csv auto populate calendars

BradSmith

I run a large sports forum and we rely on the games to generate traffic. My suggestion is that the calendar be made able to add dates from an outside source. The sports teams release the schedules in formats such as Microsoft outlook calendar files and csv. files. Is it possible to add this function of auto import?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

[quote name='bfarber' date='03 August 2009 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1249316702' post='1837576']
Importing CSV seems almost pointless. I'd prefer to just go ahead and do iCal/vCal if we were to bother.

Ical is fine! I was just suggesting a universal file format so it can be used without proprietary formats.

[quote name='bfarber' date='03 August 2009 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1249316702' post='1837576']
Importing CSV seems almost pointless. I'd prefer to just go ahead and do iCal/vCal if we were to bother.

But assume there are more than 50 users who can send you their own calendar and you want to merge all calendars... if you make entering manually to them, they will not send the calendars to your web... if they send calendars digitalized is a hard task, so a must search for a method for importing them...

[quote name='pisaldi' date='03 August 2009 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1249317791' post='1837586']
But assume there are more than 50 users who can send you their own calendar and you want to merge all calendars... if you make entering manually to them, they will not send the calendars to your web... if they send calendars digitalized is a hard task, so a must search for a method for importing them...

Couldn't they simply import the ical themselves to the calendar if ical was supported? Why would they need to send it to you to import?

[quote name='bfarber' date='03 August 2009 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1249318172' post='1837589']
Couldn't they simply import the ical themselves to the calendar if ical was supported? Why would they need to send it to you to import?

They should be able to import themselves a CSV... not everywhere is used Apple, nor ical...

I didn't know of ical until some minutes, and here Apple is already expensive in front of a normal PC... so the percentage of Apple is very low...

The big majority of people here make their calendars in Excel, and if they don't know how to export to CSV they allways can send the webmaster the Excel and he export to CSV and then import the calendar which will be quicker than import manually the calendar...

I don't think you understand the realities of this. Practically the entire internet uses ical or vcal for calendars. I know of nobody that uses Excel for calendars. Beyond that, how could you possibly make a reliable CSV calendar import - everyone would use different number of columns, different date formats, etc.

vcal/ical is a standardized format that Outlook, Gmail, and any calendar program on the internet already supports, so it would make sense for us to support this too, instead of trying to have a raw CSV import. I'm afraid you're probably better off looking for a custom modification if you are insistent on using CSV.

And for the record, ical/vcal has nothing to do with Apple. As I said, Outlook supports it. :)

[quote name='bfarber' date='03 August 2009 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1249331112' post='1837692']
I don't think you understand the realities of this. Practically the entire internet uses ical or vcal for calendars. I know of nobody that uses Excel for calendars. Beyond that, how could you possibly make a reliable CSV calendar import - everyone would use different number of columns, different date formats, etc.

vcal/ical is a standardized format that Outlook, Gmail, and any calendar program on the internet already supports, so it would make sense for us to support this too, instead of trying to have a raw CSV import. I'm afraid you're probably better off looking for a custom modification if you are insistent on using CSV.

And for the record, ical/vcal has nothing to do with Apple. As I said, Outlook supports it. :)

The real thing is that I'm a fan and an expert of Excel, so I like to do everything with Excel... :rolleyes:

The problem is not the format... the problem is to have a mod for having a more complet calendar with more features...

If there is a mod, then I'll try users to use that format or will search a format converter... :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived