Deleting topics

Michael

When you're in a topic and you choose the topic moderation option to delete that topic, you not only get a javascript prompt asking you to confirm this, but upon accepting that you go to a second page where you have to once again confirm you want to delete the topic. Did folks have a problem with the old way, where you only got one confirmation screen? The new way seems like overkill to me.

We want to make sure you're really REALLY sure.

"I selected delete from a dropdown menu, then clicked submit, then confirmed the popup but I didn't really want to delete the topic!!! Why didn't IPB ask me again to make sure I was really really sure??!?!"

[quote name='bfarber' date='10 July 2009 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1247280863' post='1824186']
We want to make sure you're really REALLY sure.

"I selected delete from a dropdown menu, then clicked submit, then confirmed the popup but I didn't really want to delete the topic!!! Why didn't IPB ask me again to make sure I was really really sure??!?!"

That's why there's a Trash Bin option. I don't think the second confirmation is really necessary. If the moderator can't read, then it's his or her own fault, not the software's.

[quote name='Μichael' date='10 July 2009 - 09:07 PM' timestamp='1247274462' post='1824144']
When you're in a topic and you choose the topic moderation option to delete that topic, you not only get a javascript prompt asking you to confirm this, but upon accepting that you go to a second page where you have to once again confirm you want to delete the topic. Did folks have a problem with the old way, where you only got one confirmation screen? The new way seems like overkill to me.

I think the second confirmation screen should have a pop up that says, "Are you absolutely positively and definitely sure? This is your final chance to not make a mistake!"
:lol:

Just kidding. How about if the trash bin option is active and the deleted post(s)/thread(s) will be going there, then the second confirmation should get skipped.

If something says "there will be no further confirmation dialogs", then that should be enough warning to not delete the topic if you don't want to, well, delete it.

It's the same as with the release of IPB 3.0. You said like crazy there would be bugs. If people ignore the warning, they deserve to live with the bugs until they're patched in a new version.

I lol'd.

Also, is there a way to turn off the 'Delete' feature from the trashcan? If not, I believe it should be included, since if I'm ever going to empty the thing, it's all going, not just one or two posts/topics...

I say add another 6 or 7 confirmation screens just to make sure that it's me actually wanting to delete the thread and not just my OCD making me want to click things.

[quote name='Edward V' date='11 July 2009 - 10:11 PM' timestamp='1247364709' post='1824638']
I lol'd.

Also, is there a way to turn off the 'Delete' feature from the trashcan? If not, I believe it should be included, since if I'm ever going to empty the thing, it's all going, not just one or two posts/topics...

So just don't use it..

• 3 months later...

Archived