Encode 3.0

Guest Lindsey_

Something I would like to see for IPB 3.0

I know communityseo has this. When you install communityseo it asks for a key. and the whole install folder is encoded which means people cant install IPB 3.0 without a key and the max installs you can do with that key is lets say 3

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hope the max installs would be one...

It does have it's problems. For a start - you'd probably just pirates distribute it with a .sql file that the installer creates thus bypassing the installer entirely. You'd need to encrypt certain core files, which again, has it's problems.

I've suggested before that IPS *could* implement a license key system and encode the ips_kernel directory (a, because it's not really something that needs to be edited nor, if properly documented, even looked at. b, it's used in all IPS products) which would contain the license checker - but some might object to that.

Encoding things like that just goes back to the whole problem behind software activation. People who want to pirate it will still be able to (and quite easily at that), but people who buy the software legitimately get the short end of the stick. Even "nicer" activation schemes always run into issues, which I personally think cancels out the benefits earned by implementing them to begin with.

Encoding things like that just goes back to the whole problem behind software activation. People who want to pirate it will still be able to (and quite easily at that), but people who buy the software legitimately get the short end of the stick. Even "nicer" activation schemes always run into issues, which I personally think cancels out the benefits earned by implementing them to begin with.

True, there will always be issues - but I disagree with you that pirates will still be able to pirate it.

You simply do not want to understand that there is no possibility of preventing people that they can use the IPB illegally. If they encode the IPB, then this is a disadvantage for honest customers. This will not accept who has honestly bought a licence! This is also the reason why all other developers like VBulletin do not encode. An encoding is the end of every forum software!
I understand that it is very annoying for IPS. However, you will be able to solve the problem never so that customers have no disadvantages or restrictions through this.

True, there will always be issues - but I disagree with you that pirates will still be able to pirate it.

If you distribute software in the form of source code, any checking mechanism can easily be disabled. Even if you don't distribute the source code, people have still been able to disable anti-piracy measures. Using irreversible encoding like Ioncube would work, but that would also completely destroy one's ability to make modifications to the source code itself. Even if IPS doesn't officially support modifications, preventing them would likely be a bad business decision.

Soo.. the best thing is to leave it without any protection. However, i had a quick search today on some known nulled scripts forums( o:) ), IP.Board it's not anymore in the center of attention since DGT group is not public anymore (here i mean their old Grinderz forum), now only some poor retarded kids pretend that they null it. Now the most nulled bulletin board software is vBulletin (GYSN).

The guys from WoldLab Burning Board are very kind, they even don't bother to add some basic protection in their WBB 3... :)

If you distribute software in the form of source code, any checking mechanism can easily be disabled. Even if you don't distribute the source code, people have still been able to disable anti-piracy measures. Using irreversible encoding like Ioncube would work, but that would also completely destroy one's ability to make modifications to the source code itself. Even if IPS doesn't officially support modifications, preventing them would likely be a bad business decision.

If something is encoded, then you cannot remove anti-piracy measures in it, because you can't edit it... I am of course talking about ioncube or similar, not base64 or similar.
One would not have to encode every file (which would be problematic for mods) but just files which do not need to be editted.

On a software that I have some involvement in, we encode what is the equivalant of the ips_kernel folder and sources/ipsclass.php - and have developers docs on the functions within them (obviously missing out the anti-piracy and copyright generating ones).
People can't remove the (unencoded) call to these files because then nothing else would work as it's where all the key functions (like connecting to the database, loading the settings, loading the language files) are defined, but isn't a problem because these functions don't need to be changed (I've only ever seen 1 mod which required an edit to ipsclass.php and it could have been done in another file, and never seen a mod which required an edit to ips_kernel).

The only way I could see someone disabling the anti-piracy measures would be to use a previous copy of the encoded files (as IPB is unencoded now) and then conjure up their own copies of the new functions... but obviously that is going to be very unstable, and probably not worth their bother.

(Note, I'm not debating that IPS should do this, only that it's possible to do)

Maybe IPS should AT LEAST Zend Encode the PHP file that checks to see if it's a valid license.

Tony: IonCube is not secure, neither is Zend, both have been decoded but Zend has been decoded less in terms of their version count.

Maybe IPS should AT LEAST Zend Encode the PHP file that checks to see if it's a valid license.

Tony: IonCube is not secure, neither is Zend, both have been decoded but Zend has been decoded less in terms of their version count.

Really? IPS dropped Zend support some time ago - presumably due to flawed security (I mean, what other reason is there?)

• Management

It always amuses me when someone counters a move for increased anti-piracy mechanisms with "people will still pirate it!" Yes, true enough, you will always have those determined enough to use it without paying for it.... however, I'd argue that simply doing nothing on that very premise is, well, ridiculous. It's entirely possible to minimize piracy, even if some still make it through the system.

The term "nulled" also makes me rather nauseous. Let's not pretend it requires any sort of skill beyond that of a third grader to take a viewable source application and... "null" it. If you take away the viewable source aspect, it's no longer to be nulled by your average third grader. :)

But then, unless very good documentations come out, quality of modifications may slip or new coders may not know where to start, all because certain functions cannot be read.

I agree with Lindy and that, but its a two-way system, if you stop one, you stop the other.

Like Lindy, the term "nulled" amuses me. What is there to "null" in IPB? It's viewable source, and the only "callbacks" to us are for update checks and news/bulletins. :rolleyes: Removing a copyright at the bottom of the page is hardly nulling a viewable source script.

Like Lindy, the term "nulled" amuses me. What is there to "null" in IPB? It's viewable source, and the only "callbacks" to us are for update checks and news/bulletins. :rolleyes: Removing a copyright at the bottom of the page is hardly nulling a viewable source script.

However, you can see through this whether somebody has a valid licence...

They can do that anyway if they suspect a site.

I think the feature being suggested is to stop them from being able to "null" it in the first place by using an encoded license checker.

Yes thats what i was thinking

It would be a good Idea
Ips will be spending big amount of hours doing 3.0 for nothing :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Archived