Suggestion for IPB 3.0

Guest idanz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This author

doesn't thinks the same.

This is just twisted, inaccurate statistics if you ask me. Like most statistics out there, they can be misused. If ASP.NET is so popular, why are there not more forums scripted in ASP.NET? There's only about 10 commercial and non-commercial forums out there written in ASP.NET; however, there are 48 PHP forums available. Now, using this data, I could come to the conclusion that there's 5 times more PHP forums, and therefore 5 times more developers. From this, I could start making all sorts of claims about PHP vs. ASP.NET.

You're really acting like a child if you ask me, expecting your parents to give you everything you want.

If there's a demand, it'll likely be added, but you're alone in this, and your opinion alone doesn't really count as "demand". :P

How is he acting like a child? If theres money involved, anything is gonna happen, and if money is put on the table, the demand is an important must. First rule of business.

How is he acting like a child? If theres money involved, anything is gonna happen, and if money is put on the table, the demand is an important must. First rule of business.

I agree, there are any other effects/things which cannot let them do it.
About Your Avatar : You should remove your avatar, you may not use it & you didn't get permission. :whistle:

Indeed, but... often misquoted is that old adage "the customer is always right". The saying should read, "the customer is always right, except when they're wrong". Just because a customer demands something, does not make it financially viable to do so. Would rewriting massive chunks (or the whole thing!) of IP.Board in ASP.NET gain them more customers than they'd lose, and gain them more sales than the expense of doing it? Probably not, so it wont happen.

Jean, for the love of god give it up. If they don't like it, they'll act upon it, you need to cut it out because much like they (probably) don't have the authority to appear as if they work for IPS, you don't have the authority to speak as if you work for IPS.

You're really acting like a child if you ask me, expecting your parents to give you everything you want.

If there's a demand, it'll likely be added, but you're alone in this, and your opinion alone doesn't really count as "demand". :P

That's the problem, I am not asking you, and your opinion isn't really important for me.
And I am alone because most of you didn't understand what I asked, and most of you insisting that I asked to rewrite IP.Board to ASP.NET, while all I asked is an option to import a webservice, no knowledge in ASP.NET is necessary for this case.

First of all, your spamming that, second, i already removed it, third, you obviously dont know how to take a joke, fourth Dan C closed that topic, and fifth, stop talking like you work for IPS, its really annoying...

That's the problem, I am not asking you, and your opinion isn't really important for me.

And I am alone because most of you didn't understand what I asked, and most of you insisting that I asked to rewrite IP.Board to ASP.NET, while all I asked is an option to import a webservice, no knowledge in ASP.NET is necessary for this case.

I think you should just submit a ticket for this, you might get better results... ;)

I don't think the need for IPB to import web services is important, certainly not important enough to invest a lot of time into (which is what it would take). That said, I'm sure with the new component/hook framework in IPB3, it'd be relatively easy to develop something that can plug in web services wherever you choose.

However, I do think it'd be very cool if IPB3's API, assuming it has a good one, was SOAP-compliant (and preferably provided a WSDL definition), so that it could be easily manipulated with .NET as well as PHP, etc. That way developers like idanz would be able to use any data they wanted in their .NET app, and the only remaining hurdle would be how to get their produced data back into the pages.

I think you should just submit a ticket for this, you might get better results... ;)

As this isn't a support issue, you wouldn't get better results. This is the best spot for feature suggestions really. :)

Now, see, I'm a vBulletin license owner (Don't flame me, I looked into both systems equally before making my decison, vB just provided what I needed for my community, better)

However, with that said, I have been using IPB for as long as I could remember....(since version 1.0.x)

and I've NEVER seen someone ask for ASP/.NET support.....

HELLO, it's a script written in PHP/MYSQL, it's not written in ASP. To do what you want, that would take alot of unnecessary coding, and If you reply with "No it wouldn't." you're an idiot, because for the amount of users who 'want' this to be done, opposed to those who don't need this done, it's still a waste of time no matter how you look at it.

I support IPB, I just don't own a license for one (nor do I run one.) I plan on purchasing a license for a new project after 3.0.0 has been released and gone gold.

Now, see, I'm a vBulletin license owner (Don't flame me, I looked into both systems equally before making my decison, vB just provided what I needed for my community, better)

However, with that said, I have been using IPB for as long as I could remember....(since version 1.0.x)

and I've [b]NEVER[/b] seen someone ask for ASP/.NET support.....

HELLO, it's a script written in PHP/MYSQL, it's not written in ASP. To do what you want, that would take alot of unnecessary coding, and If you reply with "No it wouldn't." you're an idiot, because for the amount of users who 'want' this to be done, opposed to those who don't need this done, it's still a waste of time no matter how you look at it.

I support IPB, I just don't own a license for one (nor do I run one.) I plan on purchasing a license for a new project after 3.0.0 has been released and gone gold.

The only idiot here is you, I never asked for ASP.NET support and I am sorry that your brain couldn't realize it.
Just leave it...you didn't understand my point and you're insist about things I never asked for.

Can you stop spamming? I have seen you post stupid posts all over the place, mainly yesterday. Enough is enough already.

First, im trying to make the mood of this topic to a happy one, second, where else have i spammed? When i said lol? And what enough is enough?

First, im trying to make the mood of this topic to a happy one, second, where else have i spammed? When i said lol? And what enough is enough?

Should I mention the topic about the IPS avatars and team icons that was deleted? I don't see how you asking that will make the mood of the topic happy. Enough is enough when you realize this forum isn't a playground and depart :).

Can you stop spamming? I have seen you post stupid posts all over the place, mainly yesterday. Enough is enough already.

Who cares, its not like this topic was very useful in the first place. Obviously IPS would never convert their code to something that OLD, and barely being further developed(don't correct me if im wrong, I personally don't care for something that I barely see being used any more.). If you want to talk about spam lets see how much posts we can find with one smiley in it, eh?

Who cares, its not like this topic was very useful in the first place. Obviously IPS would never convert their code to something that OLD, and barely being further developed(don't correct me if im wrong, I personally don't care for something that I barely see being used any more.). If you want to talk about spam lets see how much posts we can find with one smiley in it, eh?

I guess you would call half the people and staff spammers too huh? I will no longer argue, have the last say if you wish :). I just find that the regular's not posting anymore because it wasn't taken over by people who can't get a clue.

The only idiot here is you, I never asked for ASP.NET support and I am sorry that your brain couldn't realize it.

Just leave it...you didn't understand my point and you're insist about things I never asked for.

LOL, dude, weither it be .NET or ASP.NET, doesn't make a difference, the point is, is that it will NOT be done, EVER so shut your fat mouth and give up.

Learn php dumbass, IPS isn't going to cater to your every whimper. If you don't want to learn PHP, here's a suggestion, code your own ".NET" forum

As a .NET developer I am intrigued by your request. Personally I think you'd be better off learning PHP (it really isn't too hard to learn it with a C# background). That aside I am curious to what extent you'd like to see this asmx webservice be implemented. You mention you want it for mods, but mods in my book mean manual code changes to IPS code for increased functionality ... some would instead call them hacks. If you want to make plugin components then that would seem more feasible. To simply say you want something like this does nothing because they COULD code a SOAP compliant webservice but not with the types of interfaces you're looking for.

Next, I don't see it being feasible for you to write any sort of plugin component that functions the same way a PHP one can with the board wrapper and interfacing. That is not very feasible for a couple reasons, the most prominent being that the webservice would be accessed by the server running the C# code, not the end user with the cookie. The user's presence in IPB is controlled by that. There's no easy way around that, but there are ways.

Ultimately what would happen with a SOAP compliant library is that you would be writing an external application with your own login/validation system, skinning engine, and admin interface (if applicable). Maybe that's what you want. I don't know, again begs the question ... What types of mods are you planning to create?

Keith

I think what the OP was getting at was something akin to a real webservice ( one that uses a WSDL and all that jazz ) or a cross platform API. PHP also has that experimental Java extension that allows the two languages to talk back and forth, and the Parrot project should make cross-language products possible.

Those of you bashing .NET are going to be surprised once you step into the real business world. PHP is a throwaway language and platform, usually only installed to use some COTS application that they don't even care about in the first place. The future that I've seen is building large enterprise systems, using multiple languages and a common API to exploit each one's strengths and hopefully get around their weaknesses.

We have several high-avail systems running on cheap hardware, using a messaging API between Java, Python and PHP, which is what I think the OP was describing ( or the webservice approach ). I haven't done any .NET->PHP yet, but I'm sure it's possible and easy to do.

Indeed. I think the original request was meant to be to expose the IPB API in a SOAP compliant manner (for consuming by Java, .NET, and other clients). This would actually be a good thing - XML-RPC is horrible (the only thing going for it is being less verbose than SOAP) and a SOAP service with applicable WSDL would give IPB a real leg up - you could literally build whatever you want on top of it.

Indeed. I think the original request was meant to be to expose the IPB API in a SOAP compliant manner (for consuming by Java, .NET, and other clients). This would actually be a good thing - XML-RPC is horrible (the only thing going for it is being less verbose than SOAP) and a SOAP service with applicable WSDL would give IPB a real leg up - you could literally build whatever you want on top of it.

Yes Yes exactly!
That's what I meant to, an option to import a SOAP service (in simple words - webservice).
I didn't asked a .NET/ASP.NET support like Zero-CU the moron thinks.
And like you sayed, with webservice you can do everything, and that would be a great improvement for IPB.

Firstly, everyone who's bashing the OP should stop please. ;) While we can disagree about a feature, there's no need for name calling and I'll start handing out warnings if people keep it up.

To the suggestion, it all comes down to demand and time. Would it be cool to be able to do certain things? Many times yes. Is there demand for it, and thus can we squeeze it in with short turn-around time constraints? Not generally, unless a lot of people want it.

The possibility to access any page in IPB as an XML document (as opposed to XHTML) is something we are working at, so perhaps this would work for you. There are some functionality exposed via XML-RPC as Kyanar noted (while you may not like it, it works just fine :P ). Personally I've always preferred REST for it's simplicity, depending upon what the actual action is you are attempting to accomplish.

At the end of the day, while we may or may not support a SOAP interface at some point in the future, the demand has been relatively low to date.

Archived