Lock Status updates when Suspended

Myr

If you don't want him updating his status, then you should be suspending his account. All you're doing right now is moderating his posts, that does nothing for things like status updates, signatures, avatars, personal conversations, emails, blogs, galleries, etc., etc. Why should just status updates be included as something they are restricted from updating when they are on post moderation?

[quote name='Μichael' date='04 August 2009 - 12:40 PM' timestamp='1249404041' post='1838071']
If you don't want him updating his status, then you should be suspending his account. All you're doing right now is moderating his posts, that does nothing for things like status updates, signatures, avatars, personal conversations, emails, blogs, galleries, etc., etc. Why should just status updates be included as something they are restricted from updating when they are on post moderation?

I see the OP's point, but I'd tend to agree with Michael here. You opted to moderator preview his posts, and that's what IPB did. If getting them to stop doing anything is important, you should probably suspend the account for a couple days.

That would take the feature a lot farther than our current intentions. Right now it's a single field in the DB (along with a timestamp tracking when you last updated it). You'd have to have a kind of history to show the last status update that they submitted before being suspended, or you'd have to complicate the SQL query to check if the user is suspended (and the way status data is stored, that isn't a "simple" query). Ultimately, you do want your board index page to be fast, so we don't really want to add a lot of heavy queries where they're not necessary.

Of course, saying all that, I intend to look into adding the ability to edit the member's status and about me text from the edit member page on the front end soon. Most people causing problems (or spam accounts) tend to update Website, Status, About Me, and/or Signature. You can only fix website and signature from the front end currently, so giving you the ability to edit the other 2 should help make things simpler.

Just had the same thing happen on my site as well. The kid was put on post moderation, but got angry and decided to take it out on us by spamming the Recent Status Update Hook and trying to stir up the other users; also ended in suspension. It would be nice if there was just a reset feature or something on the hook itself that admins could click to clear it when needed. Being able to reset it from teh profile would be a good step. Glad this is being looked into though. :thumbsup:

[quote name='bfarber' date='04 August 2009 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1249441727' post='1838355']
Of course, saying all that, I intend to look into adding the ability to edit the member's status and about me text from the edit member page on the front end soon. Most people causing problems (or spam accounts) tend to update Website, Status, About Me, and/or Signature. You can only fix website and signature from the front end currently, so giving you the ability to edit the other 2 should help make things simpler.

That would help a lot, thanks!
Myr

Archived