Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help. Yesterday morning, around 2 a.m., my Invision installation started constantly hitting 100% CPU, which is obviously slowing down people browsing my community. My website idles typically around the 5%—10% CPU mark.

I have disabled all applications, but the problem persists; I have a warning that my PHP is on version 8.0.30 and that my SQL is on non-InnoDB tables, which I am looking to rectify now.

Is there anything else that could be causing this?

Thanks,
Dean

Just to add, upon inspection at the WHM level, SQL is taking 65% of my CPU usage; I'm not sure if this is normal. I'm currently taking a full backup before upgrading PHP and moving to InnoDB tables.

In all honesty, I wouldnt jump to conclusions on a topic such as that. You are doing the correct thing at the moment with INNODB, which is actually the most likely to be causing you issues at this point

2 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

8.1 for v4.7.x

Last question, how do I prune the repeated log error? I know what the error is and have fixed but need to prune it from the logs.

9 minutes ago, Dean Hamer said:

Last question, how do I prune the repeated log error? I know what the error is and have fixed but need to prune it from the logs.

You can go to ACP -> Support -> System Log -> Prune Settings. It will automatically prune it based on the timeline there. Alternatively, if you have like hundreds of thousands of logs, you can truncate the core_log table. Be sure to take a backup prior to doing so if you do.

Are there any more database suggestions in ACP -> Support? Could you please check your credentials on file and ensure that they are accurate (looks like you've provided display name instead of email which your site requires)?

31 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Are there any more database suggestions in ACP -> Support? Could you please check your credentials on file and ensure that they are accurate (looks like you've provided display name instead of email which your site requires)?

Just some dangerous php functions enabled which I am currently disabling. I have updated my access details, let me know if you have any issues getting on.

Thanks

I've logged in to my vps shell and looked at what is the biggest load and it is showing as SQL

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Text, Measurements, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

I've all so rebooted my host.

So, I tested my theory, and I have found that the website works perfectly once I make it offline. When I make it online, it grinds to a halt, with the CPU hitting 100% consistently.

I turned the site on around 8/9 p.m. last night, and it was 100% almost instantly. I set my alarm for 03:00 and turned it off, and the CPU immediately dropped to normal levels and stayed at that level throughout the morning. I will now make it online, see what processes are making it 100%, and post the results.

Could contain: Chart, Plot

You need to check with your hosting provider to see what is using the CPU. If its sql (I suspect it will be) then you need to see what exactly is running. Adding slow query logging may help you to ascertain this

3 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You need to check with your hosting provider to see what is using the CPU. If its sql (I suspect it will be) then you need to see what exactly is running. Adding slow query logging may help you to ascertain this

This is currently what is running before I go online.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text, Measurements

Posted (edited)

As expected, turning the site online, the CPU has now gone back up to around 100%. Interestingly, I'm not sure that SQL is the issue; the first screenshot below shows the CPU usage going up.

Could contain: Chart

The image below shows the processes that are taking up the CPU usage:

Could contain: Page, Text

/opt/cpanel/ea-php81/root/usr/bin/php-cgi /home/USERNAME/public_html/index.phpInterestingly, I don't think this is SQL related based on the evidence above.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Text, Page, Number, Symbol

Edited by Dean Hamer

I would advise on contacting your hosting provider for assistance with this. The index file is the root to all pages on your site, so that wouldnt nessesarily be an indication its not mysql. 

Apologies for the lack of communication on this. I must start with an apology. The slowness was not application-based at all and was, in fact, a cyber attack from a Hong-based IP. Once it was blocked, our issue was instantly fixed. 

I am still not sure why making the forum offline fixed the issue though 🙄

6 hours ago, Dean Hamer said:

Apologies for the lack of communication on this. I must start with an apology. The slowness was not application-based at all and was, in fact, a cyber attack from a Hong-based IP. Once it was blocked, our issue was instantly fixed. 

I am still not sure why making the forum offline fixed the issue though 🙄

Because it was not a “real” fix. Turning the forum offline basically disallows anything from happening. Serving that offline page takes very little resources. It’s like saying you fixed a problem with your car by turning it off. Sure its no longer making the sound… but its not what caused it to happen. 🙂