till you get a better solution. You can also get Paint.net for free and edit up any images you want including logos.

As far as which people to get a skin from, your best to check into their reliability because some people are so busy they forget to upgrade or take care of the small things that make your life easy as a admin.

Best of luck to you, this is going to be a long couple months for many of us.

[quote name='Jonte' date='14 October 2009 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1255543122' post='1866528']
Had I realized how much it changed I would not have done the upgrade. My hope is now that the Classic Blue skin soon will appear again ;)

I am in the EXACT same position as you!

The Community Skinners are working to bring some of the famous 2.3.x skins up to 3.0.x. You can find the Community Skin Projects forum here...

http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/430-community-skin-projects/

But basically...

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/2568/entry-3546-community-projects-development-update/

We recently announced the addition of the community skins to our community project line-up. For the first release, 3 skins from IP.Board 2.3 will be released. These are IP.Board Classic Blue, IP.Board Pro, and IPSBeyond. You can view all of these on the company forums by choosing the skin selector. We are currently awaiting the finishing touches to two of the skins, and then they will be fit for beta where you can install them on your forums. We will have more information available soon for these skins.

Community Skins

Since upgrading to 3.0.2 in the summer, our board, which used to be extremely active, has taken a serious drop in participation. Many members complaining about new format (personally, I like the new board) and issues with slow loading. At first I thought this was just the vocal few who don't like any change, but after several months I have come to the conclusion that the issue is a lot deeper.

Hope the new 2 style skins in development make them feel more comfortable.

Any ideas on why so many are experiencing slow loading. I use three vastly different computer, on three different Internet connection types, with the top 3 browsers and don;t have a problem. BUT many do.

All the best,

Doc

No problems for me with drop off in membership / forum activity. One thing I did was wait until 3.03 was out so that bugs could be resolved and also a few skins were available. 3.0.4 seems to run quicker than 3.0.3 and at times I found 3.0.3 slow.

I think if anyone is running the default skin and not offering any alternative skin then they only have themselves to blame if people move on as it's pretty boring.

3DKiwi

[quote name='DevilDamo' date='15 October 2009 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1255646763' post='1867191']
I am in the EXACT same position as you!

The Community Skinners are working to bring some of the famous 2.3.x skins up to 3.0.x. You can find the Community Skin Projects forum here...

http://community.inv...-skin-projects/

But basically...

http://community.inv...lopment-update/

Soon. ;)

I've had the opposite effect on my site. Our traffic increased. We have 60-80 people on the forums at any given moment. And the status update feed has become very heavily used. But my site is very heavy in the 15-24 demographic and making it more facebook-like seems to have appealed to them.

Archived