What happened to the Search system?

TCWT

It still has everything.. Except for result types (topics/posts), how to sort (example, date) and whether or not to search subforums, it's all there. But now you can choose the start and ending dates instead of being restricted to relative start/end times.

I don't like that it's defaulted to "most relevant" or whatever. I prefer newest results first, because typically, a search on forums is for recent activity. Haven't looked to see if I can change the default behavior in the ACP.

• Management

The only thing that was removed was the search index which was to do with how items were saved before searching. The actual form hasn't changed. It may appear basic most existing items from 2.x are still there but only available once you've searched.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='13 June 2009 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1244910132' post='1809706']
It still has everything.. Except for result types (topics/posts), how to sort (example, date) and whether or not to search subforums, it's all there. But now you can choose the start and ending dates instead of being restricted to relative start/end times.

A normal search shows result type as post. If you select "search titles only" it shows as a topic. There's an additional setting in the CPU savings to give you the ability to search posts but show as topics (this adds a lot of overhead so it's off by default) if you need that option.

You can sort by relevance or date on the results screen.

You can search subforums or not by selecting them or not on the advanced form.

All 3 of those features are still there. :)

[quote name='bfarber' date='15 June 2009 - 10:56 AM' timestamp='1245077780' post='1810248']
A normal search shows result type as post. If you select "search titles only" it shows as a topic. There's an additional setting in the CPU savings to give you the ability to search posts but show as topics (this adds a lot of overhead so it's off by default) if you need that option.

You can sort by relevance or date on the results screen.

You can search subforums or not by selecting them or not on the advanced form.

I prefer being able to see the whole post (even if I have to scroll inside of a small result box per row), not just a snippet. Always disliked a board defaulting to listing the topics but then you have to read the entire topic or search within it to find why it hit (I've noticed this on vb boards, just as an example, not as a put down).

When I get to the results, I either forget to click to sort by date, or I remember but then I have to wait because of doing another search too soon. It's not just resorting the results, it's redoing the search too, and that triggers the flood control.

Subforum searching as in, I click on a root forum and then have it search all those underneath it (all it's children) or not, depending on what I want, without having to highlight several forums/subforums to accomplish it.

Also, is there a way to make it default to date sorting rather than relevance sorting (in ACP perhaps)? That's the biggest thing for me. The multiple forums and only seeing a snippet, I can deal with, but that sorting method is a pain. :D

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='15 June 2009 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1245084753' post='1810290']
...When I get to the results, I either forget to click to sort by date, or I remember but then I have to wait because of doing another search too soon. It's not just resorting the results, it's redoing the search too, and that triggers the flood control.

While in the background another search is performed, this should *not* trigger the flood control for the record.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='15 June 2009 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1245084753' post='1810290']
Subforum searching as in, I click on a root forum and then have it search all those underneath it (all it's children) or not, depending on what I want, without having to highlight several forums/subforums to accomplish it.

Eh, you CAN already accomplish what you are after, though. You can select a parent forum and all it's subforums. The button was useless if you ask me. ;)

Also, is there a way to make it default to date sorting rather than relevance sorting (in ACP perhaps)? That's the biggest thing for me. The multiple forums and only seeing a snippet, I can deal with, but that sorting method is a pain. :D

No, but you could add in a hidden input field on the search forms to do this. :) Like most any dynamic web application, it's simply a request parameter, so if you supply it in the form then it will be honored.

I prefer being able to see the whole post (even if I have to scroll inside of a small result box per row), not just a snippet. Always disliked a board defaulting to listing the topics but then you have to read the entire topic or search within it to find why it hit (I've noticed this on vb boards, just as an example, not as a put down).

My feelings exactly. Often times, I want to read all posts by a certain member without having to go through each topic they posted in. I've always disliked how it was setup on vb.

Brandon, if you would please provide a setting in ACP to enable this. ;)

[quote name='bfarber' date='15 June 2009 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1245090745' post='1810339']
When I get to the results, I either forget to click to sort by date, or I remember but then I have to wait because of doing another search too soon. It's not just resorting the results, it's redoing the search too, and that triggers the flood control.

While in the background another search is performed, this should *not* trigger the flood control for the record.

No, but you could add in a hidden input field on the search forms to do this. :) Like most any dynamic web application, it's simply a request parameter, so if you supply it in the form then it will be honored.

When I've used the search on this board and went directly to sort by date, it tells me that I must wait before performing another search. If it's not supposed to be doing that, then it's a bug.

As for the default result method, could a future release (3.1?) have it as an ACP setting, so that it's a default regardless of skin?

[quote name='TCWT' date='15 June 2009 - 04:18 PM' timestamp='1245097081' post='1810385']
My feelings exactly. Often times, I want to read all posts by a certain member without having to go through each topic they posted in. I've always disliked how it was setup on vb.

There is a link on each result that takes you directly to the specific post (in the way the results are shown now), just I prefer to be able to read each entire message without having to click to see the post. The drawback though, and may have something to do with it, is that there is more data to load per post (especially for really huge posts) and could be a server load issue.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='15 June 2009 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1245100819' post='1810413']
There is a link on each result that takes you directly to the specific post (in the way the results are shown now), just I prefer to be able to read each entire message without having to click to see the post. The drawback though, and may have something to do with it, is that there is more data to load per post (especially for really huge posts) and could be a server load issue.

I know that and I would prefer the entire post shown on the results even if it means having the scrollbars in the box... so I basically agree 100% with what you said about having the posts shown that way. :D

[quote name='bfarber' date='15 June 2009 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1245102608' post='1810421']
@Wolfie, I'd rather see it as a user-based setting than an ACP setting, but I don't see a problem with adding a setting itself.

I also want to see results by date instead of relevance as the default. I'd really like to see this added to the search form, and use either a global ACP setting or user setting to set the default value.

..Al

I have to agree about the search results not showing enough of the post. You don't see the relevant section of the post that matches the keywords you searched for, which makes the search results much less useful. You'll have to spend considerably more time clicking each result to find what you're hunting for. Also, the search terms do not appear to be highlighted as they were before.

..Al

[quote name='AtariAge' date='15 June 2009 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1245103154' post='1810423']
I also want to see results by date instead of relevance as the default. I'd really like to see this added to the search form, and use either a global ACP setting or user setting to set the default value.

..Al

Me three, it's like that on most other places.

I made a topic about suggestions on the Search system: http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/227337-search-system/page__p__1422575__hl__search__fromsearch__1&#entry1422575

Only the date range have been implemented. Who would've thought it would take 2 steps back... :whistle:

[quote name='bfarber' date='15 June 2009 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1245102608' post='1810421']
@Wolfie, I'd rather see it as a user-based setting than an ACP setting, but I don't see a problem with adding a setting itself.

As for showing the post, that was a design decision. Talk to Rikki. :whistle:

When you say that you don't see a problem with adding a setting, are you saying it could be tossed into 3.0 final as a user based option, ACP (global) or something else? Don't want to assume you mean the first thing even though that would totally rock (if you do add it at any point, please make it default to date rather than relevance and maybe in 3.0.1 make the skin change to tell people on the search results that they can change the default setting in their UserCP). If not then I can wait until v3.1, if you decide to add it in.

As for the design, and the reason for the second quote, I'd say to include a little bit more of each post, if the entire post won't be included. Either that or perhaps an ACP setting to either use the new format or to include the entire post in the result. Would be perfect actually, because then boards with heavy loads could use the reduced (new) style but low volume boards could allow for full posts.

[quote name='AtariAge' date='15 June 2009 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1245103608' post='1810424']
I have to agree about the search results not showing enough of the post. You don't see the relevant section of the post that matches the keywords you searched for, which makes the search results much less useful.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='15 June 2009 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1245104311' post='1810428']
When you say that you don't see a problem with adding a setting, are you saying it could be tossed into 3.0 final as a user based option, ACP (global) or something else? Don't want to assume you mean the first thing even though that would totally rock (if you do add it at any point, please make it default to date rather than relevance and maybe in 3.0.1 make the skin change to tell people on the search results that they can change the default setting in their UserCP). If not then I can wait until v3.1, if you decide to add it in.

We won't be making any changes like this in 3.0 I'm afraid. ;) Too close to having it finalized to add in changes.

[quote name='bfarber' date='15 June 2009 - 07:56 PM' timestamp='1245110192' post='1810476']
We won't be making any changes like this in 3.0 I'm afraid. ;) Too close to having it finalized to add in changes.

So then, 3.1 I'm guessing? So is it a definite to be tossed in or just up for consideration? :P

Here's a quick edit via the ACP to allow a change to the default sorting method:
Change default sort method of searches

[quote name='AtariAge' date='15 June 2009 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1245103154' post='1810423']

I simply don't find the "relevance" to be relevant enough and i doubt that will change even when i'm using more familiar content on our board.

For example i typed "search system" into the search just to see what I would get....this topic is nowhere to be found until i do a sort by date. And there are many many many examples like that.

Personally i think the "relevance" should have more preference for titles with the keywords or more recent topics.

I just did several searches here since I was looking for information on third-party chat software. Each time I had to manually click "Sort by Date" after the initial results came up, since the "Relevant" results were worthless, mostly because they were five freaking years old. Annoying, there definitely needs to be a way for the forum to remember your preference.

..Al

[quote name='bfarber' date='16 June 2009 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1245172222' post='1810735']
"Relevance" is MySQL's determination during a fulltext search. It's not an algorithm we've developed or anything like that.

What happens if you are running Sphinx?

..Al

Archived